Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #1  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

S/C/G: 152/143/120

Height: 5'

Default Any Runners doing IP?

Hi!
If there is another thread out there that addresses this, please let me know.

I am still in Phase 1 but "training" (using an easy plan because I'm on IP) for a Half at the end of April.

I'm pretty sure I won't be on Phase 3 by then (isn't that when you get to add carbs back in?) so I'm a little concerned about keeping my tank fueled for 13.1 miles without bonking!

Currently I've been doing my long runs on a Chocolate Drink Mix and while I made it through 9 miles pretty well last Saturday, I could tell the tank was empty at mile 8 (in the past I would have had a GU or something at mile 5-6). I did eat a bar right after I finished.

I am going to bring all of this up with my IP consultant (but have not found her to be the most knowledgeable tool in the shed, if you know what I mean) so I'm also doing a shout out here, in case any of you have dealt with this.

Okay, thanks for any response--Keep on keeping on!
NonieRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

I know you would find this hard to believe given my listed weight right now, but I have run several half marathons and three full marathons (Marine Corps once, Baltimore twice) and my experience was that low carb and running did not mix. I had lowcarb buddies of mine who were able to make it work, but it never did for me. Hope it works for you and enjoy your running!!
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm wanting to get back to running. Tracked my calories today and found I was eating 1400. Wondering if that's enough to handle running. My Net Carbs are about 35 - which is more than I was eating on Atkins.
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

I don't know about you, but when I did long runs and when I was running 3-5 miles 3 or 4 times a week, too, I ate a LOT---I was starving!!! It ended up that I actually GAINED weight in my running days---like 20 pounds in 2 years.
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #5  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonieRuns View Post
Hi!
If there is another thread out there that addresses this, please let me know.

I am still in Phase 1 but "training" (using an easy plan because I'm on IP) for a Half at the end of April.

I'm pretty sure I won't be on Phase 3 by then (isn't that when you get to add carbs back in?) so I'm a little concerned about keeping my tank fueled for 13.1 miles without bonking!

Currently I've been doing my long runs on a Chocolate Drink Mix and while I made it through 9 miles pretty well last Saturday, I could tell the tank was empty at mile 8 (in the past I would have had a GU or something at mile 5-6). I did eat a bar right after I finished.

I am going to bring all of this up with my IP consultant (but have not found her to be the most knowledgeable tool in the shed, if you know what I mean) so I'm also doing a shout out here, in case any of you have dealt with this.

Okay, thanks for any response--Keep on keeping on!
I'm doing a half this weekend and a full this summer so i've been training a lot while on IP. I have found that if I don't have a restricted before or after my run, I burn muscle without any weight loss. I've found that eating one or two restricted items before a long run followed by 1 serving of tuna or 1 or 2 egg whites after my runs works best. Plus, if I have two restricted items before my run, I'm not hungry after my run, but i'm super thirsty!
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/132/120

Height: 5'2"

HI again! We've talked before about this- i'm glad u started a thread! I was planning on training for a half at the end of spring, but gave up due to how TIRED/hungry i was on this diet when i did run. I"ve put off any real running until i get on phase 2 or 3. I will do some run/walk intervals now, but nothing too tough. If i could find a happy medium for running, i would definitely continue training, but for now.... i get to be lazy.
debonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 340/335/200

Height: 6'1"

Not knowing much about running nutrition, other than hearing about the traditional spaghetti dinners the day before, is fat a viable energy source prior to and during a run?
stinhoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

I am a runner but have completely stopped while doing IP. I am too worried about losing muscle. If I were you, I would frequently check my body analysis to make sure what percentage of fat vs muscle you are losing per week. At my IP center they have an analyzer that is suppose to be very accurate. But I imagine only some centers have them. It is ~$4 per analysis, but may be worth you doing 1x every couple weeks. You might want to check into it.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #9  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

Hello Fellow Runners (past, present or wannbees)!

Thanks for all of your responses. First of all, I had my weigh-in this morning (after a 5 mile run) down 2.5 lbs. more--yipppee! Only 3 lbs. to a healthy BMI!

I asked my counselor about all of this because 1. I don't want to jeopardize all the hard work I've put in to the IP program; 2. I don't want to "bonk" on the race surrounded by 35,000 runners and 3. I don't want to start using GU, etc. on race day and find myself spending all my time in the port-a-potties along the course!

So what I got was a copy of an Athletic Protocol that I am going to use as a guideline. They definitely recommended staying away from the GU's, etc. for the exact side effect I could expect!

Basically the plan just boosts your calorie intake before and after your workout (high calorie IP meal before the workout and low calorie IP meal after the workout). Other meals as usual with dinner and bedtime snack listed as "...from Phase One protocol."

I think this sounds similar to what SWP said he/she is doing--GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RACE THIS WEEKEND--which one are you doing? I live in WA.

So I'm going to give that a try on my 10 mile run this Saturday and we'll see if it makes any difference to 1. how I feel on during the run, and 2. my weight loss next Tuesday.

FYI - I am totally a slow loser (21.5 lbs. in 11 weeks) so this could either help boost things along or possibly backfire!

Deb: I think you just have to do what works for you, but I found that I really needed to get back into it (running) and work through the tired to get to those endorphins again!

Stinhoutx: I have always avoided too much fat before a run/race.

Tate: Of course I can believe you were a marathoner and I know weight gain can be a common occurence when doing long distance training. I would love to do the Marine Corps event--it's on my bucket list!

I'll keep you posted--may start a runners thread again next week.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #10  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityberry View Post
I am a runner but have completely stopped while doing IP. I am too worried about losing muscle. If I were you, I would frequently check my body analysis to make sure what percentage of fat vs muscle you are losing per week. At my IP center they have an analyzer that is suppose to be very accurate. But I imagine only some centers have them. It is ~$4 per analysis, but may be worth you doing 1x every couple weeks. You might want to check into it.
You were posting as I was posting! I did not run for the first 6 weeks on the program. Didn't feel like it and was concerned about stalling the weight loss too. But by then, my energy was back and my counselor agreed it would be a good thing start again.

How funny that you mention the analyzer--our IP Center said they were getting one soon! AND I wondered how much it would cost (I figured it wouldn't be free)!

I am not a hard-core runner (9-10 min. miler; closer to 11 min. on a long training run) so I don't think I'm in jeopardy of losing muscle. I am anxious to get tested with this new machine though!

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #11  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmouse View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm wanting to get back to running. Tracked my calories today and found I was eating 1400. Wondering if that's enough to handle running. My Net Carbs are about 35 - which is more than I was eating on Atkins.
The calories listed on the Athletic Protocol I got says: 1500-1800 and that aerobic sports (such as running) require the lower calorie intake. You may want to get a copy of this from your IP Center.

It also says that it depends on the size of the athlete of which, we are the exact same height! I started the IP program because I no longer wanted to be a short, round runner! The short part I can't fix, but the round part I can!

Happy Running Again!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #12  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonieRuns View Post
Hello Fellow Runners (past, present or wannbees)!

Thanks for all of your responses. First of all, I had my weigh-in this morning (after a 5 mile run) down 2.5 lbs. more--yipppee! Only 3 lbs. to a healthy BMI!

I asked my counselor about all of this because 1. I don't want to jeopardize all the hard work I've put in to the IP program; 2. I don't want to "bonk" on the race surrounded by 35,000 runners and 3. I don't want to start using GU, etc. on race day and find myself spending all my time in the port-a-potties along the course!

So what I got was a copy of an Athletic Protocol that I am going to use as a guideline. They definitely recommended staying away from the GU's, etc. for the exact side effect I could expect!

Basically the plan just boosts your calorie intake before and after your workout (high calorie IP meal before the workout and low calorie IP meal after the workout). Other meals as usual with dinner and bedtime snack listed as "...from Phase One protocol."

I think this sounds similar to what SWP said he/she is doing--GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RACE THIS WEEKEND--which one are you doing? I live in WA.

So I'm going to give that a try on my 10 mile run this Saturday and we'll see if it makes any difference to 1. how I feel on during the run, and 2. my weight loss next Tuesday.

FYI - I am totally a slow loser (21.5 lbs. in 11 weeks) so this could either help boost things along or possibly backfire!

Deb: I think you just have to do what works for you, but I found that I really needed to get back into it (running) and work through the tired to get to those endorphins again!

Stinhoutx: I have always avoided too much fat before a run/race.

Tate: Of course I can believe you were a marathoner and I know weight gain can be a common occurence when doing long distance training. I would love to do the Marine Corps event--it's on my bucket list!

I'll keep you posted--may start a runners thread again next week.

I'm doing the Race for Roses in PDX I'm super excited, but rather nervous.
My calories are higher than those not running. I have one or two restricted packets before my run with a smaller protein afterward. Recently, my coach told me that its okay to have a banana before a 10+ mile run - so i'm REALLY looking forward to doing that!!!

I too am a slow loser in terms of pounds, but my body fat has reduced significantly! Hopefully, that means my running will only get better!
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 130.5/123.25/115

Height: 5'0"

I am definetly a runner, scheduled for a half on May 1st, but I have not gone any further than a short 3-4 mile run AND for example, last week, I went to Kickboxing and Intense Cardio on Saturday (2 1/2 hrs) and Combat on Sunday (1 hr) and didn't lose an ounce from Fri-Sunday, then didn't work out at all Mon-today and lost 3#.

Although I miss the mental part of the workout and how it makes me feel, I honestly can agree that while on this diet, exercise should be minimal.

I wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me.
Melissa413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinhoutx View Post
Not knowing much about running nutrition, other than hearing about the traditional spaghetti dinners the day before, is fat a viable energy source prior to and during a run?
Despite popular belief, I heard that a bowl full of carbs the night before is actually NOT good for athletes. The carbs tend to get digested too quickly to be able to use them 12 to 24 hours later. For a run, and when not on a strict diet, carbs are best consumed within half an hour or so, because then they are immediately available for burning.

That wouldn't work for us IPers though, of course.

I would check with a doctor regarding your question. My best guess is protein is better, so that you're not losing muscle. Or maybe a mix of protein and fat. Both are long-lasting, so you'll have energy for a longer time, and both are burned at about the same rate.

Don't quote me though, as I'm neither a doctor or nutritionist.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #15  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treena View Post
Despite popular belief, I heard that a bowl full of carbs the night before is actually NOT good for athletes. The carbs tend to get digested too quickly to be able to use them 12 to 24 hours later. For a run, and when not on a strict diet, carbs are best consumed within half an hour or so, because then they are immediately available for burning.

That wouldn't work for us IPers though, of course.

I would check with a doctor regarding your question. My best guess is protein is better, so that you're not losing muscle. Or maybe a mix of protein and fat. Both are long-lasting, so you'll have energy for a longer time, and both are burned at about the same rate.

Don't quote me though, as I'm neither a doctor or nutritionist.
That is exactly what my IP clinic is advising (while distance running on the program)--Stay away from the carbs and take in more protein and that is what I'm going to try this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Also regarding the carb-loading prior to a race--from all I've been told from more experienced runners: DON'T do anything the night before/day of the race that you haven't tried (and done successfully) during your training. No different foods. Spaghetti isn't a magical food for running and "loading up" on anything wouldn't be a good decision for anyone--you are better off to stick with what you've been doing in your weeks of training leading up to the race.

Not a physician or nutritionist either--just common sense!