Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Unhappy Please help me

I've been at this weight loss gig for quite awhile. In August 2009, I left a bad 6 year relationship and decided I was going to live up to my full awesomeness potential.

I lost about 20 pounds. I was running races and completed my first triathlon. I've maintained the weight loss for about 8 or 9 months, with out too much of a struggle. I've never weighed this little and I've certainly never maintained it for any length of time. I had done it! This was it! And it was going to be forever!!

About two months ago, I decided that I wanted to lose a few more pounds. I'd been maintaining 166-ish relatively easily, and the weight is still there to lose, so I thought I'd try to take it to 160-155 range and see how I felt there.

Ever since I've decided to lose a little more weight, I've been completely off plan. I haven't been working out, my eating has been terrible and I'm just completely back sliding!! I've actually gained weight and am close to being back in the 170s!!!!!! I'M FREAKING OUT!

What's wrong with me? I was doing fine maintaining for almost a year, but as soon as I try to lose more weight, I'm doing absolutely every thing wrong. And I know it, and I can't stop it.

Please 3FC, words of wisdom I'm starting to panic.

Last edited by AmberD; 12-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Not sure I have any really good advice, but i know how you feel.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #3  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

It sounds as if the panic is why you are gaining. Do you keep thinking about "I cannot eat that, and that, and that...?" Perhaps you could concentrate on getting more active, not just with exercise, but with something to keep your mind on something other than what you can or cannot be eating. Try getting out of the house somewhere foodsafe, like hiking, volunteering, etc. It could improve your mood and your confidence, putting you back in charge.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #4  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

I've kind of been there. Getting to goal, being happy there for a while, deciding to lose some more and losing my sanity in the process! Sigh...

Well, I don't know you, but I can say that for me what backfired was trying to fit into a mold of what society/the media said I should weigh. I feel foolish saying this because I was in my late 20s when all this happened, not a teenager, but I totally succumbed.

Anyway, before I get too rambly, why don't you try and eat at maintenance level for a few days? Do what you were doing when you were maintaining 166 (apparently you haven't gained much yet, so don't panic!) and see how you feel mentally. If after a few weeks you still want to lose a little, then give it another try. I'd say for now you just need a mental break from weight loss mode.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Thanks everyone, I just feel so out of control lately.

Normally, I try to keep my outings activity focused. But with the holidays and the winter, they've suddenly become very food focused.

And I have the terrible mind set of, "Well, the food's going to keep coming until the New Year, might as well indulge until then."

Maybe I'll switch back to 166 maintenance for awhile, like clarabr suggested. 166 and holding steady is better than what I'm doing now.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

AmberD, this is always a hard time of year for everyone. One good strategy is to make your best picks. You know that there are going to be sugary, fattening foods around. It's too hard to reject them all--so instead, become really "picky" about it. Just any old sugar cookie? No way! It has to be a food worth eating--best of the best. And then hold yourself accountable. You said just one, right, so MEAN it. Have one and then walk away, mentally or even in reality.

Also, there are plenty of good, weight-friendly foods around as well. It's a matter of sticking with serving sizes and not going overboard.

Maintaining is a great goal for the season. Just hang in there, AmberD! Don't quit! Do the best you can!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Perhaps your weight loss plan was too extreme? You don't seem to be in any hurry (which is good), so when you go back to it, why not make it the mildest diet plan ever? Just cut 5% off of what you are eating now, or exercise 5% more. If you lose 1-2 lbs a month, you'll still be at goal by the time you pull out your bathing suit, and think how smooth and easy it will be!
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

If you are doing triathlons and races, it's sometimes easy to get into the mindset of "Well, I do lots, so I'll burn it off"...and then you overeat bit by bit. It also makes me hungrier when I'm active, so that's another thing I have to deal with. So I keep closer track of how many cals I'm eating.

Last edited by tea2; 12-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #9  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

It might just be the time of year you've chosen to lose those few more pounds. It's a hard time for everyone who's trying to lose weight! I'd suggest just trying to maintain for now, and then after the holiday season is behind you, come up with a plan that you can stick to. You've lost before and you can lose again, you just have to step back for a bit and then get yourself back into the game at a less stressful time, perhaps.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote