Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #1  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Default So who watched the Golden Globes/saw the red carpet?

Some looked AMAZING ... some, not so much.

Anne Hathaway was my favorite.

Honorable mention to Dianna Agron (GLEE!)

Did not dig Lea Michele's look -- I think it's the hair and the abundance of Pepto fabric.

NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I never miss a red carpet pre-show; love looking at gowns that are worth more than I earn in a year on people whose shows I barely watch, for some reason.

My one problem with Hathaway's gown was the poufiness at the shoulder. I hope arm-poufiness isn't coming back; I've always loathed it in any of its incarnations. Didn't like Angelina Jolie's green dress for the same reason--plus it made her butt look flat, and if a dress can make her look less than perfect, it is a shameful dress indeed.

I kinda liked Lea Michele's pepto-dress, but I confess to a weakness for pinks. It was good to see so many on the RC--hope that means it'll be "in" for spring. Catherine Zeta Jones looked really good too in the full-skirted emerald green dress; her waist looked tiny, her skin looked glowy, she just looked fabulous. Either she or her stylist really knows what colors and shapes work on her.

The only look I really loathed was Michelle Williams' beige burlap with daisies on it. It was desperately ugly and was made more so by her bottle-blonde buzz-cut.

What'd you think of Emma Stone in the long, peachy T-shirt-looking dress? I freakin' loved it, but it seems to be a bone of contention for my friends. "I could buy that at the Gap!" does NOT mean it's a bad dress, to me.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

What was with all of the nude/beige/pale colors of the gowns? It all just seemed so monotonous and dull. The only gowns I remember are the black or brightly colored ones (or Natalie Portman's pale pink one but with the bright red rose, which I actually kind of liked).
Anne's dress would've been perfect if the sleeves weren't poufy. Blech.
morphomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #4  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Aw, I liked the slight poufiness in Anne's sleeves. Didn't work as well in AJ's dress, though. Anne also had healthier, fuller-looking hair.

I *loved* Emma Stone's look, in the God-I-could-never-pull-that-off-and-wouldn't-ever-want-to-but-she-is-amazing kind of way.

I do prefer her as a redhead, though.

Also hated Michelle Williams's dress. Indie chic can be amazing, but that looked like what I wore to my eighth grade dance.

CZJ looked amazing, and good for Michael Douglas! He's still pretty painfully thin, but he's so much more engaged and animated looking -- it seemed like he was feeling pretty well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
I never miss a red carpet pre-show; love looking at gowns that are worth more than I earn in a year on people whose shows I barely watch, for some reason.

My one problem with Hathaway's gown was the poufiness at the shoulder. I hope arm-poufiness isn't coming back; I've always loathed it in any of its incarnations. Didn't like Angelina Jolie's green dress for the same reason--plus it made her butt look flat, and if a dress can make her look less than perfect, it is a shameful dress indeed.

I kinda liked Lea Michele's pepto-dress, but I confess to a weakness for pinks. It was good to see so many on the RC--hope that means it'll be "in" for spring. Catherine Zeta Jones looked really good too in the full-skirted emerald green dress; her waist looked tiny, her skin looked glowy, she just looked fabulous. Either she or her stylist really knows what colors and shapes work on her.

The only look I really loathed was Michelle Williams' beige burlap with daisies on it. It was desperately ugly and was made more so by her bottle-blonde buzz-cut.

What'd you think of Emma Stone in the long, peachy T-shirt-looking dress? I freakin' loved it, but it seems to be a bone of contention for my friends. "I could buy that at the Gap!" does NOT mean it's a bad dress, to me.
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

I may be in the minority here but I don't like that dress on Anne Hathaway. It looks like a frickin disco ball. lol Sorry. I LOVE Dianna's dress though. Very pretty. I missed the Golden Globes because I forgot what night it was on. Oh well. E! will have all the pictures of the memorable dresses.
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #6  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I loved Anne Hathaway's dress!! Natalie Portman looked super cute!! I loved her dress too. Mila Kunis was another one of faves. Same with Dianna Agron, she had a very old Hollywood look. Same with Brad Pitt..that man came can do no wrong (except for that nasty beard he had awhile ago, lol!!). I was disappointed in Nicole Kidman & Emma Stone though. Nicole looked super boring..and Emma looked too orange!!!
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #7  
Le geek, c'est chic

Nicole Kidman almost always puts me to sleep on the RC. She's not an ugly woman by any stretch of the imagination, but...there's something so forbidding and cold about her, and not in a cool Tilda-Swinton-as-the-White-Witch way. Her clothing seems to emphasize that; she just exudes this weird sexlessness and chill. Maybe it's all that Botox?

Totally agree with you on Mila Kunis, Shopaholic, but she's someone who can do no wrong in my eyes because I just plain like her so much. I mean, how can you not love someone that pretty who also enjoys playing the voice of the much-maligned Meg on "Family Guy?" Mila Kunis is awesome and only becomes more awesome in jewel tones.

I don't know what I think of Natalie Portman's dress. I loved the ballet-slipper pink, but hated how it wrinkled. I loved the rose, but hated the stylized stem and leaves that went with it. I loved her makeup, hated her too-tight hair.

Speaking of too tight, is it just me or was Megan Fox's face almost unrecognizable? Her dress was pretty enough, but I couldn't stop looking at her face and trying to figure out why she looks so shockingly different.

Oh, and I forgot to mention another on my best-dressed list: Kyra Sedgwick in that saffron-colored Pucci gown. I love the vivid color and totally agree with you, Morphomel, that all the nudey/beigey/champagney stuff is getting tired. Sedgwick's dress made me want to rush out and buy something vivid.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

Megan Fox's hair was the only problem for me. Maybe that is what was wrong?? I just had this urge to brush her hair and restyle it for her, LOL!!

Mila Kunis can do no wrong for me either. Sweet Lips is my #1 girl crush, lmao! Her dress was so pretty..but she needed to add more jewelry though. Was she there with James Franco?? I would LOVE to see them together!! He is just too hot for words, and she is newly single.

Omg, Nicole Kidman and her botox. I call her Frozen Face, lol!! I dunno about you, but I like my actresses with an expressive face. Only being able to move your mouth, just doesn't work for me. It's probably why I haven't seen a movie of hers since Moulin Rouge.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #9  
Blessed!

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Loooove award shows and red carpet glamor!

I have to agree with iHeartU, I didn't like Anne's gown either. I hated the shoulders, the color and the dress looked like it had mini CDs all over it.

As for Angie, her dress made her look like a coat hanger.

Eva got a lot of flack for her all black dress, but I thought it was lovely! I loved how it hugged her in all the right places and then pooled around her feet.

I love Sandra Bullock, but I didn't love the dress...or the hair. She looked really sad, too.

As odd as it sounds, I actually like Helena's dress and mismatched shoes. I wish she was a bit more peppy, because she carries off quirky really well, but instead she seemed annoyed by all the attention.

I mentioned to my dh that Halle Berry looked like she was going to the Grammys instead of the Golden Globes.

I have to say, thought, I loved most of the greens on the red carpet. I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones looked amazing as did Elisabeth Moss and Mila Kunis.

Loved Olivia Wilde's gown!

What did y'all think of Ricky Gervais? I thought the Globes had learned their lesson from last year.
shellsbrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #10  
Le geek, c'est chic

I thought Ricky Gervais was hilarious.

He was just barely on this side of decency a few times, but...well, that's part of his charm, isn't it? I'm totally shocked that they had him back, but it was smart--I probably wouldn't have watched the show itself without him, as I consider the GGs the K-Mart of awards shows.

Oh, and Helena Bonham Carter can do no wrong--even down to her singleton shoes of red and green. She's completely batty, but she always looks like herself--and that's the essence of style, as far as I'm concerned. Tilda Swinton has that same ability to look so perfectly like herself. Not many people can manage it, but the ones who do are a delight to see.

Sandra Bullock did look sad. What's worse is that her hairstyle is...well, it's kind of the same as Michelle "Bombshell's." NOT a good look and NOT a good idea, given the circumstances. It's a shame she's not happier; she should be happy to have rid herself of her parasitic spouse.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #11  
I was born this way hey!

Ricky gave me a headache. I muted him most of the time. I didn't think he was funny at all. Now Robert Downy Jr could be a host. He was hilarious! I'm interested in how Anne Hathaway & James Franco do as Oscar hosts. Maybe Anne will dance & sing while James stands there looking sexy. LoL!!

Helena Bonham Carter is a hot mess, lol! She looked very Bellatrix with that hair. Tilda scares me, lol!! She looks like she could poison you with just a glance. I think she's brilliant!!

Oh Sandra...I love her!! I loved her dress..but her bangs were too much. She did look a little sad, and really tired!! She probably just wanted to go home to her cutie little baby.

Angelina Jolie disappointed me too. She usually wears something sexy..but that dress did not flatter her at all. And her hair was very blah too. Oh well..at least Brad looked hot. Mmm

Did anyone notice my Babycakes, Joseph Gordon-Levitt? He was just too cute for words!! I could spread him on a cracker. My #2 guy, Jakey Gyllenhaal looked good too. MmmMmm. I could get used to that beard too, lol!! I want to do very unmentionable things to him. I can't leave out James Franco. He's another one I could spread on a cracker. All 3 of them looked so sexy! I need to fan myself off now, LoL!!

Johnny Depp looked really really really tanned!! Possibly from filming Pirates??

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-18-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #12  
Blessed!

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Eh, I was so-so with Ricky. My husband is from England (complete with the sexy accent ), so I'm used to their humor, but I thought Ricky crossed the line a few times into really offensive. Just because they're celebrities, doesn't mean they can be verbally abused. I guess that's kinda the way I saw it. I wouldn't want to be talked about like that. I dunno, I could be wrong.

Is it just me or is Johnny Depp looking kinda Mickey Rourke-ish lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
I could spread him on a cracker.
I love this!!
shellsbrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
Sedgwick's dress made me want to rush out and buy something vivid.
I had the exact same thought when I saw her dress too. And I'm not someone who would wear that kind of color.

I quite liked Ricky's humor. Sometimes ego-inflated celebs need to be taken down a peg. Besides, they all should have expected to get reamed when he was chosen as host.

ETA:
Best picture ever

Gotta love the look on Michael's face!

Last edited by morphomel; 01-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
morphomel is offline   Reply With Quote