Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Default WOW at the price of weight watchers in Australia

i was talking with my parents via webcam this evening, and i made the suggestion that my dad join weight watchers. He said he'd look into it and really consider it (he keeps having a reoccurring hernia - i was thinking if he lost some weight on his stomach, it might stop stretching and there for reoccurring.
But they charge $60 there, which will immediately make him change his mind about it.
I hate that weight loss programs cost (usually) alot of money to join, or do them, yet the concern is always that people are unhealthy and obese. I kind of wish that things were cheaper, to allow certain families in certain incomes the opportunity to lose weight. (not that my parents are dirt broke, lol my dad does work but they had a surprise baby less than 2 years ago, and they still support my older brother (hes 24))

and..... end rant Thanks for reading
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #2  

Is that $60 per week or the registration price?
angelskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #3  

60 a month... i pay 40 and free reg etc
Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #4  

In Canada you can sometimes get 1/2 off registration. I pay $15 a week or $130 for 10 weeks.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #5  

You didn't allow for the rate of exchange between AU $ and US $. WW has to pay employees, rent space, print materials, etc. so they do have a lot of expenses.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #6  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Hmm. Well, 60 a month doesn't sound expensive to me. I'm in Canada, and I know the money's different (exchange rate and such) but I pay $18.07 a week CAD, which comes out to 72.28 per month taxes included. I'm lucky, I joined in January when WW had a promotion where you could join and not have to pay the initial registration fee.

I know the price is definitely a deterrent for some people. ****, it was almost a deterrent for me. But then I sat down and calculated how much I spent on junk food per week, and it came out to over $25 a week. So really, I was *saving* money by joining WW! *L*

Having said that, I hope your dad does decide to join. After all, it couldn't hurt, right?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #7  

WW is still cheaper than lots of programs. My friend joined one program and they gave her a credit card it cost so much. I think in three months she had paid a few thousand.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #8  

if the converstion rate, was meant for me. I worked it out. US to Aus... it should have only been $37 there? =p
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

What does he spend on groceries right now? Eating out? Alcohol? Prescription medications/doctors visits?

I found that the price of WW was more than covered by the money I saved on food and wine. Also, investments in my health are the most important ones.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #10  

my parents dont drink, and they spend alot of money on food but mostly because my older brother still lives at home and eats whatever he can, or wants. Dad also eats quite a bit, so i did explain to him that its mostly about portion controlling.
They just dont have the money, with my under-developing 20 month brother (he has to go to a therapist, etc cos he doesnt walk or talk more than 4 words)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

WW is an excellent program but there are other diets that don't cost a cent. Calorie counters is one, there are others. Atkins and South Beach and many others as well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote