Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #1  

Default vacation food ideas?

Suggestions please! I'll be heading out of town on a road trip with DH and kids and I'm trying to prepare for the lack of control I'll have over the available food choices. Eeekkkk! Once we get to our destination in Fla I'll have a fridge and micowave available, but no stove. We'll go pick up a few groceries but for the most part we'll be eating out. I think I can handle the restaurants as long as I'm eating properly the rest of the day (so I'm not starving when we get there).

I'm going to keep counting calories all week but I also want to have protien snacks to keep me in check and energized. So here's what I've got so far:

crackers in 100cal baggies to have with 80 cal tuna cups
going to buy low fat yogurts to keep on hand when we get there
pre-packaged oatmeal for breakfast

That's it! I can do these everyday as snacks, breakfast and lunches. But I'd like to get a few good protien bars, just don't know what I like. Maybe some fiber bars or something seeing as how fruits and veggies are hard to come by with all the restaurants and fast food.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I love both Bora Bora and KIND bars. My favorite Bora Bora is Exotic almond coconut, and my favorite KIND bars are apricot almond and dark chocolate cherry. When you are at the store picking up yogurt, I would buy some fruit. I'd bring along some single serve packages of nuts.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

How about string cheese ... hummus and crackers/cut up veggies (peppers, carrots, etc.), def. pick up loads of fruit at the market when you get there. I also bring cereal with me - packed in single serve baggies and use as snack or dry breakfast with fruit sometimes. (kashi, shredded mini wheats)

Have FUN!!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree on the cereal and string cheese. Also I like to keep a baggy of 1oz or so of almonds in my purse (sometimes with a few dark chocolate kisses) just in case I get really hungry (or dizzy, i get dizzy alot).

But since it IS vacation, eat what you want just watch your potions. Order a small and if that's not possible box up half at the beginning of the meal and then eat THAT later for another meal. Just think you get to enjoy it 2x!

Have fun!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #5  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

What Elizabeth said is the bonus to having a fridge/micro at the hotel. That way you can enjoy a nice dinner twice
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #6  

Thanks! I always end up with leftovers. Yay for the microwave! I'll definitely get some fruit and veggies to keep in the fridge there, too. It didn't occur to me to bag up some cereal portions. I'll do that for sure because I do like to snack on cereal. aimeebell- I'll be looking for the Bora Bora bars. Exotic Almond Coconut sounds awesome!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I recently went on vacation and I made sure to have a fridge and microwave. I made sure I brought homemade soup (for lunch), fruit, neufchatel with chopped spinach and sun dried tomatoes mixed in, whole grain bread, wasa, baby carrots, and hummus. I also had access to a gym in the hotel, so that made it easy.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I went on a trip to Quebec (old French Canada) during my weight loss phase. I determined that I was going to enjoy nice dinners with a glass of wine at the end of the day, so I was sure to eat really balanced meals throughout the day and walk a ton. For dinner, I would eat SIMPLY. A nice, small steak, roasted veggies, no starch, and a glass of wine. No complicated sauces dishes. No bread on the table. It worked well and I didn't feel deprived. For the first time in...um...ever, I lost weight on vacation and focused on all of the other fantastic things about vacation other than food! Have fun!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote