Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Exclamation Hmm need some support.

I just sort of need some support and/or encouragement. I'm now down to 173lbs- I weigh less than all my friends, but being 4'9'' makes me look x3 times heavier. I'm hanging in there- eating less, eating healthier, exercising more (though not as much as I used to. Trying to get back into the swing of things.)

Imagine my shock when I got on the scale today and saw it go up to 175.8 (I'm on my period.) Luckily I remembered, or I might have had a breakdown lol.

I'm just excited to get to 170. That will mean I've lost 15lbs. Then just 5 more lbs, and that will be 20. Then I'll only have about 20-25 more pounds to lose to get to my first goal weight.

The numbers on the scale are finally going down-but my measurements seem to have gotten bigger. Why? Is my weight redistributing? Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm doing okay, but I STILL keep running into people that tell me I'm doing it wrong. They tell me "LIFT WEIGHTS! You can't lose weight just by doing cardio."

Am I screwing myself over in the longrun? Should I really take up weights? I don't want to put all this effort in only to get no rewards in the end, you know? I honestly feel like I should have lost more. I've only lost 12lbs in 3-4 months. I've been off all soda for 2 1/2 years, I don't eat cake, cookies, ramen, poptarts, cereal. I didn't even have cake on my 21st birthday.

I just need an extra push. Is what I'm doing right?

Last edited by yhahmd; 10-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #2  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Are you actually measuring? Or do you just feel like your size is increasing? Is it increasing all over or just in some places?

For me, I started to lose serious inches (not pounds, though) when I got serious about adding in strength training. The cardio is GREAT - but it didn't work by itself (at least not for me).

I actually did better in terms of both weight & inches lost by incorporating Jillian's 30 Day Shred (25 minute workout) vs. just running. I decreased the amount of time I was hitting the pavement & increased strength training. I think that the build up of lean muscle is so beneficial because it continues to burn fat long after you are done workout out.

Anyway, I do believe that it isn't an all or nothing deal - some combination of cardio & strength training is the best for our bodies overall.

It sounds like you are doing great. Don't get discouraged - we can't dictate HOW or WHERE the pounds/inches come off first. Just stay the course & know that you are doing the right thing for your health. The rest will fall into place.

Good luck to you!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #3  

I actually measured. The last time I measured (months ago, granted, but I've lost weight since then) I was:

waist: 37 1/2
chest: 45
thigh: 24
hips: 46 1/2

Just a week ago I was:
waist: 39 1/2 (no way, right? what the **** happened?)
chest: n/a
thigh: 24 1/2
hips: 49 1/2

something must be wrong. maybe I was measuring wrong before, but my mom helped me, so I don't really know.

I really want to get the 30 day shred! What are your opinions on it? Is it for a more advanced person, with more mobility, or for everyone, depending on if you push yourself and know your limits?

Admittedly, I don't eat as well as I could. I eat A TON less, and I DO count calories, but I still eat breads and fried foods maybe once every 2-3 weeks. So yeah, I know I could be doing better.

I'm just so discouraged, weighing LESS than all my friends, but looking so much heavier than them
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

You and I are pretty much the same size. I put 4'10" down, but its really 4'9 1/2. I started out about 12 pounds higher than your highest, but we obviously have very different body shapes. My waist was MUCH larger than yours to start, but I didnt have the hips, thighs or bust measurement that you had.
I can tell you this, which might make you feel better..at our short stature, a loss of just 10 pounds shows up really quickly! Just like a gain of 10 pounds does the same. We simply don't have as big an area to store the fat on, so it shows much quicker. I have dropped from a size 18 to a size 8 or 10 now (depends on the cut). Don't let hte little numbers on the tape get to ya. It could be any number of things. You may be measuring in a slightly different spot..especially with the waist. You will find that as you lose, the narrowest part of your waist changes position.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSiren View Post
You and I are pretty much the same size. I put 4'10" down, but its really 4'9 1/2. I started out about 12 pounds higher than your highest, but we obviously have very different body shapes. My waist was MUCH larger than yours to start, but I didnt have the hips, thighs or bust measurement that you had.
I can tell you this, which might make you feel better..at our short stature, a loss of just 10 pounds shows up really quickly! Just like a gain of 10 pounds does the same. We simply don't have as big an area to store the fat on, so it shows much quicker. I have dropped from a size 18 to a size 8 or 10 now (depends on the cut). Don't let hte little numbers on the tape get to ya. It could be any number of things. You may be measuring in a slightly different spot..especially with the waist. You will find that as you lose, the narrowest part of your waist changes position.
I feel MUCH better after reading this. I'm actually 4'9'' 1/2, as well. I have hips and butt like you wouldn't believe, lol. My bust is so-so I've noticed some change in my bra size since I've lost weight. I'm in size 20 pants right now, working my way to size 18. I have a really nice waist now, but and I still have trouble problems (my back- my thighs- my arms-) but my stomach is what gets me down the most. Since I'm so small, I don't have a "spare tire" I have one of those gross hangy-stomachs (not trying to offend anyone here, sorry if I did!) and it just looks terrible. I have to wear a gurdle with most everything to pull it up and in. My goal weight is 140. I'd LOVE to be 120 or even lower, but 140 is my goal weight. I'd even be happy at 150 something.

Since we're the same height and similar- did you also have knee/pelvis problems? I'm 21, but I have issues with my knees, supporting so much extra weight. I can't really run yet, but I do bike and I'm starting up tae bo again. Once I get the first 20 off, I think I'll feel a LOT better!

Last edited by yhahmd; 10-15-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #6  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Dont get discouraged!

When I measure - I always remeasure immediately to make sure I get the same measurement. If I dont, I keep measuring until it reads the same twice.

Also, if you are on your period you could be bloated..adding some inches.

Try to postpone your freakout until a few days after your period. And keep up your awesome efforts.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Just don't give up. Nobody is perfect 100% of the time, not even me.

I have not done any strength training at all, so far. For the longest time, I was doing well to just walk. So, you CAN lose weight without the muscle toning exercises, but you won't necessarily shape up nicely. It's a lot better if you can do both. Helps to firm up the saggy spots while you lose.

In the end, please don't compare yourself to your friends. They are them and you are you. Do your own best and focus on how to the best with your own self. If you compare to others, you will without a doubt find something where you are lacking and then not be able to live up to your own potential.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't have any additional advice, since you got some great feedback. I just wanted to send you a supportive
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #9  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I weight train and lost inches before the pounds came off.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I think your loss rate is good too. I wish people would say we should lose 4-8 pounds a month rather than 1-2 pounds a week. It's the same thing, but really no one loses steadily every week. The rare lucky woman does. Your 12 pounds in 3 months is the recommended 4 pounds in one month.

As for waist size, I almost posted a new thread about this. My waist seems to bounce the same way my weight does. My weight lowers to a new low number, then always bounces up for a few weeks. Then it goes down to a new low and bounces up again. My waist seems to do the same thing! I saw 29 inches two months ago and was ecstatic! Then it bounced up to 30 and 31 and only just this week have I seen 29 inches again. My waist doesn't stay the same. And sometimes I do thing the fat redistributes itself. But it could be water inches too, though I've never heard it mentioned before. But it makes sense. Our bodies retain water to repair muscles so if our arms are being repaired, there's extra water in there...right? I don't know. But it makes me feel better to think so.

As for exercise, it's a personal choice. I'm a huge advocate for cardio and weights! But, exercise does seem to throw a wrench into the losses for a lot of us. That's ok as long you understand what is going on inside the body. At this point, I am a lot smaller than my weight would suggest because I have a lot of muscle and pretty toned. But I had to come to terms with the fact that the scale has been very slow and stalls frequently. For me, I had to make a commitment to being on plan for a year no matter what. That has been the key to my success. I can't believe I have been able to stick with it this long and lose this much!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyjordon2002 View Post
I think your weight loss is great, 12-13 lbs in 3-4 months is no easy accomplishment and you did very well. I lift weights, it helps my clothes to fit better. Lifting weights does not make you gain weight and if it does it is only temporary. I always combine cardio with weight training and it really helps tone your body. But my advice is keep doing what you are doing because obviously it is working for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I think your loss rate is good too. I wish people would say we should lose 4-8 pounds a month rather than 1-2 pounds a week. It's the same thing, but really no one loses steadily every week. The rare lucky woman does. Your 12 pounds in 3 months is the recommended 4 pounds in one month.

As for waist size, I almost posted a new thread about this. My waist seems to bounce the same way my weight does. My weight lowers to a new low number, then always bounces up for a few weeks. Then it goes down to a new low and bounces up again. My waist seems to do the same thing! I saw 29 inches two months ago and was ecstatic! Then it bounced up to 30 and 31 and only just this week have I seen 29 inches again. My waist doesn't stay the same. And sometimes I do thing the fat redistributes itself. But it could be water inches too, though I've never heard it mentioned before. But it makes sense. Our bodies retain water to repair muscles so if our arms are being repaired, there's extra water in there...right? I don't know. But it makes me feel better to think so.

As for exercise, it's a personal choice. I'm a huge advocate for cardio and weights! But, exercise does seem to throw a wrench into the losses for a lot of us. That's ok as long you understand what is going on inside the body. At this point, I am a lot smaller than my weight would suggest because I have a lot of muscle and pretty toned. But I had to come to terms with the fact that the scale has been very slow and stalls frequently. For me, I had to make a commitment to being on plan for a year no matter what. That has been the key to my success. I can't believe I have been able to stick with it this long and lose this much!
Really? I thought I was way behind! I feel a lot better, now! I always thought I should have lost at lesat 20-25 by now or something.

And @ Eliana: maybe that is the problem, because I've noticed it a lot and never really understood what happened. I saw my waist in te 30's and was overjoyed, then it went back up to the 50s and I felt crushed. I just didn't understand. But it's good to know I'm not the only gone going through it. I weighed myself today and I'm at 172. Soo much better than 173.8 lol!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

I highly recommend to anyone that you should check out the thread "Don't Let The Scale Spook You...." in the 100 pound club forum. Women who are LOSING weight there post their weights daily and you will see that we all bounce up and down. Some are pretty steady, some are stalled, some bounce. It gives you a great idea of what real weight loss looks like every day. Here's a sample of mine. It shows very clearly the bounce I'm talking about. I hit a new low at the beginning of the month, then you see it creep up over four pounds, and now I'm losing the four again and will hopefully see a new low this week sometime. This is my very routine pattern.

1: 161.6
2: camping...no weigh in
3: 160.8
4: 161.8
5: 161.8
6: 161.8
7: 163.2
8: 163.8
9: 163.0
10: 163.0
11: 163.6
12: 164
13: 164
14: 165
15: 163.6
16: 162.4
Old 10-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I highly recommend to anyone that you should check out the thread "Don't Let The Scale Spook You...." in the 100 pound club forum. Women who are LOSING weight there post their weights daily and you will see that we all bounce up and down. Some are pretty steady, some are stalled, some bounce. It gives you a great idea of what real weight loss looks like every day. Here's a sample of mine. It shows very clearly the bounce I'm talking about. I hit a new low at the beginning of the month, then you see it creep up over four pounds, and now I'm losing the four again and will hopefully see a new low this week sometime. This is my very routine pattern.

1: 161.6
2: camping...no weigh in
3: 160.8
4: 161.8
5: 161.8
6: 161.8
7: 163.2
8: 163.8
9: 163.0
10: 163.0
11: 163.6
12: 164
13: 164
14: 165
15: 163.6
16: 162.4

Now that I have a new scale, I can see that happening with me, too. Over the last 5 days (I only just started up again. I sort of stop for a while and give myself a break if I haven't gained any weight back) I've been:

12th:173
13th:174
14th:172.8
15th:173.8
16th: 172

so I can definitely see what you mean. Some people say not to weigh every day- but I just can't help it. It's sort of exciting.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
Now that I have a new scale, I can see that happening with me, too. Over the last 5 days (I only just started up again. I sort of stop for a while and give myself a break if I haven't gained any weight back) I've been:

12th:173
13th:174
14th:172.8
15th:173.8
16th: 172

so I can definitely see what you mean. Some people say not to weigh every day- but I just can't help it. It's sort of exciting.
We have that discussion around here often. It's wonderful when you hear that someone finds something that really works for them be it weight monthly, weekly or daily. I know the most heard recommendation is weekly, but I think that's garbage. Everyone needs to experiment. I love weighing daily because I obsess LESS by allowing myself to hop on the scale whenever I want. Otherwise it's all I think about all day long. And with my pattern of loss, I won't SEE a loss for a month sometimes because of those crazy bounces if I only weigh weekly. This shows me what fluctuations are and I can almost predict what my weight is going to be from day to day.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #15  

I got a lot of great advice and personal thoughts on things in here, thanks guys! I was sort of discouraged after looking at my xanga and realizing I was still 8lbs away from my first mini-goal, but then I just thought- 8lbs is a lot less than 12. I'll definitely go check that thread out