Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #1  
Y U NO EAT RITE?

S/C/G: HW: 250

Height: 5 foot 7 and a heifff

Unhappy I feel like I am becoming obsessed with this.

I started a weight loss regimen a little over a month ago.
Ever since then, that is all I really talk about with my family and friends. I tell myself that I will not talk about it as much, but to no avail. My girlfriend is starting to feel like she is not important to me and I am really trying to show her that that is not the case. Don't get me wrong, she supports me in my desire to lose weight but she feels like it is taking over.

All I do anymore is think about working out and what I am eating. What can I do so I stop worrying so much about what I am eating and stop thinking about what I will be doing at the gym? I understand that it is supposed to be fun and exciting to look forward to a workout but I feel like I am going overboard.

Any advice?
Persicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #2  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Plan it ahead of time and then leave it at that. That's what I do.
Its in my agenda, its on my meal plan, that's what's being done, that's what's being eaten . . . . done.
It took some time getting used to it, but that's what it took for me.
If it's a plan that's made . . . there's no point in thinking about it after that, if you're on plan, there's no need to dwell on it either.

Hope you figure something out that works for you
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  
pleasantly plump from '82

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'9

I am exactly the same way! I started WW on Aug 31st and every single person I've encountered since that day is well aware of that decision. I think for the first 6 weeks or so the people in your life will just have to remember that this is a huge thing in your life and that talking about it helps keep you on track. After that you'll just have to reserve the diet, fitness and health chat for the forums.

Not advice. Just my thoughts. Good Luck!
sal27253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well, for me, I didn't discuss it all. It was a very personal thing and quite frankly, I don't think any one else needs/wants to hear it.

As my weight loss became more noticable to others, then it did come up a lot more frequently, but I was still very vague about it.

When I needed to discuss it, I came here (still do

As far as being obsessed with it, well I do agree that you should plan ahead, this way you know for certain what you will be eating and there won't be much to contemplate or think about. You plan it out in advance and than everything's been already determined.

But you do have to recognize that there's nothing wrong with being concerned about fitting in your workouts and where your healthy food is coming from. Eating healthy, losing weight won't happen on it's own. It DOES require, planning, effort, thought, dedication, work, time, etc... This is not some frivolous way to whittle away your time. It's important!

I think as you get more into it, it will become more natural to you and automatic. It'll be just what you do. Just another day at the office. Same old, same old. You're creating a new normal. Keep up the good work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persicae View Post
I started a weight loss regimen a little over a month ago.
Ever since then, that is all I really talk about with my family and friends. I tell myself that I will not talk about it as much, but to no avail. My girlfriend is starting to feel like she is not important to me and I am really trying to show her that that is not the case. Don't get me wrong, she supports me in my desire to lose weight but she feels like it is taking over.

All I do anymore is think about working out and what I am eating. What can I do so I stop worrying so much about what I am eating and stop thinking about what I will be doing at the gym? I understand that it is supposed to be fun and exciting to look forward to a workout but I feel like I am going overboard.

Any advice?
I'm in the same position. Sometimes I notice myself getting obsessed too such as with being very strict on myself and I even think a lot about new exercises and stuff. The good thing is you realize when it's going on so things don't get too out of control. What I do is I just take a step back and busy myself with other things. With college being in session now it's not that difficult lol. I still keep up with my diet and exercise but now I have other things to think about. With your girlfriend maybe you can do activities with her. Things you both like. Maybe go walking or something together.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #6  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I haven't really been "discussing" per se either. I have a very good close friend whom I mentioned I was walking more to. I was already walking so it did seem too much out of the ordinary. But she noticed the weight coming off of me (as well as my mom) and asked if I was doing anything "special". I just smiled and replied "Yes, I started treating myself special." And left it at that I think as you progress on your journey, you'll be less consumed by it because it will, as rockinrobin said, just become a normal part of your routine. Best wishes in acheiving your goals dear.

Last edited by islandchick1; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I don't discuss it with anyone, except here; but I am fairly obsessive about it, inwardly. I do find planning ahead is the only way to go: once it's planned, it's what I do and, gradually, I found that it was perfectly easy to stick to it, because it was just what I did, if that makes sense.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #8  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I had the same reaction. I started last June trying to lose weight and I felt that the 'planning, thinking, decision-making' took over my life. I felt that all I did was try to lose weight. I got to the point I was driving myself crazy, and since I wasn't very sucessful, discouraged also.

I thought of quitting, and restarting when I 'felt more myself' again, but decided to pour my energy in something {anything!} else. I took up a few new hobbys, started a few projects, and found I was spending more time on them than 'that weightloss thing'. Surprisingly, I found that was when I started to lose weight more consistantly.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #9  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I have been the same way since I committed to a healthy lifestyle last December. I actually went a little 'underground' for several months because I couldn't talk about anything else & came out a different person, both physically and mentally. I have officially reached my goal weight, but I still obsess relentlessly about it.

I think the previous poster who suggested plan it, stick to it, and then forget it has it spot on. The days I have to think about food (what to prepare for dinner for my family, what to eat for lunch) or when/how will I fit in exercise are the worst days for me. This was good advice for me, too - thanks!

Conversationally, I've had to make a conscious effort not to talk about it all the time. After awhile, it honestly got old HAVING to talk about my weight/food/exercise/etc. It was such a drastic change for some people, they couldn't look at me & not think about what they were eating (or not eating) and their own fitness routine (or lack thereof). I found people were apologetic about their own choices (which was weird & uncomfortable for me, too) & I just wanted them to be NORMAL. That was why i did this, for cryin' out loud...to be able to live a normal life.

Anyway, long winded way of saying that sometimes it takes a bit of obsession to push through, especially early on & during those inevitable rough patches. But, the more you plan & see results, the more confidence you will have in the positive outcome & in turn, be able to focus on other things.

I think...(she says as she is typing on 3FC while at work!!!).
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #10  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
Plan it ahead of time and then leave it at that. That's what I do.
Its in my agenda, its on my meal plan, that's what's being done, that's what's being eaten . . . . done.
It took some time getting used to it, but that's what it took for me.
If it's a plan that's made . . . there's no point in thinking about it after that, if you're on plan, there's no need to dwell on it either.
Yep, this is what I would have said too. Well said, Coon, m'dear!

Plan, plan, plan, and then plan some MORE!!! It's a lot of work up front, but SO worth it in the end when you're not questioning what to eat and how much of it. Not sure what your workout is today, I check the plan and I am set. My planning is starting to become a habit with me. I LOVE that.

I have a couple of people that I'll discuss my journey with a little. Nothing like I talk about things here. I use 3FC, like many others, for my main source of support.

Give yourself some time. You will get it sorted out. We will be right there with ya every step of the way.
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #11  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylmn View Post
(she says as she is typing on 3FC while at work!!!).
Don't worry!!! You are NOT the only one that should be working....
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #12  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm super obsessive too. It's a total secret from all my friends except my best friend, man , and roommates (hard to hide that much broccoli). I am at a computer 75 % of my waking day so I'm always on recipe websites and looking up weight this and diet that. So don't feel like your the only one for sure!

As for conversations, if my life is only diet- (I'm working from home right now so it's definitely the only thing I have to talk about) I just ask more questions. Asking your friend about her is definitely a way to make her feel important to you. What's her crisis right now- everybody's got one!
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #13  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
As for conversations, if my life is only diet- (I'm working from home right now so it's definitely the only thing I have to talk about) I just ask more questions. Asking your friend about her is definitely a way to make her feel important to you. What's her crisis right now- everybody's got one!
Excellent point! Lately when I notice that I'm talking just about food/diet/exercise, I take a breath & turn it over to someone else by asking a leading question ("So, what's new with you?" "Enough about me, how are YOU doing?"). And then (here's the hard part) LISTEN! Seriously, take an interest in the answer & focus on the other person (or people) for awhile. I'm working a lot on this, too. A life that is all about me is not much fun, and my relationships are important. They need the same care that I do.

Thanks for this reminder, Number8!!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #14  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Rather than "obsession", I call this my hobby. I know initially I was talking about it too much and that's where 3FC really helped. I could "talk" with folks here and not become obnoxious/boring with my face-to-face friends.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

I am very obsessed with it. I only really talk about struggles, etc... on here. Although, I wear a bodybugg and that gets a lot of attention from co-workers, etc... and I end up having to explain it a little bit - I try to be as vague and dismissive about it as possible.

I don't like attention being drawn to my weight, at all. It makes me feel very embarrassed and even slightly humiliated when the fact that I am so overweight is noticed by people.

I just want to slip away into a thinner me, with as little open discussion about it as possible with the people in my daily life.

As far as not being obsessed about it... For me, I think it is healthy for me to do that. This is one of the biggest things going on in my life right now. It's terrifying to so overweight and it is limiting my life, so I am A-OK with being obsessed with it. It consumes my thoughts a lot of the time. What is my running calorie count for the day? Did I spend enough time at the gym today? Am I well hydrated? What is my weight today? What were my measurements last week? Am I adequately nourished? Will the scale drop tomorrow? ... It is BECAUSE I don't allow myself the luxury of not thinking about it that I am dedicated to keep it up. I got to nearly 240lbs by ignoring it. My weight was so high because I was always "casually" dieting, because I didn't WANT to think about it... Now I NEED to think about the weight if it's going to change. I have found that when I do not think about it, I gain. I eat whatever I want. I go way over my calorie balance. I take days/weeks off at the gym at a time.

Focus is the only thing I have to keep pushing, I just do my best to not share it with all of my friends.

Last edited by GonnaTurnHeads; 09-16-2010 at 02:00 PM.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote