Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

Question new & have some questions

hi, I'm new.
i have 100 lbs to lose.
I'm scared. i have never had the will power to get going and stay going.

i was wondering what did you do to get your pantry and fridge ready for your change?
how do you keep yourself from buying the bad foods you know you don't need?

anyone married with kids and trying to deal with cooking foods that your family wants?
(my husband doesn't want to give up his sweet tea and my son drinks juice every so often, and i want some if both! )

also, does everyone weigh in daily?

how often do you do measurements?

how do you calculate your daily calories?

any other helpful tips would be wonderful to.

thanks!
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

1. I didn't, at first. I continued to eat whatever we had (just making smarter choices and eating smaller portions) until the next time we had to go shopping. Then, I just came with my mom and picked up some more vegetables, pita bread, and other things like that.

2. I luckily always have someone there to say 'No' or to ask me if I really need/want it. Most of the time I realise I don't need it, but once in a while I'll grab a bag of skittles, or a box of junior mints. They last me a few days to a week now, when they used to only last an hour or two. Again, this isn't very often, maybe once a month, so it doesn't really worry me.

3. I'm still living at home and usually eat whatever is for dinner. I make my own meals once in a while, when we're having something I REALLY don't want. Sorry I can't be of more help for this one.

4. Yep, I weigh in every day.

5. Not often enough. I took them last week for the first time in a couple months. I'm more likely to check the scale or how my pants fit than to actually measure myself, since it seems that the more weight I lose, the more the remaining weight on my body shifts around, messing up my measurements. (at least I think that's what's happening)

6. I use livestrong.com to calculate how many calories I get a day. I started out using: http://health.qandas.com/diet/how-ma...in-weight.html

I like it because it won't calculate an unhealthy goal.

As for tips...

Well these aren't anything special, but I learned that if you put your fork down after every bite, and take a drink of water, you eat slower, and can pace yourself. Plus you might be talking with family, so that will slow you down, too.

A glass of milk really helps curb hunger when I can't find anything to eat.

Count every calorie! lol

Be cautious of additives to food, like salt, gravy, etc.

that's all I can think of.... anyway, good luck!

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-18-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I can't count lol
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello and welcome!! You've found a great place to find lots of opinions on your questions.

Yes, I'm married with kids. My family has taken on this project with me, whether they wanted to or not. I try to find balance, but sometimes it's hard. I'm a stickler about drinks. We drink only water or milk. I'll let the kids get pop or whatever at a restaurant or special event, but that's it. That's how I tackled that problem. They don't need that stuff any more than I do.

My meals consist of a lean protein, a vegetable and a complex carb, usually. Sometimes instead of a complex carb I'll throw in macaroni and cheese or white mashed potatoes. I'll serve myself just a small portion of anything, but the rest of the meal is healthy. Again, I'm feeding myself the way I do because it is healthy and I am at my best when I eat this way. I want the same benefits for my family, especially my children. Hubby is welcome to hit the Fast Food joints when he's out and about if he so desires. But I am also facing the need for teaching my children about moderation. So we do allow sweets now and then. I'm teaching about portion control when we have things like ice cream. We read the box together, pull out the measuring cups and we measure a portion. I think that's good.

I do weigh daily. I discovered I obsess LESS when I allow myself to weigh whenever I want during the day. I also record my daily weight in the daily weight thread floating around here. I love that thread! I have developed a really good sense of how my weight fluctuates so I get far less cranky about it. I lose slowly but I see my pattern now. I do lose, I just happen to lose it all in just one week out of the month.

I measure about every three months. I measure my waist whenever I want to. LOL! I don't know why.

For calories, I have always adopted a very simple approach. I eat six meals a day and each meal is of equal caloric value. That way I never have to count more than 200. (Or 300 or whatever the number happens to be) I'm pretty routine about my calories now.

My biggest and best tip is to just stick with it. It can be done! It takes patience above all else. Plan to stick it out for at least a year and you will go far. I personally chose to make a commitment to being on plan for one year no matter what without giving up. Just making that commitment has landed at me at a near 80 pound loss in a year's time.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-18-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I know how scary and intimidating it can be to face the need to lose 100 pounds. Thinking of it as one lump sum may be overwhelming, so try to break it down into mini-goals that will feel much more manageable. Set yourself up for 5, maybe 10 pounds, give yourself a few weeks, and once you've accomplished that, do it again.

As for staying away from buying foods I don't need, I make sure I'm not hungry when I go shopping, and I prep myself with looking forward to what great things healthy food will do for my body, rather than lament on the junk food I "can't" or "shouldn't" have (which will only make me want it more).

My husband doesn't care for much of my "diet" food. He does his own thing and I do mine, with the exceptions of when I cook something we both can enjoy. Part of the key to that is finding healthier ways to cook the food he enjoys.

One thing that was difficult for me at first was soda. He always has to have some in the house, and I no longer want to have refined sugar. So I keep aspartame-free diet soda on hand for an occasional treat, and have switched myself off from regular soda completely. And when I say switched off, I mean that I don't allow myself any at all, no exceptions.

I do weigh in daily. I try not to do more than that because it would make me crazy.

I don't do calorie-counting, but many of the other members here will be able to give you suggestions. There are many websites that can help you with that, like the daily plate and spark people.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi! I have over 100 lbs to lose so I know just how daunting that task can look. First, I would suggest breaking it down into smaller goals. I lose 5lbs at a time. I try not to think beyond the next 5lbs or I'll get completely overwhelmed by it all. 5lbs though? I can handle 5lbs.

Now, on to your questions

1.) When I shop, I shop from and list and I read the labels on everything. If the calorie/fat/carb content is too much per serving, I just don't buy it. Sometimes I have to white knuckle through the ice cream aisle but once I'm past it I don't think about it so it works. Also, I don't keep things in the house that I am not able to stop myself from eating. I do keep a lot of things in the house that I am able to eat - like carrots, apples, grapes, etc. So I have easy, healthy snacks available when I get hungry.

2.) I am married and, while my husband is not willing to completely embrace the healthy lifestyle, he is aware that it's far more healthy for me to drop the weight so he's willing to eat healthier versions of some of the things he likes and I tend to eat less during the day with a light breakfast and lunch so I have more calories to use during dinner.

My hubs is not willing to give up his soda (I wish he would for his health and the cost) but I had to. I can't drink diet soda because I'm too sensitive to most artificial sweeteners so I had to white knuckle it and switch to water cold turkey. It was difficult at first but a little more than a month later and I actually crave plain water and I NEVER thought I'd say that!

3.) I do weigh everyday. For me it works best because I wouldn't have the patience to be able to go an entire week or month without checking my progress. Also, this allows me to see weight trends and I'm able to better handle scale fluctuations.

4.) I haven't measured myself. I probably should but for now it's just the weighing.

5.) Daily calories are so varied for each person but for me it started with the doctor who handed me a pamphlet for a 1500 calorie a day diet and then told me to "cut it down from there". UGH! Of course, me being who I am, I cut it WAY down. Then between the fine chicks here and my hubs I was convinced that lower didn't always equal better so I settled at about 1200 calories a day. Still lower than the 1500 the doctor told me to "cut down" but high enough to allow me to properly feed my body.

Good luck and don't be afraid to play around with calories/carbs/whatever until you find what works best for you and your lifestyle!!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

WELCOME! So glad you posted here. Folks at this forum are helpful, wise and friendly.

1. The way I got my kitchen ready for a healthy food lifestyle was to get rid of most of the junk food and keep healthy food instead. I feel that setting up a healthy environment is esstential for me. I figure out generally what meals I'll be cooking or foods I'll be needing and make my list according to that. Don't go to the store hungry!

2. It's just DH and me now...kids are grown and gone. He mostly eats what I fix or I want to eat. I'll ask him or give him a choice for the meal when I am cooking. Often, I'll make something like garlic bread and he fixes his the way he likes it and then I do mine the way I like it. He also likes to fix himself fattening snacks and meals on his own. He is a healthy weight and even forgets to eat. (I know - I could just pinch him).

He likes candy, ice cream and cookies. (me too!) These things are brought in when he wants to eat them - they aren't around in general. If he is wanting some of that - he will go to the store or drugstore and bring it home then. Sometimes we will go on a 'cookie date' to the starbucks and I'll have a biscotti. Sometime he moans about not having all the sweets around - but, he respects that it's just too hard for me. He, however, has chips, full fat cheeses, sweetened cereal,etc -around because I don't care about that.

3. I always weigh on Wednesdays (official weigh in day) and sometimes I weigh in between if I feel like it.
4. I have never measured my body parts. (probably should have, though) I just figure it's less when I go to a smaller size clothing.

5. I calulated my calorie amount, when I was calorie counting, using Sparkpeople. Right now I am using a food exchange program - the Richard Simmons plan. (based on the American Dietetic Assoc.) It will be easier for me after my surgery (whenever that is...)

I think the most important thing I've learned along the way is to plan, plan and plan some more.

If I eat off my plan - I have learned to forgive myself and hop right back on it asap.

If you have meals planned, then all those food thoughts of 'what will I eat next?' go away. No more food thoughts spinning around in your head - because it's planned.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmom85 View Post
i was wondering what did you do to get your pantry and fridge ready for your change?
I did everything one step at a time. Years ago, my very first change was to switch from white bread to wheat bread (it wasn't until later that I learned about WHOLE wheat bread). Then when that became habit, I switched ONE of my snacks for a piece of fruit. Baby steps. That really helped me. And over time, those steps sure add up. AND if "junk food" "ends" up in my house, I am not afraid to throw it away if need be.

Quote:
Don't go to the store hungry. Make a list and stick to it. And now, I am switching most of my groceries over to amazon.com and peapod.com. This will help me to pretty much never buy something spur of the moment b/c the display is pretty.

Quote:
anyone married with kids and trying to deal with cooking foods that your family wants?
(my husband doesn't want to give up his sweet tea and my son drinks juice every so often, and i want some if both! )
I am married and we have one son who will be two in January. My sons diet consists of fruits, veggies, yogurt and dino shaped chicken nuggets. I offer him all sorts of things all the time... but he is still little. When he is bit older, we will get much stricter. Hubby eats what I cook because he is just so happy I am actually cooking! Lol! If he is hungry - he just has a bigger portion. I actually drink juice everyday. I get 100% juice and I add about 4 oz or less to a 12 oz can of seltzer. It's bubbly, refreshing and only about 35 - 45 calories.

Quote:
Sometimes... I get in habits were I do and then I start slacking off.

Quote:
The trainer at the gym measures me every 6 - 8 weeks.

Quote:
I either read the package or I find a lot of info on nutritionaldata.com

Quote:
thanks!
Try new things! Try new veggies - try new ways to cook them - try new recipes. I made a Butternut Squash Soup the other day. One serving was about 250 calories. It is SO rich, creamy and satisfying. (I think it was WAY more satisfying than a bowl of mac 'n' cheese!) I have decided to try every recipe in the cook book that this came out of!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #8  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

I just wanted to say Welcome! I also have 100lbs to lose, and have a long way to go.
First, you have done a great thing by signing up here. I In two weeks, I have received more information and support than I ever would have thought possible! What I DO recommend is that you follow those posters who have done it. They have some good stuff!

Also, I would say goodbye to the notion of "will power" I have learned that getting healthy is at least 50% mental, and the notion of "will power" implies that you are not strong enough to make the right choices. BULL$#@!

You made the decision to get healthy and have come to a great place to start. Everything now is about sticking with it. Make a bad decision? Forgive yourself and move on. Bad day? You can make up for it tomorrow.
Each day now is just a series of choices, because there is no "giving up"

Congrats on starting, and good luck!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

HI and welcome
I have a total of 180lbs to lose but am starting 30lbs at a time HAHA.

Engaged with three plus one foundling child.

Everyone in my house, with the exception of my eldest and the foundling could stand to lose a few pounds, sooo. I threw everyone on a lifestyle change. Tossed out a fridge, freezer and pantry full of food, and replaced it with good stuff. I say lifestyle change because that is what it is and was. Diets, do not work for us.

Since that day almost 12 weeks ago, I have lost 26lbs, hubs to be 23, middle spawn 22 and youngest spawn 30.

I weigh daily and measure weekly. I also weigh in weekly for the Biggest Loser challenge. I have to weigh daily to keep myself on track, and to learn my body and its trends and habits. What it responds to and what it doesnt

I started one step at a time. I did my food changes for six weeks and then added my work out. In the past I tried to change a bunch of stuff at a time, and lets just say that did not work. Ever.

I calculate my daily calories on livestrong.com and I try to keep them under a certain amount, and that gives me a bit of wiggle room for miscalculations. I have lost on average 2.3 lbs a week and have not missed a thing. The first few weeks were sucky LOL but now its much better.

I have gone into this with a "life happens" attitude. I cannot be "on plan" 100% of the time. So I plan ahead for birthdays, holidays and what not. On those days, I give myself freedom, for that one day or event, and stay healthy the rest of the time. This does not work for everyone, but it does work for me.

I will say, that I was scared too. I had NO idea how many people needed to lose over 100 lbs. I always thought it was never going to happen for me. And then I found this site. Quickly I became addicted HAHA.

Also, I had to remember and realize that my bad habits were being passed on to the kids, before when I would "diet" I would cook different things for kids and myself. They got fat too. They got lazy too. They were learning my bad habits. So, I just tossed the crap and started the new lifestyle, complete with workouts.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hi Coupon Mom and welcome.

As you can see from my ticker, I've lost more than 100 lbs. I started here in June 2009 at 295 lbs. So, take it from me, it's definitely doable if you have a reasonable plan and get lots of support.

I have 4 kids and a hubby, and I forced them to come along for the ride. I started cooking chicken or fish (or very rarely a lean meat) every single night along with 2 to 3 different vegetables. At first, my kids turned up their nose at half of it and constantly complained that I was starving them.(LOL) I usually, but not always, make a carb also, like pasta or rice. I don't eat that myself. I just eat the lean protein and veggies. We also only drink milk or water. No soda, no juice in the house anyway.

I stopped buying anything that was snacky-- no crackers, no popcorn, no cookies. If the kids got hungry they would stand with the fridge door open blinking at the light inside like it was a divine deity and wail "there's nothing to eat!!!!" And then, eventually they'd get a cheese stick, or an apple or a yogurt or some carrots and eat that (my kids span from teens to preschool, so I sort of have a range of ages...)

So an unexpected dividend for me was that after 18 months of eating like this, my kids are used to it. They chomp down brussel sprouts and mashed squash and broccolini with mushrooms. They eat fish and chicken and lots of fruit. And the very best thing? I was shopping with my daughter recently and she said, "you know mom, we are one of those families that eat really healthy..." and she was happy about it.

Also, over time, I've gotten able to keep stuff around the house and not eat it. Right now, there are girl scout cookies, thin mints, sitting on the counter and I haven't eaten any and know I won't. I have ice cream in the freezer.

However, in the beginning I could NOT take that much temptation-- in fact, I had to literally avert my eyes when I walked through the baked goods section at the grocery store, because even catching sight of a donut out of the corner of my eye was enough to trigger a huge craving.

It gets easier. Your kids won't mind. If your hubby isn't supportive then smack him. (kidding.)

I also count calories, on FITDAY. It helps.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!! You have a lot of answers here to read through and I didn't read all of them (I'm not even sure I completely read any of them..lol), but each of us is different and though we are on the same journey and we tackle most things somewhat similar, we each have to find the little tweeks that work best for us.

Quote:
hi, I'm new.
i have 100 lbs to lose.
I'm scared. i have never had the will power to get going and stay going.

I'm not sure I can say I was scared at all, because I knew what I had to do to lose weight each time, but it has been a process of trial and error that has helped me diet my way up to this weight (oh and also having a handful of babies hasn't helped). I have learned the hard way that the only way I am going to be able to do this is no matter what I can't slack off, at all! I may have an oops, but I have to catch myself immediately and get right back on track. Not catching those little blips have turned into big, long, extended blips.. the last one lasting a year and bringing my weight up over 30 pounds from where I stopped!! I'm more scared of where I will be in a year if I don't keep control now, than of what will happen if I keep control.

We are slowly eating the bad things. Money is a pretty big issue for my family, I'm a stay at home mom and we have 4 kids, so money is always tight. We can't afford to throw things away. We never really kept snacks in the house.. because if we bought them we ate them right away and they didn't sit around. But the things we need to cut out that are here are still here and we are eating them slowly to get them gone... like the HUGE bag of long grain white rice I have here.. yes brown is better for us, but I can't toss a $5 bag of rice, so we are eating it but measuring our portions and trying to not eat it more than once a week. Same with the sack of white potatoes, once a week, the beef.. once a week, etc.

I just don't buy it, simple as that. I know most plan all their meals and snacks and shop to the list, I'm not one who that fits for so I just know what we can eat and what we can't (yes I say we, because like it or not my family is coming along on this journey! It's important for my kids to learn to eat healthy so they don't end up like I was).

I have decided to NEVER drink my calories. Sometime back I switched from making our iced tea with a cup to a cup and a half of sugar per gallon to using 25 packets of sweet n low.. now I have that scaled down to 20 of them. At first the taste didn't make us happy, but now it's the way we prefer it and friend who come over are forever asking my secret because my tea is so good. If they only knew how lazy I was and just put the sweet n low and cheapest tagless teabags I can buy in the jug and filled it with hot tap water they would die since most of them boil and strain and what ever to get tea! We buy juice for the little ones, but I buy natural no sugar added juices and they are allowed to have it in moderation. If you can't control yourself with the juice maybe consider buying the boy juice boxes. That said.. yes I have a hubby and a family.. we have 4 kids, 3 boys: almost 12, almost 5 and 18 months and a girl almost 6 (yep 3 of them are Christmas babies!!), the kids especially sometimes balk at the new things we are eating, but they get the same things everyone else does.. meaning what I pick to cook. My only sounding board is hubby and we work together to make some of the things that we love more healthy.

Every. Single. Day. Now the only one that I count as "official" is Wednesdays, but for some reason if I skip that scale on any given morning I'm setting myself up for failure that day, and failure is not an option!

hmmm good question. I did them last Wednesday for the first time, it was the end of my 2nd week. I'm thinking like the 1st of every month from now on, but I'm not sure yet.

I use fitday.com to track them if that is what you are looking for. There are also lots of places to see what you should be eating calorie wise. My advice is to use one of them or even just pick a calorie allotment you think you can live with, eat it 100% for 2 weeks and then see how you are doing if you are losing too much up them by 100 or so and try again, and the same with too slow drop them by 100 and try again for the 2 weeks. For me I have mine pretty low, but I seem to do better keeping them low, the second I raise them I start to make more unhealthy decisions and often will go over my calories by quite a bit. Like I said before we each have to find what works for us.

I drink a lot of water, at least 96oz a day, I exercise every day, whether I want to or not.. I do mostly the Walk Away the Pounds videos because they are easy on my body but I'm still feeling the workout. I also have some weight equiment I try to hit a few times a week.

thanks!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote