UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:57 PM   #1  
Theres no stopping me now

Default Dieting Know How

Picked this information up on my travels.

Some reasons why diets don't work.

1. We don't have a good incentive

To find out if you have a good incentive, ask yourself a question,
How will I benefit from losing weight? If you can't answer this question or if you're not sure, then you don't have a good enough incentive.

2. We don't make a personal plan

We all perform better when we have a target to aim for. Why? Because it helps us to measure our progress and feel a sense of achievement when we succeed. Set yourself a realistic weight target and a realistic amount of time to achieve it.

3. We don't have the patience to be slim

Many dieters want to solve their weight problem IMMEDIATELY.
We start on Monday and if we haven't lost at least 5 pounds by Sunday night, we give up. Get real! No one solves a weight problem overnight

4. We don't choose a sensible diet

Americans are estimated to spend $6 billion each year on weight loss products that are fraudulent or completely useless. In 1993 alone, the US government banned 110 ingredients in diet products because the manufacturers couldn't prove they worked. No wonder so many slimmers fail to lose weight.

Don't make the same mistake! Find a SENSIBLE diet and ignore the rest.

5. We don't follow our diet properly

Even if we choose a sensible diet, most people don't follow it properly. Why not? We get bored! Unfortunately, being seriously overweight is a lot more boring than dieting.

The Moral?
If you start a sensible diet, follow it properly.
Don't spend half your life dieting.
Do it once and do it properly.
This doesn't mean you have to be perfect all the time - no one is perfect.
But you won't succeed unless you take it seriously and make it a priority.

6. We let ourselves go hungry

No matter what diet we choose, most dieters fall into the trap of allowing themselves to go hungry. We get tired, irritable and unhappy. We reach for a nice fatty instant snack. If you get hungry when you're dieting, then EAT.

7. We're not prepared for bad days

All dieters have 'bad days', or even 'bad weeks.' But some dieters give up as soon as they have them. They go out for an unplanned meal or have a binge, and then throw up their hands in despair and say to themselves: 'I'm a failure. I'll never be slim.'

A better approach
When you have a 'bad day', go with the flow, enjoy the binge and when it's over go back on your diet. The worst that will happen is that your weight loss will be slightly delayed. But so what?

8. We don't take exercise

When we start dieting, our body notices immediately and starts to slow down in order to conserve energy. This causes our weight loss to slow down, too. The best answer to this problem is to boost our energy requirement by taking exercise.

9. We're not prepared to take control

Stress makes us eat. When we diet, the stress is worse because we CAN'T get rid of it by eating this stuff. So the stress gets even bigger! We need to take control. In a nutshell - TAKE CONTROL!! Don't allow people or situations to make you fat. Work out what to do BEFORE you start dieting. Don't wait until stress happens.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:41 PM   #2  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

What a great post Sal! It is absolutely true, and I am guilty of much of it. I do take exercise, I do have good, clear reasons as to why I should lose weight, and I do have a sensible diet, I eat better foods, and eat about 15-25% fat in my diet, but the other points are sadly lacking in my plan. Especially letting myself get too hungry, and not planning ahead. Those are my down falls. I will print this list and make a clear plan of action, and take all of the rest of this excellent advice. Thank you for this post it will help a lot!
Closed Thread