Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #1  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Is it just a "frame of mind?"

I changed my way of eating right after Christmas 2010 and I haven't looked back. I made a committment to myself; I have been losing slow but sure. I followed the principles of the South Beach diet because it is a way
I can eat the rest of my life. I have read on the boards about people that have "planned cheats" once a week, month, or whenever. I have never tried it for myself because I just didn't see it helping me. THIS IS MY OPINION only. What works for someone else might not help me and vice versa.
Tonight I made pizzas because my granddaughters are here visiting from out
of state. I haven't had pizza since I changed my WOE. It's not a trigger food for me, I just don't mind not having it. So I ate more than one piece.
I felt comfortably full when I stopped. Then I thought about it: was that a cheat? Did I eat "off plan"? should I feel guilty? My answer to myself was "no" on all accounts. I will continue to eat the healthy way I have been and not feel guilty about the pizza because I think it's one of those things that will happen from time to time. It did not send me off in a feeding frenzy, I was satisfied and the no guilt thing feels good too. So I am calling this a big NSV for me!! I also only weigh myself every 2 -3 weeks, so I didn't have the worry of "will it show up on my next weigh in?"
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You are doing it! Yes it is a frame of mind, and you got it. Yay you!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Calories matter. The diet you follow is merely a means to and end. The end being restricting calories and being healthy.

So will the pizza show up? Probably not. Depending on the pizza it could be anywhere from 500-1000 calories for two slices. Over the course of 2-3 weeks that is a fairly minor blip on the radar.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

Great job on the NSV Downsizer! I think your frame of mind has a HUGE impact on successes. Tell yourself you can lose the weight you want to and you will do it. I am a huge believer in that. We have more control over ourselves than we think sometimes. Congrats, that's a step in a healthy way of thinking. We are able to socialize and enjoy foods and not feel guilty.
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I think that's how we are "supposed" to be eating--a few slices a pizza no more than a few times a year. Not a few times a month or a few times a week. So it is, as you say, a frame of mind. I think that feeling guilty about eating pizza once in a blue moon will create problems that lead to overeating or eating unhealthy food more often.

It's okay to have treats from time to time--that's why they're called treats, not every day food. I think that part of the obesity problem in this country comes from seeing these kinds of foods as for every day, especially since they're so easily accessible, rather than for certain occasions.

Personally, If I told myself that I couldn't have pizza ever again, I'd go nutso. Depriving myself in terms of food in public, feeling shame and guilt about eating was a lot of what got me into this mess.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/193/140

Height: 5'5"

Good for you! I have finally figured it out too.
In the past when trying to take control/lose weight if I had eaten pizza or any other no no food I would pretty much talk myself into being weak-willed, and hopeless, and I would immediately go back to eating unhealthy junk. This time for some reason something has clicked in my head and if/when I eat something that I consider a no no its not a big deal. Me having a slice of pizza after eating 200 healthy meals really is no big deal in the whole scheme of things. It's very freeing to finally have control over food, and not the other way around.
Agape123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Huge huge HUGE NSV! Congratulations Be proud!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #8  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

congrats on not stressing over that! sounds like you've got a healthy mindset toward all of this, which is great because it'll make maintenance all that much easier. it's exciting to be able to enjoy the same foods skinnier people do without worrying about whether or not you'll gain weight from it.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote