Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #1  

Default I think I found a happy medium

I've always been one to compare weight loss plans...like this from that one but can't have this.....like something else from another one but can't have something else...ah....knowing I can't eat everything I want and still lose weight and everyone always says "just pick a plan and DO IT!" I agree, but I also have to do what I know I can stick with and that is why I chose WWs again. BUT it makes me have to think about food ALL the time, planning, counting, measuring, etc. I've always like the plans that said this is what you eat and you just do it, but then those all had several restrictions...SO....what I'm going to try is this. I love the Michael Thurmond's body makeover plan that gives you a plan for your body type. You lose weight fast...BUT it is VERY restrictive...I don't mean just a little restrictive...but VERY..SUCH AS No fat, no dairy, no sugar, no salt, and no processed food. But since I love the way it breaks down what I can eat at each meal and snack for my body type....such as breakfast: a protein and a carb, snack: protein and a fruit...I can use WWs to choose which of those I want to eat...using my points + guidelines but not just trying to decide each day from a vast array of foods which always leads me down the wrong path. And now, after reading so many posts that says that the leaders are saying we don't have to eat our target points everyday it makes me feel so much better because I don't WANT to eat 52 points per day. I know, I know some of you will say that I got to this point by eatling a lot of food, but that is my point. I want to try and eat better but less and that is what I am going to do. No one may be interested in my plan but I just had to write it down in order to make it my plan. Thanks.
TexNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #2  

Mine is the only thread with no comments even after 104 viewed it.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #3  
Daily Struggle

Height: 5'3

hmmm if just being on WW makes you think about food all the time and what to eat for your next meal, dont you think combining two plans will kind of over complicate things? why dont you just make a list of the foods you prefer and can still enjoy on WW? I just know that the less i think about food, the more likely i am to follow the plan.
Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

For me, it does help to think and plan my food. I do both WW and I calorie count and record every bite at livestrong. For me, I find that if I focus on making good food choices a real priority then it helps me to lose.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

I think you should do what's best for YOU and what you feel comfortable with, however, the issue I have with the plan you are going to try eliminates certain food groups. Consuming fat found in healthy oils, nuts, etc promote great cardiovascular health, optimize brain and cellular function, and help protect your bones, organs, and joints. Dairy is another food group we need because of it's Calcium content and Vitamin D.

A few years ago I tried the Atkins Diet which is another plan that cut certain food groups in the beginning. I lost a LOT of weight but sadly gained it back. 'Diets' that cut any food group or restrict rarely ever work because you feel deprived. People go on these crazy plans because they want instant gratification and want to see results fast. I have lost 85lbs in 11 months because I have put all my trust and faith in Weight Watchers. Have some weeks been frustrating? Absolutely but I've never given up or not had faith.

Please don't take my tone as being negative, I'm more worried than anything because cutting certain food groups can actually be dangerous for your organs.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #6  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I read your post, but didn't comment because I'm not sure I could really be helpful to you. Everyone takes a different approach, and mine is pretty much the opposite of yours.

If I'm confronted with a restrictive plan that tells me "NO!" to any food group, I already know I'm sunk; also, I find myself questioning whether I'm really eating healthily for my body if I'm cutting out entire essential food groups. People need fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, and although nutritionists may disagree about the proportions of each that are optimal, there's no doubt whatsoever that cutting any of them out entirely is not sustainable even though it might be effective in the short term. Low-carb or low-fat can work--but NO-carb or NO-fat? Nope, I just don't do "NO" well at all. Not for me.

Which brings me back around to your post--it's not for ME, but it might work for YOU. There are people who want the weight gone right now, go on a very restrictive plan to lose it successfully, then develop a maintenance plan once they've lost the weight. More power to those who can do that, but I fall into the "slow and steady" camp of developing habits that I can sustain for a lifetime because I already know that the "lose it quickly by any means necessary" ways don't work for me.

I will happily cheer you along on your road, though; even if it's very different from mine, we're headed for the same svelte place.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #7  

No, no y'all misunderstood. That's what I was trying to say. I COULDN'T do Michael Thurmond's plan because it did restrict certain food groups. All I was going to take from his plan was kind of a blueprint for how to structure my day, for instance, for breakfast would need a protein and a carb...but use the WW plan to build on that, then around 10 am eat a fruit and a protein...but add to that to eat healthy....just a formula for me to make a meal plan. But you are right, its really thinking too much and that is the beauty of WWs....you can work your day around what's available. I need to clear my mind of all previous plans and work this plan the way it is written and this forum is really helping me see that the ones that are successful are the ones who do the plan as written. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #8  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Ohhhh! I gotcha--you're adapting the overall framework of the food-grouping from the Thurmond plan to the WW program. I am right there with you in my inability to do any kind of "NO!" plan.

Mea culpa, I'd misread your post.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Yikes! See and I went all psycho crazy for a minute there! lol! I still say do what you think is best for you and that's all that matters =D
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Good luck!

(P.S. Putting some paragraph breaks in your posts make it much easier for people to read, and therefore respond. And I read it but didn't respond because there wasn't a question or anything. Sometimes people post just to post, like on a blog, so I just read and move on. )
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #11  

You are right seagirl, I tend to write like I talk, just one ramble after another lol so I will put breaks. I should have known that as I feel the same way when reading other's posts.

I really admire how so many are so disciplined but I think I am on the right path. I really think this new WW is the best ever and just might be the one I can live with for life!

One more question. When I first started this time I joined WW online. At that time there was a tab for "shop" and that is where I ordered my books and calculator. Then I switched to monthly pass, which includes etools, so yesterday I went back in to order something else and couldn't find the books or anything. Are they only available if you are doing online? I can buy at the center but was just wondering.