Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 141/124/120?

Height: 5'7"

Default Cheating on IP with Mr Atkins??

Hi. I'm brand new to this amazing site, as well as the IP diet. I'm only on day 5. Days 2 and 3 weren't too bad, Day 4 was awesome, and I felt a little tired this afternoon on Day 5. I'm looking forward to having great results down the road.

Here's my question: Has anyone cheated on IP with Atkins? I have a trip coming up in several weeks and am pondering my ability to stay on IP. I am planning out how to stick with IP and I am going to try my best, but if doesn't work out, would it be possible for me to "go Atkins" for about 5 days in an effort to stay in ketosis? I would attempt to stay within Atkins' "induction phase" protocol, which requires a daily max of 20g or carbs, and then the rest protein and fat (still trying to figure out the proportions of those).

I have yet to ask my coach about this, but am wondering what the consensus is here. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/241/133

Height: 5' 3"

Hi, there!

Since it's going to be several weeks before this trip, I'd encourage you to read the "Traveling while on IP" and "Restaurant Guide for IP" threads before making a decision to go off protocol. IPers with months of experience have shared their tips, and they are great ones! Sometimes I'm sure people have made 'lesser of two evils' type choices when faced with no other options, but from what I've read there are lots of ways to stay OP while traveling. I know I don't want to do anything to mess with the success I'm having, and that would be my concern for you. While there may be some similarities between Atkins & IP, there are a great many foods Atkins protocol allows that IP doesn't, and those choices could slow or stall your IP progress.

I lost about 30# using Atkins protocol a couple years ago, but it took me months to do it. I'm down 24# in 6 weeks on IP, and looking forward to a good WI again tomorrow. I really think once you experience the success of IP, you'll want to find a way to stay OP during your travels!!

That's my 2 cents - and worth about that much!

Good luck on your journey - and milk this site for all of the tips from the experienced ones - they are lifesavers!!

Sherilyn
Shetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

I've had atkins shakes and bars when I'm out and need something..they haven't hurt my weight loss.
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #4  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I have been on IP since September. I did IP protocol 100% until Christmas Day...when I landed in Las VEGAS!!!! I followed IP except I had wine, cheese, olives. I then followed that with a 2 week break in which I followed Atkins. I since have been 100% on protocol and then occasionally I have a cheat day....in which I follow Atkins....wings, blue cheese, nuts, olives, avocado, wine.....it keeps me in ketosis.

When I don't follow Atkins and I knock myself out....IT STINKS....it is very hard to get remotivated and get back in. VERY HARD.

My suggestion because you are so new to the diet...try to follow IP as best as possible during your travels, it will make it easier in the long run to stick to this diet. But if you need a cheat or something think low carb only.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

I did Atkins for a week when I had to go to a funeral. I didn't lose any weight that week at all. In fact, I didn't lose any weight when I did the Atkins diet a few years ago. For some people, fat can have a glycemic response in the body just like sugar. Also, Atkins subtracts all sugar alcohol to get a net carbs amount. But some people's bodies react to sugar alcohol like regular sugar. Mine apparently does. In my opinion, stick to IP.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgypudding View Post
I did Atkins for a week when I had to go to a funeral. I didn't lose any weight that week at all. In fact, I didn't lose any weight when I did the Atkins diet a few years ago. For some people, fat can have a glycemic response in the body just like sugar. Also, Atkins subtracts all sugar alcohol to get a net carbs amount. But some people's bodies react to sugar alcohol like regular sugar. Mine apparently does. In my opinion, stick to IP.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't lose during my Atkins time...but my goal wasn't to lose, but to maintain while I was away. Everyone is so different...but it is a way to stay in ketosis and have more variety.

I am thinking of doing this on Saturday for my Finger Lakes Wine Tour. I might pack some cheese, olives, salami....while the others snack on all the food pairings for the wine at each stop. Not sure if I will do Atkins or knock myself out of ketosis.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 141/124/120?

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, everyone for your responses and support!

Darbs, funny that you mentioned Vegas because that's where I'm going on my trip, too! It is my firm intention to do my very best to stay on protocol while there. I just ordered a small rolling cooler so I can take food with me, and I'm going to get some Walden Farms travel salad dressings, and make a grocery run while there, if necessary.

But, I do appreciate the input on what has happened when an IPer goes more Atkins-like for a few days. It gives me a good feeling to know that if I am not perfect while in Vegas, I can at least stay in ketosis and hopefully not gain any weight. IF, I end up doing that, I envision myself grazing on the meats, fish, and eggs at the buffet, and then eating my measured veggies on my own at the hotel (or maybe bringing a 1C measure with me to the buffet), and maybe throwing in an Atkins bar as a dessert. I have maybe 15 pounds of fat to lose, and by the time I take my trip, I am hoping I will be well on my way there, so I am not too concerned about not losing for 1 week.

By the way, today is Day 6, and I am feeling great! No hunger, no lightheadedness (cross fingers it lasts!), etc. Yesterday, I felt like poo poo for about 4 hours -- weak, tired, lightheaded, and like gravity was stronger on my body -- almost like I was sick. Today, I feel as normal as I did before I started.

Thanks again, everyone!
Charliesmom

My only gripe with the plan is that I seem to have a problem digesting the lactose and protein concentrates/isolates. This is not new to me, and so far on IP, I get a very bloated. distended abdomen. BUT, that's a small discomfort for what I am hoping will be a major pay-off!
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #8  

Here is my exact eating from Vegas:

woke up and did a 4 mile walk (every morning) and drank 40 ounces of water
At end of walk drank vanilla RTD in a green tea

around noontime I drank a chocolate RTD and if I could find veggies I ate them, but I skipped them several days

Around 3pm I ate an IP bar

ARound 6pm we went to dinner and I ordered meat and veggies and I was very strict about that they were prepared in evoo only and nothing else.

I also drank 2 glasses of red wine with dinner and 2 glasses after dinner

2 of the 6 nights I shared a cheese and olive app with my hubby.

I was down one pound the day I returned from Vegas and then I proceeded to lose one pound a day for the six days after I returned (probably some fluid retention from the wine).

Good luck to you.

I stayed away from buffets to avoid any temptation...plus it was great eating at nice restaurants...I had filet, lobster....yummy
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #9  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shetaz View Post
Hi, there!

Since it's going to be several weeks before this trip, I'd encourage you to read the "Traveling while on IP" and "Restaurant Guide for IP" threads before making a decision to go off protocol. IPers with months of experience have shared their tips, and they are great ones! Sometimes I'm sure people have made 'lesser of two evils' type choices when faced with no other options, but from what I've read there are lots of ways to stay OP while traveling. I know I don't want to do anything to mess with the success I'm having, and that would be my concern for you. While there may be some similarities between Atkins & IP, there are a great many foods Atkins protocol allows that IP doesn't, and those choices could slow or stall your IP progress.

I lost about 30# using Atkins protocol a couple years ago, but it took me months to do it. I'm down 24# in 6 weeks on IP, and looking forward to a good WI again tomorrow. I really think once you experience the success of IP, you'll want to find a way to stay OP during your travels!!

That's my 2 cents - and worth about that much!

Good luck on your journey - and milk this site for all of the tips from the experienced ones - they are lifesavers!!

Sherilyn

hi sherilyn! were is the Traveling While on IP thread? i searched the forum but couldn't find it. i leave for a trip on weds, and though i am very prepared, i would still like to read through that thread before i go.

thanks!

laura
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #10  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
hi sherilyn! were is the Traveling While on IP thread? i searched the forum but couldn't find it. i leave for a trip on weds, and though i am very prepared, i would still like to read through that thread before i go.

thanks!

laura
It is one of the stickies at the top of the IP forum. It has some really good iseas.
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #11  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chick View Post
It is one of the stickies at the top of the IP forum. It has some really good iseas.
of course, it would be the one place i didn't look. jeez. thanks lucky!!!
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/175/140

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollmark View Post
I've had atkins shakes and bars when I'm out and need something..they haven't hurt my weight loss.
Thanks Hollmark -- i just sat down here at work to eat lunch and realized I grabbed my salad and veggies but left my IP drink packet on the counter at home Fortunately I had a couple of Atkins shakes in the fridge here and comparing the "facts" vs. the IP list, it equals out roughly to one of the soups as far as carbs and sugar go. Calories are slightly higher. It's certainly not something I intend to make a habit, but good to know if it happens again.
puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
Thanks Hollmark -- i just sat down here at work to eat lunch and realized I grabbed my salad and veggies but left my IP drink packet on the counter at home Fortunately I had a couple of Atkins shakes in the fridge here and comparing the "facts" vs. the IP list, it equals out roughly to one of the soups as far as carbs and sugar go. Calories are slightly higher. It's certainly not something I intend to make a habit, but good to know if it happens again.

I use the Atkins shakes sometimes....the calories are too high and the fat is too high. I use 2/3 of a shake instead of a whole shake.

I will be cheating this weekend with Mr. Atkins so that I don't get knocked out of ketosis. I know I won't lose, but at least I will get losing again quickly.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/241/133

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post

thanks!

laura
Thanks, Lucky Chick, for picking up the ball for me! Sorry, Laura, that I didn't get back to you a couple days ago. I missed your post, wasn't intentionally ignoring you! Hope you have/had a great trip!!

Sherilyn
Shetaz is offline   Reply With Quote