Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Default I had a "drug dream"!

I am a substance abuse counselor. When someone who has been using drugs/alcohol a long time and then get clean and sober it is very common for them - even months into it - to have a dream where they are using. They usually wake up very freaked out and typically those dreams are extremely vivid, so it may even take the person several minutes to realize it was just a dream and they didn't really use. We call this a "drug dream".

Last night I had an extremely vivid dream that I went to Wendy's and ordered a double cheeseburger and fries. I got it to go and was walking away from the Wendy's and taking the fries out of the bag and stuffing them in my mouth. The whole time I was thinking that I shouldn't be doing this and why was I sabotaging myself but I just kept eating. When I woke up I felt really guilty and it did take me a few minutes to process that I hadn't really eaten it!

It just is so weird to have a dream like this and it does remind me so much of an addict's drug dream!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I have those dreams. I had a dream that I was eating two pints of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. I was glad when I opened my eyes that I was not guilty of the crime!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I had a "drug dream" about a month ago. I ate a ton of chocolate and when I started feeling guilty/stuffed, I began putting chocolates in my pockets. That is when I woke up. I felt really bad for a minute, then I realized it wasn't real. It was somehow satisfying actually, felt like I ate a bunch of chocolate, but it was calorie and guilt free. I am sure it is more disturbing to a drug addict though.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #4  
is chubby

Darn I want some of those dreams too I want to eat a swimming pool full of french fries
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/234/125

Height: 5'5"

I had one of those dreams once - years ago when I was doing medifast with no food, and I dreamed I had eaten a whole bunch of sugar glazed donuts. I felt awful when I first woke up, and even felt guilty when I thought about how much I enjoyed the donuts in my dream.
DLSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #6  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

I had a food "drug dream" last week too!! Even in the dream I felt guilty and when I woke up, I felt awful. I was so disappointed in myself and I was even trying to calculate the amount of calories I had 'eaten' before I realized it didn't actually happen!! The relief was awesome!!
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

CherryPie-- those dreams can last WELL PAST months..... i am over 4 years sober now and i STILL get those dreams. ANd you are right-- terryfying.... VIVID...... i wake up in a sweat completely freaked out. Ive noticed they pop up when im going through stressfull times...
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #8  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I had one a month or so ago...I was cramming my face full of a sheet cake in my dream and I was eating all the frosting I possibly could. I woke up completely freaked out and felt so gross.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't think I've had one of those yet. Hmmm. I know my husband had them about smoking when he was quitting.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have had them too--not lately but definitely have had them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #11  

I have the same problem with chocolate
carmencane is offline   Reply With Quote