Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Exclamation *BEWARE* HIDDEN Ingredients in our Food!!!

Was just looking at a package of pork tenderloin I set out for marinading and to my surprise, although it was an unseasoned package, it contained 140 mgs of sodium PER SERVING!!!! I also discovered this about the raw chicken breast I buy from Walmart...again with the sodium!!!

This angered me, because I never knew that when you buy fresh/frozen meats/seafood, the manufacturers have already included sodium.

As many of you probably already know, sodium makes you retain fluid and too much can assist in causing heart attacks and strokes. Therefore, without further comment, sodium content should be monitored (same as calories IMHO). Additionally, sodium causes us to retain water and is responsible for most weight loss "stalls" of an "unknown" nature.

That said, when most people buy frozen foods, I believe MOST would never assume that UNSEASONED, RAW MEAT would, in fact already be seasoned!!! The reason I DO NOT buy pre-seasoned meat is because it's usually LOADED with sodium!

So, all you calorie/sodium counters...be sure to READ the labels on your raw meat/fish and include the sodium count into your macros.

Hoping good health to all!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

They add liquid. Salt water generally.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I think many foods naturally contain sodium, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's been added behind your back. There are lots of sites online that will give you these numbers. Me personally - I worry a lot more about the other ingredients the manufacturers are "adding" when they feed the livestock.... eek! I haven't eaten commercial chicken or beef since watching the documentary Food, Inc.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I don't think manufacturers add sodium to meat; I think it just naturally contains some. I know most cuts of beef naturally contain around 100-150 milligrams of sodium, so I'd guess pigs are kind of similar to cows in that regard. It kind of makes sense; if you've ever bitten your lip, you know blood's salty, so flesh--even of butchered critters that have been properly bled--likely is as well.

Last edited by Nola Celeste; 01-07-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammatical parallelism :)
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #5  

Were the meats brined? Kosher?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #6  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Also, the research literature is clear that sodium is perfectly healthy for the vast majority of people. It doesn't cause heart attacks, etc, along the same lines as the "cholesterol will kill you" meme.

If you're really worried about it, though, use "lite" salt, which is half sodium chloride and half potassium chloride, but tastes just the same.

//b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Some industrial meats are injected with salt water to plump them up. Try getting "air chilled" meats, or pastured meats straight from the farm so you can talk to the farmer about how he or she treats the meat. www.eatwild.com
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #8  

Go to the USDA database and look up meats. They naturally contain sodium so it will be on the label. I learn as much as I can about nutrition and what is naturally contained in foods.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

If you are buying those manufacturally sealed meats, they do contain a sodium solution, it's a preservative that is needed or the food would be rotten by the time you got it. Frozen chicken especially contains this.

I have always assumed any meat that I buy from Walmart or any other grocer that doesn't cut their own will contain the added sodium solution. I guess I never thought of it as hidden since I know it's necessary to process meat for long haul delivery.

I know Walmart meat almost also has something about a 14% or so solution being added on the label. Don't have any meat in the house so I don't know the exact wording. I just know it's necessary from a production standpoint.

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #10  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thanks for your input everyone! I thought Walmart was pulling a fast one on meh!

You are right that the meat is injected for preservation (for those of you who mentioned that) I just didn't realize to the tune of 140 mgs/svg? It just seemed like alot, especially since I measure out all of my salt (trying to stay at 1500 mgs/day or less).

Kaw Are you saying that excess sodium doesn't cause health problems? If so, I will have to strongly disagree. Many people not only suffer from high blood pressure due to excess sodium, but also when you hear someone complaining about "why did I gain 10 lbs over the weekend", the culprit is generally the amount of sodium consumed that weekend, not the amount of food consumed. Excessive sodium has long been known for all kinds of health problems....you may want to re-investigate.

BTW, the meats I was referring to had listed on the ingredients "added salt". I was not referring to "naturally occurring" sodium found in food stuffs. Just wanted to be clear on that. Thanks for your helpful suggestions though

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

The latest research does suggest that sodium has gotten a bum rap for most people. Google "salt sensitivity" or "salt-sensitive hypertension" and you'll find some compelling articles about the subject. A lot of earlier data that suggested a universal link between sodium intake and high blood pressure does not exist; earlier studies may not have taken into account differential sensitivity to salt.

There's a good article here about the dispute. What it boils down to, though, is that for a lot of people, salt is not an automatic "no" in a person's diet. It's a much more contentious issue than previously thought, and more current research suggests that the balance of other elements--potassium, calcium, and so forth--has at least as much influence as sodium does on high BP and heart disease.

Those who prefer to limit their sodium intake probably aren't doing themselves any harm (unless they manage to develop hyponatremia or are one of those people whose blood pressure actually goes up on restricted sodium, but that's not common). On the other hand, people who don't restrict their sodium aren't in imminent danger of something dire, either--unless they're salt-sensitive, in which case they'll find out quickly when their doctor puts them on a sodium-restrictive diet and checks to see if it's helping.

As for the weight gain from sodium intake, meh...if I eat a roughly constant amount of salt over time, then I'm keeping the same pound or so of water weight and don't really sweat it. It's the equivalent of always weighing with my glasses on--sure, they probably add a little to my weight, but it's a constant.

I like sodium-rich things too much to limit my salt, and my BP is fine, so I will continue to enjoy it.

Last edited by Nola Celeste; 01-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

I kind of agree with Nola. Sodium isn't a death sentence for most people and I think it's gotten a bad rap. It's funny...when I was loading up on salt and not worrying about sodium content I had better blood pressure than I do now when I'm looking at the sodium of everything. Yes, sodium will TEMPORARILY cause water retention, but most of us know that's not a true gain. Not drinking enough water will also cause a gain because your body holds on to every drop it gets.

Your warning is good ~ people should know that processed meats have added sodium. I guess some of us just take the fact that we knew that before for granted.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thanks for the link Nola! This discussion has been more interesting than I imagined.

I guess I simply speak of my own experience and of those people that I've known or met in my lifetime. For me...sure...I love salt...who doesn't (*finishes the last piece of take out jamaican food*)... However, I find that I have less weight fluctuations, better blood pressure (it's actual normal now vs. my happy-go-lucky salt riddled fast food days), my body is much leaner in appearance and I don't feel all bloated as if my body may actually take flight in the next strong gust of wind! But that's just me.

Additionally, since hypertension, heart attacks, strokes seem to run in my family, I'm taking caution. I come from a "salt lovin" family...ya know...one where you start putting the salt on before you even taste the food...yup...that used to be my peeps. "Used to be" you may say...hmmmm...yup...USED to be because the health disasters that have befell them forced a dietary halt.

As far as the DOCTORS redirecting your diet...perhaps...if your fortunate to make it there before disaster...many aren't.

BTW, I don't give "science reports" too much of my attention as they debate the issues more than we do here at 3FC! LOL!

That said, ANYTHING done in EXCESS is bad....period Even something good for you. We have "recommended" amounts of daily sodium intake (which I believe is about 2200 mgs) for a reason...our bodies DO NEED sodium, just as well as it needs potasium, etc. Moderation...just sayin
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #14  
Le geek, c'est chic

Absolutely--if you're noticing a difference in your BP and have a family history of hypertension, you are definitely doing the smart thing to keep your sodium intake low. Lowering dietary sodium is the first step most doctors take for reducing high blood pressure, so if you're already observant enough to keep on top of it without a doctor having to nudge you into it, more power to you.

I'm lucky in that salt doesn't seem to affect me much one way or the other, though I did notice a couple of pounds post-holiday-dinner that turned out to be from salty gravy and stuffing. It definitely makes a difference on the scale.

And yep, moderation is just about the only thing which people should indulge in immoderately.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

I recently sent my youngest son to the store for some seasalt and he came back with Windsor Table Salt (not what I asked for) and it has sugar listed in the ingredients list.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote