Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #1  

Exclamation Atkins to calorie counting?

I am currently on atkins (only less than 2 weeks in) i have lost some weight about 8 pounds but im realizing to lose i need to eat alot more fat and cheese and eggs....which im not feeling 100 percent comfterble doing, in the back of my mind i think of what if it backfire and i gain? i am getting married in sept so i have a time restriction.

basiclly what is and average weekly loss with cal counting?
will i gain if i make the switch but just keep my carbs low?
any advice?

Thanks!

SW:205
CW:197
GW:140
ericamrodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

I'm pretty new to this, so I can't answer your question completely.

I started as a calorie counter and tried it for 3 weeks @ 1200 calories a day (5'9/205lbs) and was gaining weight, so I upped it to 1400 calories a day and evened out.

I got frustrated and decided to try the Atkins diet. With that, I've been losing about a lb a day, but I'm still in the first week.

I'm actually still calorie counting though. My doctor recommended that I stay around 1600 calories a day and I do that along with the low carbs (under 20 carbs a day).

I'm not eating a ton of eggs. Maybe an omelette every few days. And I try not to eat a ton of fat either. Most of my fat intake comes from mayo. And cheese binds me up so I really only eat about an ounce of cheese a day. I am primarily eating a lot of poultry and seafood (shrimp/tuna/sardines). I am not a huge fan of eggs, so for breakfast today I had a brats.

Anyway, I don't think it will be a problem if you switch, as long as you don't consume more calories than you burn and don't make your entire calorie load consist of carbs, especially since carbs make you even hungrier.
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #3  

Thanks reasons, i have been seeing results on the scale with atkins but i started reading the boards in atkins and read how people (in my wieght rage) are eating 2800 calorie and a ton of fa and how that makes them lose, maybe im just paraniod but i cant wrap my head around how that will honestly work.

ive just been very down that i gain 40lbs in the past year and im so terrified to gain anymore
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #4  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Just a reminder ladies....most of what you lose on low carb during the first week or two is water weight. Eating lots of carbs makes your body retain water. If I had to guess and assign a number....when you quit doing Atkins and start eating more carbs again-whether that is 2 weeks in or 2 years-you're going to gain back atleast 5 pounds of water weight. Not trying to rain on anyone's plan, just keep it in mind so that it isn't a surprise and disappointment. It isn't a fat gain but no one likes to see those numbers go up again.

If you are doing Atkins correctly and you don't have some rare medical condition that would interfere, it is virtually impossible to gain weight (or not lose) while doing it.

I did Atkins for about 6 months and lost 80 pounds. Unfortunately I didn't begin a new plan when I quit and gained it all back. A large percentage of people who do that plan end up in the same boat. If you follow the plan outlined in the book you're supposed to make it a permanent change, going into maintenance-still low carb but trial and error to see how high you can go without gaining weight again. It IS possible to be a lifetimer and maintain, but I found it too restricting to be a permanent change.

If you switch to calorie counting from Atkins and stick to it, there's no reason why you can't continue to lose again. Best of luck in whatever you decide
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #5  

yes, i read other stories like yours lost alot of weight and then gained it all back thats why im curious as to is what is the best plan to lose a nice amount of weight but also keep it off without being forever resricted.

i dont miss carbs i just feel like one day i will and also i am planig for a child shortley after i get married and i dont want to blow up the second that happned
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Erica, have you actually read Dr. Atkins's book? While I have not decided to go on Atkins (yet) I recently read the book and it very well convinced me that fat is not my enemy. I say if Atkins is working for you and you can stay on plan keep going on it and don't worry about your calories. Follow the whole program to find your lifetime carb level and learn to trust your eating choices. From what I understand (and I am NOT an MD), you shouldn't be trying to lose weight on Atkins while you are pregnant but eating at your maintenance level of carbs is OK. People regain weight after stopping all kinds of eating plans so I don't think there's any magic bullet.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamrodrigues View Post
Thanks reasons, i have been seeing results on the scale with atkins but i started reading the boards in atkins and read how people (in my wieght rage) are eating 2800 calorie and a ton of fa and how that makes them lose, maybe im just paraniod but i cant wrap my head around how that will honestly work.

ive just been very down that i gain 40lbs in the past year and im so terrified to gain anymore
I can understand. I see a lot of people thinking that the Atkins diet gives them permission to eat up a heart attack. Unfortunately, that is not the premise of the Atkins diet. If you read the book and follow the plan appropriately, you will see that fats and red meats are encouraged, but its not a free pass to eat 10lbs of bacon a day and call it a weight-loss plan.

I've also gained back around 50lbs after a traumatic past few years. It's depressing to see the weight, but you have to stay positive about it. Don't defeat yourself before you even begin. Get out and get active and appreciate yourself no matter what size you are.
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #8  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
People regain weight after stopping all kinds of eating plans so I don't think there's any magic bullet.
+1

Pick whatever plan you think you can see yourself sticking to for the long haul. If whatever the Atkins maintenance plan is doesn't seem doable forever then it's not the plan for you. If you know counting calories is something you will dread, it's not the plan for you. Pick a plan that actually seems livable.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #9  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I switched from low carb (no more than 30g per day) from August until March and then started calorie counting and haven't had any problem thus far. I track my calories on DailyPlate and keep a food journal (yeah, it's a PITA but if it helps me get healthy, I'll deal) to document what foods make me feel hungry, what foods make me feel full, etc....

My advice would be to try calorie counting for a week or so and then compare it to your weeks with Atkins. Good luck!
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

I moderate carbs, do a little extra protein, and count calories. The combo has really worked out well for me. I can lose eating on the higher end of carbs if my calories are in range but I don't get carb cravings so bad when I moderate them. Why not mix and match plans to cater a plan to your needs?

Last edited by 4star; 04-16-2011 at 07:01 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamrodrigues View Post
I am currently on atkins (only less than 2 weeks in) i have lost some weight about 8 pounds but im realizing to lose i need to eat alot more fat and cheese and eggs....which im not feeling 100 percent comfterble doing, in the back of my mind i think of what if it backfire and i gain? i am getting married in sept so i have a time restriction.

basiclly what is and average weekly loss with cal counting?
will i gain if i make the switch but just keep my carbs low?
any advice?

Thanks!

SW:205
CW:197
GW:140
Hello Erica,

While I am certainly not an expert, I just celebrated 7 years on Atkins this past week. When people ask me how I've managed to be so successful doing Atkins, my response is always the same....buy the book, read the book BEFORE you attempt this plan (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior editions), re-read the book. This is critical for doing the plan correctly Don't rely on the Atkins website or on hearsay from other's mainly because most people have the wrong perception of Atkins as being the all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. While those foods are permitted on Atkins, it is not a license to overindulge. Atkins encourages specific guidelines which should definitely be followed to be successful. In fact, I'm sure it would greatly surprise most Atkins nay-sayers that Atkins encourages plenty of green veggies & salads from Day 1.
As the saying goes, "Knowledge is power". That knowledge comes from reading the book and doing the plan the way the book recommends.
When done correctly, Atkins works. I'm living proof, 7 years and still going strong!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-16-2011 at 07:31 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

I have been on Atkins twice and was a hard core low carb believer. I didn't just "diet" - I read all his books, twice some from cover to cover, did my own research and read studies - completely "dove in" to the concept and all the principles. Did it the right way. Yes I lost weight, was 140 and the minute I started to eat normal foods like bananas and apples and some forbidden foods I would gain like crazy. I have yo-yo'd 50+ pounds twice in my life on Atkins and this time said "enough". A lot of the weight is water as carboHYDRATES are mostly that - try reading a wikipedea article for more help about this.

Not everyone can be successful on a diet that eliminates most fruits, bread, grains and sweets. For people like me, it was torture and unrealistic and I should have recognized it from the start.

I have never imagined in my wildest dreams that I can have bagels and chocolates and still drop mad weight on calorie counting. I am a strong believer in this also because I found Atkins used to make me want to binge on apples and grapes - how crazy is that.

Ok , I am rambling on but my point is that calorie counting and weight lifting is a sure way to go to lose weight permanently and look fitter and eat whatever food you want in moderation.

Last edited by Kateryna; 04-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote