Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #1  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Default any other 30-somethings with physical body issues?

I didn't put this in dieting with obstacles because I wanted to see if any of you in my age category (I'm 33) have any physical body issues too.

besides my mental issues (which I am home on disability for) I have neuropathy and seizures, scoliosis, and plantar faciitis (I know I didn't spell that one right). But my body itself is in BAD shape, physically. My main goal is to be able to get my body back to its old self as much as possible. I'd love to be able to run and jump again, and to be able to stand for more than 15 minutes without being in pain, and to walk for more than 45 minutes.

Does anyone else have physical body issues while in your thirties? I specifically wanted to hear from us 30-somethings, because being younger you don't meet a lot of people with physical issues. So I wanted to see if you all had any.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm only 27, but since you're looking for younger folks, I'm gonna chime in here.

I have arthritis in both knees, and bursitis in one knee, from a congenital defect that caused my knee caps to essentially rub off all of their cartilege. I've had the original problem resolved surgically in both knees (once I managed to convince the doctors that there was something wrong other than my weight), but the cartilege is gone for good. Limits my running to a few days a week, on a treadmill, because otherwise I hurt for days.

I also have a shoulder injury that is becoming a chronic pain problem. I flew off an elliptical into a doorframe and severely injured my shoulder blade and the muscles surrounding it, and also broke a bone in my neck. This turned into a chronic muscle injury where I essentially have painful knots in my muscle encapsulated by scar tissue, so they never go away. It's an ongoing process to try to resolve it...right now I'm trying deep tissue massage to break down the scar tissue, but have done every possible pain management technique out there (chiro, acupuncture, injections of steroids into the knots, physical therapy, etc).

It's a lot for 27, but I work around it however I can.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a hypothyroid condition which makes it difficult to lose weight and also makes me feel tired, cold and depressed. I injured my back so badly in January that I was completely disabled and unable to walk. The first day I went to the gym I walked slowly on the treadmill holding onto the handrails and maybe doing 2 MPH. Now my walking speed is up to 3.6MPH with no hanging on. My hips are out of joint and not that flexible. My right hip especially gives me problems. It's a catch 22 because with my back and hips I know I need to lose weight...but to lose weight I need to be able to move more! I also have a damaged left knee and severe bunions in both feet plus my right foot doesn't bend right because I broke it when I was 15. It's hard to find shoes that fit, and my feet hurt most of the time. My extra weight has caused my arches to fall, also.

It's definitely a challenge when your body isn't working with you.

Oh- I'm 37.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 08-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I've dealt with plantar fasciitis (I think we both spelled it right ) off and on since college - I'm now 32. I lived overseas for about 4 years, and when it acted up over there it was MISERABLE, because walking was pretty much the only way to get around. Plus, it really put a damper on my exercise.

I can't speak to your other physical problems, but you have my sympathy! For my feet, I have to be super choosy about shoes, and I could not survive if it weren't for my Spenco inserts. They are lifesavers.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #5  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I'm only 27, but since you're looking for younger folks, I'm gonna chime in here.

I have arthritis in both knees, and bursitis in one knee, from a congenital defect that caused my knee caps to essentially rub off all of their cartilege. I've had the original problem resolved surgically in both knees (once I managed to convince the doctors that there was something wrong other than my weight), but the cartilege is gone for good. Limits my running to a few days a week, on a treadmill, because otherwise I hurt for days.

I also have a shoulder injury that is becoming a chronic pain problem. I flew off an elliptical into a doorframe and severely injured my shoulder blade and the muscles surrounding it, and also broke a bone in my neck. This turned into a chronic muscle injury where I essentially have painful knots in my muscle encapsulated by scar tissue, so they never go away. It's an ongoing process to try to resolve it...right now I'm trying deep tissue massage to break down the scar tissue, but have done every possible pain management technique out there (chiro, acupuncture, injections of steroids into the knots, physical therapy, etc).

It's a lot for 27, but I work around it however I can.
I knew a girl once whose cartiledge was gone as well. I imagine that can be a real pain. Actually it makes me feel lucky, because I don't think I'm in as much pain as you all are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I have a hypothyroid condition which makes it difficult to lose weight and also makes me feel tired, cold and depressed. I injured my back so badly in January that I was completely disabled and unable to walk. The first day I went to the gym I walked slowly on the treadmill holding onto the handrails and maybe doing 2 MPH. Now my walking speed is up to 3.6MPH with no hanging on. My hips are out of joint and not that flexible. My right hip especially gives me problems. It's a catch 22 because with my back and hips I know I need to lose weight...but to lose weight I need to be able to move more! I also have a damaged left knee and severe bunions in both feet plus my right foot doesn't bend right because I broke it when I was 15. It's hard to find shoes that fit, and my feet hurt most of the time. My extra weight has caused my arches to fall, also.

It's definitely a challenge when your body isn't working with you.

Oh- I'm 37.
Thanks for sharing. You've done a lot, haven't you? I know you're still working hard every day. I'm glad you shared all that with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
I've dealt with plantar fasciitis (I think we both spelled it right ) off and on since college - I'm now 32. I lived overseas for about 4 years, and when it acted up over there it was MISERABLE, because walking was pretty much the only way to get around. Plus, it really put a damper on my exercise.

I can't speak to your other physical problems, but you have my sympathy! For my feet, I have to be super choosy about shoes, and I could not survive if it weren't for my Spenco inserts. They are lifesavers.
By the way, I'm from Atlanta. I was born there and lived there until 2007.

Yeah, I have those special inserts that cost an arm and a leg to get, the ones that they put a mold on your feet and mold them specifically to your feet. They've been really helpful to me as well.

To all three of you thanks. Even though I don't want any of you to go through any pain its good to have someone to relate to. I know my issues aren't that big of a deal but on my bad days (and these days its my neuropathy that gives me the most issues) it'd be nice to have someone to talk to that won't say "you're making that up, you're too young to have those issues" Although thank GOODNESS my roommate (he's also my ex boyfriend, but we are still great friends) never, ever says anything bad to me like that (as if I'd tolerate it!!) and is always supportive.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #6  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I can sympathize... I've got a little bit going on.
I have arthritis of the spine, degenerative disk disease, and have one disk that is herniated. I have a large bone spur in my shoulder that makes it difficult to even brush my own hair (when I move it cuts into my rotator cuff). I have both gastric and duodenal ulcers... also chronic migraine and fibromyalgia, and a few other little things.
I agree with EagleRiverDee... It definitely is a challenge, but for too long I've used my illnesses as an excuse to let myself get into this shape. I've started using a Gazelle, and although I can't stay on it for long, it's a start, and doesn't seem to aggravate anything too badly.

Oh, yeah... I also have lupus... and I'm 35.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Started at 380lbs.

Height: 6'4"

I have degenerative disc disease in my spine. They tried to send me to a pain clinic, but I don't want to get on opiates again and for the rest of my life. Even now, the disc between L4-L5 is doing it's very best to crush my spinal column. Since, I've lost the weight I have, it has only hurt me twice in the last 3 months and that is a miracle.
ewimsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Ah, I hated taking drugs for my back. Most of them didn't work AT ALL, and the only one that did (Vicodin) made me hallucinate. Ick. What finally helped me was getting acupuncture and stretching every day and doing back strengthening yoga poses like the plank and bird-dogs. I don't take any pain meds anymore, not even anti-inflammatories.

I don't understand why some people will be like, "You're too young." Sometimes poo-poo happens, regardless of our ages.

It's great to have a supportive place like 3FC though!

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 08-12-2010 at 01:37 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have days where opiates are a necessity (particularly after I do a treatment aimed at breaking down the knots). I hate them, though, so I take them very rarely. First off, they result in an automatic scale bounce of 5 lbs. Second, about every 5 or 6 times I take them, with no warning, I get violently ill. So I avoid them as much as possible.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #10  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I broke my left ankle (fibula) in a bad fall in 2002. I had a terrible doctor and I did more damage to it and it didn't heal correctly. Since then I've had 2 surgeries on it and today I am in some excruciating pain. I don't take anything for it but ibueprofen when it is like this. I wear a brace to workout in all the time.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #11  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

33 and a half...

I've got tinnitus in my right ear, which makes me want to cry on the days when there's a lot of traffic nearby... What feels like a pinched nerve on the right side of my neck where it meets my shoulder (my doctor said it was a crick in my neck. yeah right!) that drives me nuts because it goes numb without warning... Extensor tendonitis in my right thumb which I absolutely DESPISE because I'm a writer who also happens to be right-handed and the only way to relieve the stiffness is to grab my thumb and pull then twist it... Patellar-femoral syndrome in my right knee that really ticks me off because when it REALLY acts up I can barely get around my house let alone go for a walk which is my favorite form of exercise... And a heel spur in my left foot which makes me have to wear proper shoes more than I want to.

It's summer for cripes' sake! I should be allowed to wear sandals and flip flops instead of canvas shoes and sneakers!
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #12  

My feet have been hurting for almost 2 years now. Plantar fasciitis and tendonitis. Xrays came back fine, going for an MRI now. I hate not being able to enjoy physical activity without being in pain. I feel like I'm too young for this.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #13  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

I have 2 blood disorders. Polyclonal b-cell lymphocytosis and polycythemia. The first one mimics leukemia. I am tired all the time. I could sleep all day and night. My body aches all the time and my skin hurts to just touch it. I have massive migraines cause my blood is too thick because of the polycythemia.

I also have a protruding disc L5S1 and digenerative Disc disease.

I force myself to walk 3 miles a day 5 days a week.

I had a total hysterectomy at 24 due to polycystic ovarian disease. I am insulin resistant.

I am 35
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #14  
Manifesting

S/C/G: 307/286/170

Height: 5'7"

I broke my ankle 4 months ago and am still dealing with ramifications and limitations from that. I'm also experiencing GI bleeding and they found a spot on my lung, so I'm going through lots of medical testing.
Curiously Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #15  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I have chronic back pain from a few injuries + carrying around way too much weight for way too long.

The pain is actually the reason I lost the weight. I am still in pain most moments of most days, but it is a pain level I can manage (largely) without medication. Even with medication at my highest weight I just couldnt do normal daily life functioning well at all. Today I still cant do a lot, but I focus on what I can do - and work hard not to find new solutions to my pain and am careful not to cause further injury.

It has been really hard to lose the weight with the pain, but losing the weight has improved my quality of life by a zillion%.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote