Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy I didn't "qualify" for WLS

Well, I heard back from the obesity clinic and apparently I don't qualify for bariatric surgery. I live in Iowa so my options are extremely limited.

I am supposed to have a BMI greater than 35 for at least 3 years in conjunction with at least two of the following:
· Hypertension
· Diabetes Mellitus
· Restrictive Lung Disease
· Osteoarthritis
· Obstructive sleep apnea
· Cardiovascular disease

Well, I have a BMI of 34.7 - not quite 35, "pre-diabetes" (tested at 100 in uly, 2010). I am pretty sure I do have Osteoarthritis in my knee and lower back but it has not been officially diagnosed by a physician. I am right on the edge of qualifying for it.

I am trying to prevent future issues that correlate with obesity and am a little frustrated that I am so close but not quite "heavy" enough.
When I exercise, my joints (knees, hips, and back) hurt - a lot. I still push through but sometimes it does stop me. Diabetes runs rampantly through my family. (7 close relatives!) I am not diabetec....yet but I am close to it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am frustrated.
FitVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #2  

Your stats show a weight loss. Keep on eating right and exercising and you will be healthy. Surgery is not a cure all.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

ok honey. it's time for a heart-to-heart. The clinic is only following all the guidelines - the NIH, ASMBS, all the other surgery associations, the American Association of Endocrinologists, and a whole lot of others. and the insurers follow all these guidelines as well. I checked for clinical trials [www.clinicaltrials.gov] and if you were actually diabetic - with uncontrolled diabetes - you could probably go into a trial. but as someone who's prediabetic, there's really nothing out there.

I know you're afraid - i can hear it even here in NJ!!!! you've seen first hand what diabetes can do. and you have an opportunity. did you know that even a 10 lb weight loss will help your prediabetes?

Susan's comments are not exactly appropriate for this particular forum [see Jennifer's sticky on the thread list], but she raises a good point - you HAVE shown a good weight loss, so you are indeed doing something right.

about the joint pain - have you discussed this with your doc? some docs suggest taking something like ibuprofen or naprosyn [advil or motrin] before exercising. it sure helps me! OR you can change your exercise routine. or vary it so that you're not in quite so much pain.

OTOH, i must confess that i know a couple of people who've qualified only because they put rolls of quarters in their pockets. i don't recommend this. but it does happen.

other people have gone out of the country for their surgery, with good results. HOWEVER, they've been self-pay, and it's extremely difficult to find a surgeon near where you live to provide you with appropriate aftercare - very few surgeons are willing to deal with someone else's surgery.

please don't beat yourself up over this. it's a disappointment - of course - but the surgery will always be there...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote