Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default low cal Blackberry reciepes?

I have a a large thing of blackberries that I need to use up but I can't seem to find any easy healthy recipes for cobbler or muffins!

Any help? I would of course prefer it to be as low in calories as possible and use healthy ingredients and that it be a cobbler or muffin!

Thanks!
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

try the skinny taste blog. she has tons of ideas for making recipes low cal and low fat. i'm sure i've seen low or no fat muffins/bread on there somewhere. you could just use most any kind of muffin recipe and insert any fruit.

as for low fat cobbler...i made a low fat apple crisp a few months ago. you could do the same with berries. just spray your dish, put in the fruit, top with low fat granola cereal (or maybe you know how to make your own) and pop it in the oven. me and the kids ate it just like that. you could put some cool whip or something on it if you want. it was really good. i didn't miss the butter.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Bread pudding. Break up stale bread. If it is very hard, soak it in a bit of skim milk for an hour or so. Otherwise, beat an egg (or egg white), mix with the milk and a bit of sugar or Splenda or whatever you use, a dash of vanilla and cinnamon. Mix with bread. Put in a baking dish on top of the berries, or toss together with them, and stick in the oven at 375 or 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until a little browned on top. Basically French toast as a topping. Rye bread is especially good with strong-flavored things like berries. You can also use yogurt instead of the milk.

I've been baking my own bread and trying out some new recipes, so I have a lot of recipes for recycling old as well as less-than-successful bread....
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #4  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

You can take any regular recipe and substitute lower-cal options to make it healthier. I use whole wheat flour instead of white flour, stevia instead of sugar, apple sauce or mashed sweet potatoes in place of oil or butter, etc. You should google Cook Yourself Thin and find their online recipes, too, there are loads of great dessert ones!
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #5  

How funny - I was just looking on other sites for a recipe for a blackberry cobbler I made once....this one is from Betty Crocker, but when I made it, I left out the butter and I think only used 1/2 cup of pancake mix (in place of flour, salt, and soda), water (in place of milk), and splenda (in place of sugar) = so I didn't really make THIS recipe, but it's the same idea (I mostly needed the cooking instructions for mine):

2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blackberries (do not use blueberries)
1 cup sugar
1 cup Gold MedalŪ all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
Cream, whipped cream or ice cream, if desired

1. In medium bowl, stir together blackberries and sugar. Let stand about 20 minutes or until fruit syrup forms. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Stir in melted butter until blended. Spread in ungreased 8-inch square pan. Spoon blackberry mixture over batter.
3. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until dough rises and is golden. Serve warm with cream.
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7

Thanks girls!
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote