Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Default This is how much I love my mom

I posted a thread before about my mom and my concerns for her health. I plan to leave at the end of this year or beginning of next year and that would mean my mom would be the only one in the house. I hope I can help boost her on living healthy. Honestly, I had no clue that she had no clue about health. After years of watching her try different diets and attempt to exercise I thought she had done her research. The other day she tried to tell me that kfc grilled chicken has no calories in it! I'm big too, but I'm doing something about it. She has a lot more obesity-related health concerns. We were suppose to do this together. Yes, I've tried the intervention technique in many ways. I was happy that she attempted to do a mile with me. Really happy, but that ended in even more concern. If I leave home, I know for sure she will not do anything about her health until she is forced to. I love you, Mama, but I don't want to be your enabler. The other day my aunt mentioned the exercise equipment that's been in our basement for years after my mom bought them. I've been in the basement a million times and never even paid attention. I hate the basement because I'm scared of crickets (hahaha yeah I got all the jimeny cricket jokes). Last two hours by myself I've been working on cleaning this basement so she will take me serious on how much I want her to be healthy, how much I love her. I hope soo much that she will reach her goal and I don't have to leave for the air force and worry about her every single day. I do worry about now and I'll worry 100x more without seeing her every day. If trying to conquer my fear of crickets will finally open her eyes, then I will do it. After this I hope to never see a single cricket in my life
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

You ARE doing something to help your Mom...you are leading by example! People tend to take notice of what you have to say about health/nutrition/weight loss when they see the results/changes it has made in "your" life.

Another way you can help, is by doing exactly what your doing...cleaning out the work out room. Maybe going for a walk with your mom. Buy her some pre-packaged lean cuisine meals and add some extra veggies and lean meats to it. Bring it up to about 400-450 cals. Then say, "Mom, this is what your meals are supposed to look like portion wise". The truth is...she can have her KFC and still lose weight. Just go to the calorie counters thread, and look at the "Daily Intake Thread"...there you will SEE what some people are eating...and it's not all grilled chicken and lettuce..lol!

You see, she can have the foods she wants, but you'll better help her (and have more success seeing results), if you show her what a proper portion size looks like. Small changes...small changes...people can do..but don't ask too much!!! Once she sees the results of her making those "small" changes, she'll be SELF-MOTIVATED to make bigger changes. One step at a time...remember!

All the best.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #3  

Please keep in mind that you can only do so much. It's great that you're trying to help your mother (and I know that the peace of mind while you're away will be helpful), but know that she has to truly want this in order for it to work.

In short, do not blame yourself if your mother is unsuccessful or does not change her ways. Help her as best you can, just don't always the relationship to take on any toxic qualities.

It's obvious that you love her, and I'm not saying that any of these things will happen. Just trying to push the idea that no matter how much you do to help her, if it doesn't take, don't let it change you or your goals.

You're a star, by the way *grins* Good luck to you.

Any chances of getting Mom online? Might not hurt to show her just how many people are here: struggling, striving, and learning together and from each other, from all different walks and stages of life.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Heavenly Father, we ask that you continue to show Your love and encouragement to stasiagurl91 and her mom as they go through this journey together....In the Name of Your Son, Jesus, Amen
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5  

I fixed her dinner the last couple of nights. I always ask her to go for a walk with me. Once in a while she will say yes, but mostly she rather be at home and her feet hurt when she gets home from work. I bought this leslie sansone walking video and suggested she do it in the morning before work for a half mile. Yesterday i was a little disappointed when she didn't seem to care about all that work I did in the basement. She said it was nice, but she was more focused on the TV again.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #6  

Thank you for your prayer. One day she'll see, but I hope it's not going to be too late. We have a lot of health issues that runin our family and most are obesity related.