Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/201/126

Height: 5'0

Default new 20-something with a question :)

Hello,

I just wanted to join here (i'm 20 so hopefully i count!) so wanted to introduce myself on this forum. I hope i can get the courage to post pics here and things and get involved, especially in 2011. you all seem like great people and so encouraging and inspirational, hopefully i'l be posting up some progress pictures soon!

I am taking the time over christmas to get everything together that i will need to make this weightloss attempt, the final one! I need to plan everything out before i can do it so i was wondering what are peoples essentials when it comes to weightloss?!

Thank you
Jessica
fattofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/190/145

Height: 5'6"

One good pair of sneakers! Also, self worth! people are going to try and sabotage you, so you need to be able to support yourself enough to get through it. That's been my downfall every time I've tried!
Sashasheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/132/110

Height: 5'3

Welcome, fattofab! I'd recommend some good music, an iPod to play that music, and a small notebook for counting your calories. Good luck!
SeventeenTheStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! A few items I couldn't do it without:

A food and exercise diary, either a paper one (notebook) or an app/website. I use an app on my phone, which is super-useful because it has a database of common grocery foods, restaurant fare and the ability to input your own foods.

Like sasha said - a good pair of sneakers

finally - a goal! Get an idea of how much you want to lose and then you can make plans to meet your goals.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #5  

Good music definitely helps with the workouts! What has helped me was this site a lot. Its encouraging to see so many people working towards their goals and to see their progress, it inspires me to do the same
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #6  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

5 essentials is all you need for weight loss:

1. 5lb weights for starters (you can move up between 5-10 to tone as you get stronger)

2. Yoga Mat - used for any floor exercises

3. Good shoes! I recommend Asics!

4. A good attitude

5. The internet! Which you already have! I use it for everything. I look up tips, healthy eating options etc.

As we come to know you, we'll be able to help you more! for instance, do you cook? Are you a student? Have no time to cook? How much time do you have to work out? Do you live in ac old climate so running outside is impossible? All of these are things hopefully we will learn about you in the upcoming weeks and can help you achieve your goal!

YOU can TOTALLY do this! Good Luck!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

If you're looking for somewhere to track your calories online, fitday.com has been really useful for me. I love it, and I find that is the only way i can keep up consistent weight loss.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #8  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Welcome, and good luck!

A proper eating regimen is important, but so is exercise! It will help the pounds fall off, as well as tone up your skin as you lose.

Also, if you have an iPhone/iPod, there's an app called ************ that I recommend to everyone I know. It's a calorie tracker, as well as nutrient tracker, with a built-in food database. It really helps me see just how much I'm eating every day!
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

A PLAN. That's my weightloss essential. It all just seems to fall apart when I don't plan my meals, my exercise, etc... So that's my answer.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #10  

Thank you all. I have asked for some trainers for chrimbo and i have some weights and a yoga mat and a bunch of other stuff from a previous attempt that is gathering dust under my bed. I will have to dig that out when i get back to university.
What do you think of digital scales?Would it be a good idea to get some of those?!
I'm not sure about goals yet. I know ultimately i want to lose about 85 - 90 lbs. Are mini goals a good idea? How do you decide what those goals should be? I know it's a lot of questions, i just see all the progress you are making and want to do the same!
Jessica
Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #11  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

On top of what everyone else has said, I'd also recommend getting a fabric tape measurer to take your bust-waist-hip measurements, and definitely do some before pictures and progress pictures along the way. I didn't start out doing official pictures, and I really wish I would have! The measurements and the pictures really help when the scale is stalling or you're feeling downhearted, because you can look at the pictures and see some progress over time better than just looking at yourself in the mirror, and inches shrink sometimes when the scale is staying the same.

Mini goals are a great idea. Some people on here do 5-10lb increments, or pick a weight they'd like to be by a specific date/holiday. It all depends on what you want to do.

Last edited by KenzideRhae; 12-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #12  

Thank you KenzideRhae. I am sat trying to work out some realistic goals for myself! I know what i want to acheive but i dont want to set myself a time scale that i wont be able to do so i think i will leave it open. I am so excited to begin this journey properly and see some progress!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #13  

There really are some great people here. Being more the lurking type than a poster, it can be difficult to forge relationships...but, fortunately, not only are we all here sharing a relevant interest, but we all share the camaraderie of being on a journey of trial and error, of frustrating setbacks and hard-earned success.

My advice is to take the time and skim through each category, even if it's somewhere that you "don't belong"...feel free to question, just don't antagonize. For example, while I'm very much a meat eater, I've learned some wonderful things from the vegetarian forums. I may ask questions, but I do so respectfully, instead of just going "omg how can you not eat baconz nomnomnom!"

I'm sure you get the idea.

Anyway, there is a lot of information to be had, and it may not always pop up in the places you frequent. Look around, learn, and best of luck to you on your journey!
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

I second the Aasics! They are wonderful. And the tape measure.

You need a positive attitude. And you HAVE to remember-the biggest thing this forum has helped me with- is that you WILL have bad days. But you have to just keep pushing forward. In my past attempts to lose weight, every time I failed, I quit. This board reminds me daily that I am human, and just because I had a bad meal, does not mean it's over. You have to pull up your boot straps and remember that you can and will succeed. It is a daily battle that you will win if you are persistent. Good luck with your weight loss efforts. Glad to have you here!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/285/150

welcome and good luck. I think its a good idea to track your workouts and keep a food diary. Like someone mentioned above, there will be bad days, but its how you handle it that determines how much its going to affect you. A great attitude will give yourself a quick recovery. Baby steps are also a great idea. Don't try to do everything at once. Right now i'm just doing 15 minute walks 5 days a week and about to start a stretching regimen on the weekends. Over the course of 4-5 months this will increase to 1 hour walks along with strength training.
firefoxsilver9 is offline   Reply With Quote