PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default February 2011 - PCOS Support Thread

The old thread is found here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...rt-thread.html

Let's kick this one off:

Who's here this month?
How are you?
What are you working on?
How was last month?
How's your PCOS management going?

Last edited by Rana; 02-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #2  

Who's here this month?

I am, of course. I'm finding 3FCs incredibly theraputic in dealing with the PCOS stuff, because you guys know what it's like. Otherwise, I feel like no one understands how difficult it is to lose weight.

I remember too many times when people assumed I was cheating or not dedicated enough because the scale wasn't moving.

How are you?

I'm doing okay. I'm waiting for my period to come any day now. I also scheduled my appointment with my gyno next month.

What are you working on?

LOWER carb. Yes, even more so than before. I was going to reduce my calories to 1400 but that seemed impossible (and to feel good about my eating plan).

I decided to increase my protein/fats instead and for example, eliminated my cereal in the mornings. That was a good portion of carbs that left my diet.

How was last month?

I lost 3.8 lbs in January, which is awesome. That's almost a pound a week!!!!

But it was still hard trying to figure out my plan. It's a constantly evolving thing. I think I'm going to tune out for a while and just focus on what I'm doing now instead of trying to add or change anything else.

I always get guilty when I'm not eating more "clean".

PCOS feels great. Still taking my chromium diligently. I did stop drinking green tea but I may start again. I just fell out of the habit. With my doctors appointments this month, I'll find out how I'm doing bloodwork wise.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

Who's here this month?
well done on the loss rana x

How are you?
Im good thanks im still having trouble sleeping and uni is going ok. Im findinf 3fc very encouraging and supportive I am waiting to have bloods done to check on my underactive thyroid as they had reduced my meds last month and i have been really tired and not sleeping

What are you working on?
Loosing more weight and getting my hips and stomach alot smaller. Im also going to try get a better sleeping pattern

How was last month?
WW wise was ok i gained 3lbs after a xmas break, the following week i lost 3.5lbs, then 1lb and then is sts last week which i werent happy about.

I am still waiting for an appointment to see a consultant to get an actual diagnosis. The gp put me on the pill for 3 months straight and i have been spot bleeding all over january so im a bit fed up with it all. xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Who's here this month?
Me!!!!!!
How are you?
Today is a good day. I am going to my Dr's on Thursday to discuss getting on anti-depressents. Also going to start counseling...this is a GOOD thing.
What are you working on?
Getting back to the gym, and starting low carb again. I am very encouraged by AF showing up all on her own. Its made me realize the weight loss HAS made a difference, and its time to refocus and get there.
How was last month?
Last month was not good. I didn't eat right, I didn't exercise...but today is a fresh start for me!
It seems to be going fairly well. Like I said, AF showed up which was huge. I am back on 500 mg of Met, just barely restarted taking it again, and also have started taking my Synthroid regularly. I have been SUPER tired this week though, where I have to take a nap everyday. Not sure what's causing it, could be the depression. I have my annual exam on Valentine's Day...nice huh?? LOL.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Rana: Thanks for setting us up this month!

Ems81wales and PinkHoodie : You sound like me! Sleep probs! What's up with that?

Who's here this month?

Me! Me!

How are you?

Emotionally in good spirits but just exhausted today. Errands and dental cleaning with kid in tow wore me out, but I've been feeling kinda sleepy blah. Not sure why.

What are you working on?

My 3rd PALA star! Go me!

How was last month?

The usual plus endoc check up.

Well, endoc check up showed me as deficient in Vitamin b12 and vitamin D. Also back on Fortamet (different brand this time, but basically metformin) to help with hunger management because she dropped me down to 1800 calories after previous level wasn't showing any progress.

So til the next check up 3 mos down the road I'm trying to stick to 1800 calories, then Levoxyl in the morning, vitamins (vit d, b12, fish oil, multi) with lunch, and the Met with dinner, and BCP before bed.

Oy.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #6  

i think mine is becasue they reduced my thyroxine 2 months ago and iv come off the anti depressents so i think that has effected me. How about you atrophe? x
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #7  

Thanks babble i hope i have a loss this week. I hope you have a good time at the gym when you start it will make you feel really good it does with me xxx
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #8  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Babble - I have never been on anti depressants, and I'm not sure I have depression bad enough to be on them. I just need to talk to a Dr about what has been going on with me and see what they say. I have felt kind of out of it since my miscarriage last year, and I'm just tired of feeling this way! So we shall see!
It is so hard for me right now to cut bad stuff out. I'm trying not to beat myself up because I am getting back to the gym, which is awesome. So I'm trying to focus on doing that, then slowly getting my eating back under control. But its just hard!!! Its SO cold here, I just want to be under the covers all day. It was 1 degree this morning when we went to the gym...just SO cold!
Hope you are all having a good week. On the downward slope to the weekend, and the SUPER BOWL!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

ems81wales -- hard to know. Had an unusually busy weekend, my eating is off, and then I recently learned I'm Vit b12 and d low. Then allergies are annoying me. So it could be any and all affecting my sleep.

babble -- I'd like to do more weight training too. You have anything in particular in mind? Routines? DVDs? I'm curious.

PinkHoodie: hope you get some answers from the doc! The blahs are just... blah!

My Check In:

Well, hoping to walk tonight, trying to get this kid to bed and wrap up the evening post dinner chores. Dh came home early and could deal with child needs so I got a tiny nap. I feel better, but still not full on. I'm hoping I'm not getting sick. ugh.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Who's here this month?
Michelle or Michi, a newbie to 3FC

How are you?
Not bad, I'm happy to see even minuscule results from dieting. It's been helping me stay positive! This semester I have a tough schedule for staying consistent with times of day to eat, but I'm trying.

What are you working on?
Cravings, portion control, getting enough water in to keep me full all day.

How was last month?
Most of my weekends were bad food-wise, but I ended up starting off really great with this lifestyle change.

I'm really only on the pill, because my symptoms aren't bad besides extremely irregular periods. I still have months on the pill where I have no or light periods and then very heavy flows a few times a year. I've been trying to do exercise to get through some of the discomfort, I actually find that doing Richard Simmons like work outs are my favorite because I find them fun and relaxing.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/202/150 age 33

Height: 5'5" has Hypothyroid/Insulin resistance-PCOS/Interstitial Cystitis

Default Question for all of you on diagnosis

Just got back from my doc. app. and She told me that "It is safe to assume that I have PCOS and I most probably have PCOS" Since I have many of the symptoms including insulin resistance, excess hair in strange places, Fatty liver syndrome and polycystic ovaries. Do I need to go get a bunch of tests done or do I just take this as a diagnosis. She is going to treat me from now on as a PCOS patient and has ordered blood work for my liver and my fasting insulin/blood sugar. Opinions anyone? The only symptom that I do not have is I always had regular periods (no longer will due to hysterectomy) but she said it is probably because I was always on birth control and it could have hidden this symptom.

So do I call myself a PCOS patient now Is this where I should post my progress from now on?

Thanks everyone
KatsMeow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Michi702 -- Welcome! School schedule can be a challenge but you can do it!

That's interesting about Richard Simmons. I tried that once and it scared my kid (she said he was too loud) so I took it back to the library. LOL!

KatsMeow78 -- Well, you are certainly welcome here on this section or any other.

As for the PCOS dx, do YOU feel satisfied? What other sort of bloodwork did she order? Do you think you need a second opinion?

Check out the inciid faq. and what it says...

Quote:
How should PCOS be diagnosed?

PCOS should be diagnosed based on physical exam, ultrasound of the ovaries, and the results of various blood tests. Diagnosis is made based on having several of the symptoms listed above. There is some disagreement in the medical community about the diagnostic criteria to be used. Some doctors suggest that at least three of the symptoms must be present to diagnose PCOS, others may make the diagnosis on the basis of fewer criteria (often emphasizing lack of ovulation), while others believe that PCOS is a diagnosis of exclusion — meaning if there are hormonal abnormalities for which no other explanation can be found, PCOS is presumed. Since there is no consensus as to how PCOS is defined or diagnosed, there should be little surprise when a variety of opinions emerge on how this problem should be treated!
HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-03-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

babble & astrophe - thanks for the warm welcome

astrophe - Richard Simmons actually scares my room mate a little! We did Richard Simmons tapes in aerobics at my high school, and when I was younger my mom got one of his tapes as a raffle prize from her local Weight Watchers meeting, so I started young
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #14  

to everyone!

If you feel it's a good explanation for your symptoms, I would go ahead with the PCOS diagnosis too.

I hope you don't get sick again, astrophe.

PinkHoodie, it does sound like depression and probably SAD. I get it, which is why I'm living in sunnier climates now. I'm also taking Vit D supplements (liquid form, 2,000 uis every day, sometimes more because they are drops!!!) and I take a super-B complex supplement. My Vit D levels were really low (a problem for most people, but even so for people with IR, because Vit D helps maintain our systems). Anyway.... good luck talking to your doctor.

My own update?

I'm still at 168.4 lbs despite some restaurant eating this past week. I've had family, friends, and work obligations that have put me face to face to my biggest problem area, which is eating out in restaurants. I've been selecting salads and proteins, avoiding desserts and drinking water like mad.

I just haven't been able to exercise as much because of the obligations and I am feeling it. I need to get back, my body is craving it.

I still don't have my period. I'm wondering when it's going to arrive.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/202/150 age 33

Height: 5'5" has Hypothyroid/Insulin resistance-PCOS/Interstitial Cystitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Michi702 -- Welcome! School schedule can be a challenge but you can do it!

That's interesting about Richard Simmons. I tried that once and it scared my kid (she said he was too loud) so I took it back to the library. LOL!

KatsMeow78 -- Well, you are certainly welcome here on this section or any other.

As for the PCOS dx, do YOU feel satisfied? What other sort of bloodwork did she order? Do you think you need a second opinion?

Check out the and what it says...

HTH!
A.
The diagnosis sure sounds like me from what I have read on it so far. Only I seem to have the Non traditional form of PCOS since I was always ovulatory. Also all of the recommendations for PCOS fit into the treatment plans I have for my Hypothyroid and insulin resistance. Also it would explain why when they took out my ovary they found many small cysts all over the inside of it. So I'll just call myself PCOS patient from now on and read all I can on it.

I'll have to read up on the metformin for insulin resistance. Any opinions on it? does it really help?

Thanks so much!
KatsMeow78 is offline   Reply With Quote