Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Long-term goals

Would be interested to know what people have for their long-term goals. I've always found it easy enough to lose weight for short-term goals like a wedding dress, operation, etc. but much harder when it comes to why do I want to keep it off. I don't care what I look like, I don't buy "nice" clothes because I just find it a waste of money, I find it bizarre that looking normal has become abnormal and being painted, wearing fake hair, adding bumps to your hair to elongate your head and sticking stuff on your eyelashes has become normal! I just want to look like a person. I won't gain "health" as such because I will still be severely ill. I'd love to know what other people's long-term wishes are to see if I can take some inspiration to get there, stay there, and above all not to be tempted to get any thinner than normal.

Thanks.

** Oops, just realised this may be a better fit in "maintenance", I guess it depends on whether you want to think about long-term goals as coming after the weight loss or during. Mods feel free to decide!

Last edited by RoseRodent; 10-15-2010 at 04:46 AM.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/180/120

Height: 5"7

My short term goals are to fit into my size 12 clothes without them being too tight (I'm guessing 150-160lbs), get back to my "normal" weight that I was without bingeing (140-145lbs) and then get to my "skinny" weight (133lbs). My long term goal is to maintain at 120-125lbs
skinnylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Even if you still have health problems, you still will be healthier at a BMI in the healthy range. Being overweight can complicate other issues as well as create more issues for you to deal with. So even if I had ongoing health problems that weren't cured by losing weight, I would still want to be in the healthy range.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I know this sounds obvious, but just keeping the weight off is a big long term goal for me. Also encouraging my family to make better choices. I'm hoping to now start working on my emotional issues that apparently we're related to my weight and learn to stop binging. Lastly I have a number of fitness goals. I'm running a half marathon in November and hope to continue to challenge myself.

Last edited by ncuneo; 10-15-2010 at 08:10 AM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I wear jeans and t-shirts to work everyday, but I still want to look good in them! No muffin top, I need to be able to breath in my jeans, laying on the bed to zip up is no fun. 90# dogs and mad cats at the vet hospital aren't going to wait for me to be able to move and do my job.

I like knowing even if I'm in the garden in a pair of raggedy cutoffs and a tank top, I still look good!

So even if you're not a clothes horse, or make up and hair freak, it still feels good to look good in what you do wear.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Long term goals:
- get to 170 or lower
- maintain the weight lost
- look good
- feel good
- be able to run 6 miles at a time
- avoid diabetes
- avoid high cholesterol (if possible)
- teach my son (and any future children) healthy eating habits
- be at a healthier weight when it is time to try for baby #2
- be a good influence on my hubby's eating habits

Wow! That's a lot!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My long term goal is to always be in the best shape I can be for such events as:

Lugging junk to fireworks
Planning and preparing Thanksgiving
Decorating and preparing for all holidays and having enough energy left to enjoy them too.
Having the desire to attend a baseball game even though it involves climbing a stadium.
Wanting to do something besides sit by the pool on vacation.

In order to achieve that goal, I have to remain at a healthy weight.

Good thought provoking question. I hadn't really thought about how all those things are tied into my maintaining and that I do have a goal after all of this is done.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Long-term goals:

Get rid of this stinking tendinitis that gives me so much pain even with simple walking!

Hike more than three hours. (need to be lean and graceful enough to use a cathole)

Get in and out of a canoe without thinking I'll fall in.

Get up and down from the floor without a helping hand.

Sleep on the ground in a tent (rather than on the cots we currently use)

Bike for more than 20 minutes, more than twice a season

Avoid diabetes

Shop in "normal" clothes stores
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Sleep on the ground in a tent (rather than on the cots we currently use)
I don't know...I think I've given up on this one. We just completed a camping trip and though I survived on the ground, it was the longest night of my life. I'm thinking there's no reason to rough it in this century.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I don't know...I think I've given up on this one. We just completed a camping trip and though I survived on the ground, it was the longest night of my life. I'm thinking there's no reason to rough it in this century.
I know... at 45 I'm sorta thinking the same thing. But I've always wanted to do an overnight backpacking trip at least once, and I certainly wouldn't be able to bring a cot along!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Hmmm....outside of just being thinner, my long term goals include:

1. Being healthier and not having to worry about all the health issues that are caused by/complicated by being overweight.

2. Being able to go to an amusement park and know that I can fit into any ride there (not that I would actually ride them, but still...)

3. Knowing that if I ever lost my mind and decided flying anywhere was a good idea, I could comfortably fit into the seats and not have to worry about paying for the second seat for my "fat".

4. Being able to shop for clothes off the rack anywhere without worrying about finding the plus size section and whether or not that plus size section would have sizes large enough to fit me.

So, I guess I could basically sum it all up by saying that I want to get to the point where my weight is no longer a factor to be considered as I make life decisions.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #12  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

I want to have more energy overall. That is my big #1 long-term goal. I'm sick of being tired all. the. time. and leading such a sedentary lifestyle. I'm only 24, I shouldn't want to spend half of my time sleeping.

Another long-term goal is that I want to have a closet full of clothes that I love, that I *fit into*, and that I feel confident wearing. That's not to say I need to go out and buy more clothes, but if I can consistently stay at a healthy weight, I could fit into most everything in my closet. Right now I only fit into maybe 1/4 of my clothes at a time, and it's irritating when the closet's full but there's nothing to wear.
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine73 View Post

So, I guess I could basically sum it all up by saying that I want to get to the point where my weight is no longer a factor to be considered as I make life decisions.
Oh, that's good! That's a great long term goal for why we want to keep it off in maintenance.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I want to look hot naked. That's it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote