Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default A Bag of Skin

I'm going to start by saying that I don't have a lot of loose skin. I have some, but not a lot. I shouldn't be complaining. That said, I'm going to complain.

I have 8 pounds left to lose. I am not expecting miracles or a perfect body, but even with exercising and toning, I feel almost like a skeleton in a bag of skin. When I lay on my side, my belly flops to the side but my pelvis bone juts out like a skeleton. I feel too fat and too skinny at the exact same moment and it's weirding me out.

I know I'm adjusting and my body isn't done changing and my skin will change still, possibly, but it's just weird. Did any of you feel like this? Did it go away?
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

OMG...yes!

I know exactly what you are saying. There are parts of me that look downright skeletal. LOL. However, my belly also does that hanging thing when I lay on my side, and my boobs? well, don't even get me started.

We are the same height, but I am 12 lbs. heavier. We have the same goal weight. Have you considered changing your goal weight to around 140? I have, but I need to lose at least 10 more to figure it out.

I think we need more time to adjust to our new bodies. I don't have any real advice because I am suffering with the same thoughts and ideas. Let me know if you figure it out.

Seriously, you have done a terrific job. I hope you are very proud of your accomplishment.

Hugs to you
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #3  

I still want 135. There is still belly fat (not just skin) and 135 is where I was happy before. If I stopped at 140 I wouldn't freak, but I want to keep trying.

I am glad I am not alone! And you are doing great, too. I hope you are proud, too! It feels so good to be normal again. Even normal in a bag of skin, haha.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #4  

Ha, I just saw on your profile that your birthday is two days after mine. We are practically twins!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #5  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Boy is this so familar, most of my sagging and fat is in my belly I've been at my goal weight for a year with my weight maintaining up and down 5pds all through this year but I'm getting so tired of having to wear my body suit when I need a smooth siloette. So this week I decided to see if doing core excercises eating foods that promote loss of belly fat and dropping another 10pds will help. Other than a tummy tuck which I don't quailfy for I'm gonna try this. I'm hoping I will see some improvement. I think before I get to far I'll have my husband take a before and after just so I can see if there was any change. I keep you posted
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

I didn't have WLS but I know what you mean. I have extra skin even a little fat on my bottom half but if I go any lower(I have before), i look gaunt and too skinny in my face, shoulders, arms, etc and coworkers start putting anorexia pamphlets in my mail box.(yup had that happen). Since it is not so much skin that would require surgery,I see it as "battle scars"

Last edited by monmis12; 02-11-2011 at 07:13 AM.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

I've been thinking about this thread on and off over the past couple of days. and i'd like to add a few comments. first of all, rachael, there WILL be some "rearrangement" as time goes on, but the extent depends on your age, your skin's elasticity, and your genes. the other thing is that there are still fat cells under there - and they're not going away. also, as we age, our bodies shift - gravity takes its toll.

so, we're not going to look like we did at 18, unless there's some surgery involved. while you work on looking/feeling your best, please try to convince that little voice in your head that's saying that "you look awful" to try saying "you've done a great job." self-talk is important.

jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb

How much core work have some of you former "plus-size" ladies done before you reached( or near reached) your goal weights?

The reason why I ask is because I carry a lot of my weight between my bust and hips. I was curvy even I was 126 lbs (early 20s) and, yes, I had a slight belly back then. I am hoping to really attack this problematic area as I move down the scales. Would doing a lot of core exercises build the muscle up in that area so it will fill out the looser skin? I read somewhere "back when" that is one advantage of having muscles, it smooths out the "wrinkles". Has any one tried that recently and found this to be true?

If you find out let me know because I'll be facing your "problem" someday myself.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-11-2011 at 11:23 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

pamatga - one thing to keep in mind is that this is the Weight Loss Surgery forum in 3Fat Chicks - and those of us who've had the surgery have lost huge amounts of weight in a very short time. and that results in quite a bit of 'body distortion' because the skin can't shrink as quickly as we lose weight.

all this to say that we don't have the answer to your Q! core CAN help, but most of us work on building muscles when we're cleared for it - generally a few weeks after surgery, and some of us have lost upwards of 30-40 pounds by then.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I know everyone is different but generally when does the skin lose its ability to bounce back? I'm 42 and had 2 kids so my skin especially in my abdomen is not going to shrink by itself. I'm thinking probably late 20s early 30s? I've already started my plastic surgery bank account!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

I too have a very small amount of excess skin on my stomach. Initially I wasn't going to do anything about it and just live with it. Then I thought, what the ****, I'm selling myself short. Why go through all the pain of RNY and dieting and not get the body I want. I'm going back to India for plastic surgery in about eight months. My weight has been steady for just under two months but my surgeon wants me to wait at least another six before doing any cosmetic surgery.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I assume you go to India for the surgery due to cost?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #13  

I definitely feel good about myself overall. I look hot in clothes most of the time, as much as I did prior to my weight gain anyway. I just feel like my skin is a part of my body that isn't mine, no more than the bag you carry your groceries home in is a part of your groceries. It will go away, I know it will, it's just funny and alien feeling.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/235/135

Height: 5' 3"

I'm wondering about the skin hanging too especially since my 'baby' belly has been hanging for years! I doubt it will look good even after weight loss and I've always been busty, but now I'm really busty. I'm worried that the 'girls' will be super saggy after losing 100 lbs. Another reason when I look back that I would have never let myself go like this. I'm wondering if there are any toning exercises that will work to help in bust and ab area? Good to know others have the same issues that I do.
4castles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #15  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I am four years out this past Saturday 2/12. I have a little hanging belly and arm loose skin. It does get better, but only slightly, other than surgery, I doubt it will go away.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote