Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat - Sept 6 - Sept 12

I'm feeling forced to admit that summer might be dwindling. But celebrating the appearance of Delicata Squash and the apple crops helps me to accept the changing of the seasons.

Yesterday was an ideal fall day for a bike ride and various walkings about - if I'd just give up the mourning of the passage of summer, I could revel in the arrival of fall. We were graced by the passage of Hurricane Earl far enough out to sea that it only dropped some 0.4 inches of rain; Hurricane Kohoutek if ever there was one, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning all!

One week 'til my vacation - counting the hours!

DH and I had a great bike ride yesterday. The various hurricanes/storms didn't dump any on us but did provide spectacular clouds out over Lake Ontario. Cool and cloudy conditions made for great weather!

We rode around for almost 2 hours in a park that has sprung up from a clean fill dump site. Interesting combination of industrial man-made materials and nature. Lots of birds migrate through there every year and many birdwatchers go there almost every weekend.

I thought I'd feel sore in some spots today but I'm fine . Good to know as I've booked two 3-hour long bike tours of Chicago.

Got to go do some yoga and then head out to feed a cat and to see how the lake is for paddling.

Have a great holiday Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Bill, Fall is my favorite season but my anticipation of it is always touched with a bit of melancholy about the passing of summer. Once those golden days slip through your hands they are gone and I always feel that I did not use them wisely...

Dagmar, a two-hour bike ride sounds lovely. I need to try riding my DH's bike with my little boy in the back seat. Or just break down and buy my own bike. I just don't know where I'd put it!

We had my DD's 7th Bday party here on Saturday. We had a beautiful, sunny, breezy day. Eleven little girls came, and a couple moms stuck around. We hired a pony for pony rides, and I can safely say that the guests had an absolute blast! That was one patient equine. I ate waaaaay too much frosting while making the cake, but it came out beautifully and my DD loved it. My inlaws came for the party and they were a huge help and we've had a nice visit.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I relish the thought that it is almost fall. That means cooler weather and the ability to take an afternoon walk with Chico. I can't do that when the temps are 110+ in the afternoon. We walked 3-4 miles this morning in 80 degree weather and he showed just how out of shape he is. Poor dog needs more exercise!

I'm glad it's a long weekend and even more glad that the week is short! DD is coming home Thursday because of a dental appointment on Friday. While she'll miss a couple of classes, I'm glad she'll be home for the weekend. It'll be another month before my in-laws return. They're so ready to get out of Montana. The high today is less than 60 and most nights dip well into the freezing realm and they want warmer weather! I doubt they'll sign up for another summer like this one!

Well, we're off to a nice holiday lunch and a movie (we went to see The American yesterday and DS hated it. HATED it. So he got to choose today's movie: Vampires Suck. Although not my first choice, it should be funny).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I would love for it to be fall already, as my AC went out again yesterday morning... At least it is only supposed to be 87 today, and down in the mid-60's tonight... Blah. I am totally hating on my builder and his crappy contractors... I've been wallowing in hot and annoyed the last two days, have to shake that off and move forward. It did help push me towards taking some time off from exercise without beating myself up too hard, and I'm feeling a lot better for the break actually.

Amy - I'm glad the party went so well!

Allison - hope today's movie is a little more fun.

Dagmar - glad you enjoyed the bike ride!

Bill - fall fruits and veggies do make the loss of summer a little easier.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

At last a day!! Not awfully warm though. It is supposed to be the only one all week, so I'm about to go for a bike ride, well, after I finish mowing the lawn (came in to get a drink and pee ).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Allison-- glad your dd is coming home. I had promised younger dd a pedicure today but everyone was booked or closed so we went and saw The Switch with Jennifer Aniston. It was cute. We bought nail polish and dd painted my nails when we got home. She has a boyfriend now and we're having lots of boyfriend time! He was over yesterday afternoon and evening and I was trying not to hover but I wanted them to know I was around. Whenever it got quiet in the living room I kept finding reasons to pop down there!

same7lbs (Amy?)-- your dd's bday party sounded great!

Dagmar-- sounds like you will have fun in Chicago!

Hello to everyone else!!

I enjoyed Friday (furlough day) and Monday off but I worked Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow all of the classes start coming to the library and I have to give my spiel about taking good care of the books and the library a million times. I always get nervous! We have 1000 students now and I am feeling overwhelmed but I'm sure I'll be fine.

Dh has been gone for a week and will be gone for another week which always makes me feel overwhelmed too. Too much to do so I better get busy now!

Dd will have her first driving lesson this week which I know will stress me out too! It is Wed. evening and after she has her first lesson with an instructor she can drive with an adult. She already informed me that she wants to drive to school Thursday. Oh lord....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #8  

Default Good morning all!

DH and I didn't make it paddling yesterday due to high winds and some rain. But we did go for an hour-long walk in the afternoon and saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World last night. We had popcorn but with no butter and we both got small servings.

I went to bed almost right after the movie to avoid any more salty snacking.

I am having a unique problem with the cat I'm sitting. Not with the cat itself - he's a sweetie - but with the neighbour.

This is an alcoholic guy in his 40's who lives with his mother. He's set up a whole "cat room" on his back deck for my client's cat, complete with bed, treats, food bowls etc. Obviously the cat keeps him company during the day as he doesn't work or do much of anything.

He is now harrasing me when I come to take the cat home, claiming that I'm taking the cat "too early" and being cruel to the cat. He's a belligerent little man who apparently is never without a glass of booze and ice in his hand.

I have to face this *sshole 4 more times this week. Did not need this on top of the stress of my dad coming back and me leaving for vacation. Good thing I always do most of my vacation prep way ahead of time.

I will not eat in the evenings to relieve the stress and anxiety of all this. Being bloated for my vacation is not in the plan. 4 more times. I can do this.

Great day all!

Dagmar
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #9  

Yeesh, Dagmar, I don't know what to offer you to deal with the guy. Obviously the cat's owner knows the situation? What do they have to say about him?

The Switch was a cute movie! We saw that a couple weekends ago. Yes, we DO see a lot of movies, but oftentimes there isn't much else to do other than sitting around the house. It's just to darn hot do much during the day here.

I got a weird one today--or rather DH did. He seems to get every email scam that's out there but today's was in the actual mail (no return address of course). They claim that a long-lost relative of his was killed in an airplane crash in 2001 and that there is a bank account with $45.5 million dollars in it that we can "have" if we cover the cost of wiring it, etc, etc. I swear, I cannot even fathom the stupidity of people who fall for such things.

I had my mammogram this morning. 8:15 appointment "please arrive by 8 am for paperwork." I arrived at 7:55. Paperwork took less than 2 minutes. I took reading material to keep me company in the waiting room. Total wait? 2 minutes. Taken into exam room. Mammo done. Out of the office at 8:10 AM! Five full minutes before my appointment time! Mind you, I used to travel 1/2 an hour to the hospital I used to work at, check in, wait 15 minutes, get registered, wait another 15-20 minutes, get called in to change into gown, wait another 10-15 minutes, go for mammo and then be told to wait until the doc does a preliminary check before I can change back into street clothes, finally be released to drive back another 1/2 hour. All in all a solid 2 hours wasted! This was such a nice change of pace! I'll be going back there again for sure!

Last edited by alinnell; 09-07-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Dagmar - that is a bad situation with the cat guy. Be careful, and don't be afraid to call the police if it gets ugly.

Michele - enjoy DD's driving lesson!

Allison - glad the mammo appointment went quickly. That is cool!

And, I am still not cool... It is 87 in my bedroom, 84 downstairs, and it is going to just get hotter today... 87 outside, going to get up to 91... just got a call while typing this post that the AC tech is on the way. I really hope they can do something today. This is killer for me and I don't have asthma, I know DH is miserable. I'm pretty sure that the control panel for my zoned system has gone bad. All of a sudden the compressor wouldn't turn on and the fan wouldn't turn off.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #11  

Does anyone know anything about Lillybelle? She was supposed to have a liver transplant and hasn't posted in 6 months.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #12  

Talking Too absurd

So I went to get the cat from the "cat Taj Mahal" today, prepared to argue with the guy (and given permission by my client to threaten him with locking up the cat for the rest of the week).

He was on the deck, with his head in the sliding doors, having an argument with his mom. The cat was eating from a plate just behind him.

I literally snuck up behind him, grabbed the cat, tucked it under my arm, snuck back down the stairs, and ran! My heart was pounding in my chest but he didn't even notice what had happened.

Once I got the cat home I had a good long fit of the giggles . Then I fed, medicated and settled the cat down and left. I'm hoping I can continue to do this for the rest of the week - just have to time it right.

Dagmar
Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Lillybelle? She was supposed to have a liver transplant and hasn't posted in 6 months.
I was thinking about her as well and was going to post last week. I sure hope she is doing okay. Lily are you out there?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #14  

Lily said she'd check in now and again. But we're all worried for her.

Boy did I have an interesting afternoon (not). I had to take Ringo the new kitten to the vet along with Buddy my 16 year old Lab. Ringo cried the entire trip (1/2 hour drive) and Buddy was beside himself with fear which is his usual state when in the car. Getting Buddy in and out was a chore as he just can't do it himself and he's basically 80 pounds of dead weight. I was afraid Ringo would hate me forever for taking him to the vet (last time DS went too). But after he was weighed (4 pounds--doubled in a month!) and had his temperature taken, we had to sit and wait for the vet to come in. Ringo was shaking a little so I simply put him on my lap and petted him. Now if I do that at home, he'll tolerate one or two pets and then take off for adventure. Not this time. He settled in and was soon purring and was very content to sit there for the 15 minutes we had to wait. He never stopped purring! I think he finally accepts me! Yay!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #15  

Allison Cats are very fickle critters. My two tend to trade personalities when taken to the vet - Mudpie becomes very quiet and shy and Misha turns into a growling, snarling he-man. Misha also is afraid of DH when Dh comes in the back door but adores him when he comes in the front.

They are definitely nothing like dogs when it comes to loyalty and devotion.

Dagmar