Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #1  

Talking An observation about weight loss

Silly thought, but still, I'm facinated with it:

I've reveled in my recent weight loss and embraced the new found energy and marveled at being able to fit a size I haven't been in for years. I feel confident and svelte even though I'm at least 35 pounds from anything close to actually looking svelte!

But the last time I was at this weight and size, I was on my way UP the scale. I was miserable, sluggish and ashamed of how I looked.

Same person, same weight and size, but completely different attitudes!

I equate this to the differences in the seasonal change. In the fall when the temp hits 35, we're swaddling up in jackets and gloves. When spring presents its first 35 degree day, we feel we could run naked in the warmth.

Losing weight is like perpetual spring!
firkindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firkindness View Post
Losing weight is like perpetual spring!
what a great quote!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've experienced the same thing as well.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

I think being heavy gives us a different perspective on size. I remember hating my size in high school, and I would love to get it back now!
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I've had absolutely the same experience. Both ways, a number of times, lol!

But then, sometimes the opposite is true... which is much weirder. There have been times that I absolutely did not feel heavy as I gained weight, but as I lost it, I began to notice the problem areas. So go figure!

Last edited by yoyoma; 01-30-2011 at 01:28 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #6  

Yoyoma - I hear what you say! You've heard that anorexics see themselves as fat. I have that kind of mental body distortion in reverse. I've always pictured myself as being much thinner than I am so when faced with my reflection in a window, or horrors! a picture of myself I have been so: OMG is THAT me? When I started losing weight I started looking at myself critically and did discover some disturbing things - like my back flaps were almost as big as my boobs! It was a real YIKES moment and didn't jive at all with my imaginary self image.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I know exactly what you mean with the imaginary self image. I was twice the size I thought I was! I've always thought I had a pretty face, but honestly my face didn't look too pretty with the triple chin tacked on the bottom.

I can also relate to the back flaps...I hate mine!
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #8  
Start IP 6/25/12

S/C/G: 242.8/230.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
I know exactly what you mean with the imaginary self image. I was twice the size I thought I was! I've always thought I had a pretty face, but honestly my face didn't look too pretty with the triple chin tacked on the bottom.

I can also relate to the back flaps...I hate mine!
Count me in this group as well. I have told myself for YEARS: "it's not that bad" or "well I am not as big as that lady" <--- that one I am ashamed to admit!

On the rare occasion I would see pictures of myself, I would look and think "that's not really how bad I look; bad camera angle".

One of the biggest steps I had to take was admitting to myself that, yes, I really did look that bad, and I really was as big as "that lady over there". It was very liberating.

BTW: hi my name is Phoenix, I registered yesterday, and I am doing "induction-like" low carbs: I eat more veggies than the plan says. I figure I didn't get this way by eating too many veggies, so if eating more than the strict induction levels call for is what makes me stay the course, then sign me up.

"Fee"
PhoenixRisingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #9  

Welcome aboard, Fee. I do a "looser" version myself - low carb but plenty of veggies. Thanks to input on this forum, I've greatly reduced the amount of cheese that I eat. That low cheese/high veggie ratio seems to work for me. Soon we'll all be people that match our individual mental images!