Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/160.2/135

Height: 5'6.5

Question Now I know why I binge... but I still need help fixing it

I'm new to 3fc and I'm SO thrilled to see this thread!!!!!

So, as you know, people binge for many different reasons. For some people, anger is a trigger. For others it's sadness or certain people or certain days of the week etc.. I have spent a lot of time analyzing myself and my eating habits and I think I have a firm grasp on why I binge: Boredom.

I'm living in a new city and I don't know many people, and that means I don't have a very active social life. I get home from work around 7 and have a long evening ahead of me with nothing to do. My days are pretty unsatisfying and so I want to do something I'll enjoy. Usually, that something is binging (I don't enjoy it afterward, but during I LOVE it). How can I combat that?!

I guess what I need help with is finding the perfect hobby so that I'm not bored. I'm not artistic and I'm not patient, so crafty things like knitting are more frustrating than anything else for me. I like to read but find I'm often too tired when I get home (reading will cause me to fall right asleep).

I dunno... any suggestions?
YoYono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

How about going to a book store? I find that if I'm out of the house (which I can't really do since I have kids) at night, it keeps me busy and out of trouble. Or maybe a library? How about using this time to go to the gym and just walk on the treadmill? Even if you go very slowly, it's still better than binge eating at home. I'm going to sound like such a dork, but sometimes, I'll sing karaoke on youtube! It's really funny but I love it (my husband...not so much). Can you play games online against other people? I don't like that sort of thing, but some do. What about painting with oils? Put a mud mask on your face. Call your friends. Watch a great movie rental. Bubble bath? Paint your nails.

Finally, just make a decision not to binge. You know you're doing it cuz it is just temporary relief. If you can go to bed and read and fall asleep, that's still better than eating mass quantities of food you don't need. I have a major problem with binge eating, so no judgment from me....only empathy. It's great that you've figured out why, by the way....that is really half the battle.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

maybe you just need some new buddies? I am quite lonely at night and i get crazy depressed. may I ask what your age group is and what borough you live in? I am all over brooklyn queens and long island. And im a 20something.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #4  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Maybe be a member of facebook ~lots to do on there...Or drink lots of water so your full ~During those stressful times! HUGS* GOODLUCK!
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/160.2/135

Height: 5'6.5

Thanks, guys!

Lucky Mommy - I love the idea of looking into YouTube Karaoke. It sounds hilarious and very engaging!

Mescelstus: I'm a 20-something, but I don't live in New York (at least, not anymore). I do need some new buddies, though, and I'm hoping 3FC will provide some of the distraction and connection I'm missing. In fact, it already has

I'm going to go curl up with a great novel after a wonderful, binge-free day
YoYono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Why not join a YMCA or take a class, maybe tai chi or yoga. You'll get to meet new people and they'll be people who are motivated to take care of themselves.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote