Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/136/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Ketosis

If I'm following the diet (no cheats) very strictly, not exercising--how is it when I do a urine ketosis test I'm not in ketosis or very little change to the color on the stick? I work the night shift and only get maybe 6 hours of sleep somedays. Could this be causing me to be out of ketosis?
I have WI tomorrow and will discuss with my Dr.
korsstubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152.2/117.6/128

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsstubbe View Post
If I'm following the diet (no cheats) very strictly, not exercising--how is it when I do a urine ketosis test I'm not in ketosis or very little change to the color on the stick? I work the night shift and only get maybe 6 hours of sleep somedays. Could this be causing me to be out of ketosis?
I have WI tomorrow and will discuss with my Dr.
The ketone sticks you buy in stores are first of all not always accurate. The most common reason for your sticks not turning a darker shade of purple or perhaps not a change at all is the large amount of water we drink required on the diet. So if you are doing everything correctly, be assured the test has just become a water drinking test for you and guess what... you passed!
TWoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'2

Good to know Twoww, thanks for the info. i have never tested. I was thinking about getting some strips.
Aacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Ketosis does not have an effect on fat loss. It can help your mood but it doesn't matter if you're in it or not in the context of fat loss.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

On the IP plan ketosis is necessary.
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/150/130

Height: 5'3" 1/2

I have found the best time to check for Ketosis is when I wake up in the morning when the urine is more concentrated...from the research I've done you want the stick to be in the light color..if it is in the darker color you're not drinking enough water. As long as you have the symptoms such as not being hungry, bad breath and I was always thirsty you should be fine.
CarrieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretley View Post
On the IP plan ketosis is necessary.
For what?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
For what?
Have you read Dr. Tran Tien's PDF book? I posted it once before on a thread you were active in, but if you missed it here is the link again

http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG...re_Dr_Tran.pdf

If you don't want to read the whole thing (it's not extremely long) I think you could find your answers in Chapter 7.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #9  
Embracing the suck

I don't have time right now to get into specifics but I've found some highly inaccurate information in that Ebook.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't have time right now to get into specifics but I've found some highly inaccurate information in that Ebook.
When you get the chance I would be interested in hearing that.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #11  
started IP: Jan 24th 2011

S/C/G: 195/173/125

Height: 5'2"

When the body is in the fat burning state — where it has no carbohydrate to burn and is breaking down body fat for fuel, the body is in a state of ketosis-lipolysis (ketosis for short.) This is the only metabolic pathway for fat breakdown (lipolysis.) Therefore, there is no lipolysis without ketosis, no ketosis without lipolysis. The two terms are biologically linked and, therefore, it is appropriate that they be linguistically linked.

So being in ketosis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be.

Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues, and while in ketosis, fat-burning is taking place.
Ginger Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lily View Post
When the body is in the fat burning state — where it has no carbohydrate to burn and is breaking down body fat for fuel, the body is in a state of ketosis-lipolysis (ketosis for short.) This is the only metabolic pathway for fat breakdown (lipolysis.) Therefore, there is no lipolysis without ketosis, no ketosis without lipolysis. The two terms are biologically linked and, therefore, it is appropriate that they be linguistically linked.

So being in ketosis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be.

Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues, and while in ketosis, fat-burning is taking place.
This is not correct. Your body uses fat for fuel all the time except when it is digesting a meal and insulin is in your system. Ketosis is not necessary for fat buring - not even remotely accurate. This is one of the things that is misrepresented in the IP diet ebook. To simply prove my point I'll ask you a simple question. For those people (like the OP) who are not in ketosis and eating only 500-600 calories of protein a day ... how is their body functioning with no fuel??
Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

I'm again pressed for time but here is one thing the ebook has wrong. It suggests that insulin does not get released in the absesnce of carbohydrates. Not true. Protein does cause insulin to be released.

More later.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 5"

I think the OP's question has been answered.
Don't worry about the sticks- they're unreliable. If you're losing consistently, have faith that you're doing it right whether the sticks turn colour or not.

I don't see the point of furthering a debate that has been going on for decades.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I think the OP's question has been answered.
Don't worry about the sticks- they're unreliable. If you're losing consistently, have faith that you're doing it right whether the sticks turn colour or not.

I don't see the point of furthering a debate that has been going on for decades.
There is no debate. There is correct information and then there is incorrect information. Granted there is plenty we don't know but energy balance and ketosis are pretty well understood. The ingestion of protein causing insulin to be released is also well understood. Not that any of this matters to the effectiveness of the IP diet but people should understand why they lose weight on the IP diet.

The reason I even bothered to post is because the OP is under the mistaken belief that if she is not in ketosis due to ketosticks (which as you mentioned correctly are unrelable) is going to somehow effect her. It will effect her, she will be stressed out for no reason. You don't lose weight (fat) due to being in ketosis you lose it due to eating fewer calories than your body needs to operate. You lose weight (fat) fast on the IP diet because you're in a heavy deficit. The IP diet is not magical it is simply one form of a PSMF.

I feel strongly about people having accurate information and being educated because the diet industry runs primarily due to people's ignorance and their desire for an easy solution to weight loss. When I started learning about this topic I read a whole bunch of really stupid stuff online and in popular books that caused me to do a lot of things that were a waste of time and energy along with other things that were downright counterproductive to my goals.

I'm not against the IP diet. There are, however, much better PSMFs out there in my opinion because there are no expensive supplements to buy and you're given accurate information about how and why you're losing weight fat.) The entire idea of an "ideal protein packet" is really silly I hope they don't cost much.