Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default Losing Weight In College

I'm entering my third year of university this fall, at an amazing university, and once again I'm living off campus...and once again I'm entering the fall semester overweight and unhappy with my weight.

But there must be a way ... so I could use the advice...how do you ladies stay on a tight budget while eating healthy especially when it feels like there aren't enough hours in the day?
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #2  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Yes someone please do tell!
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/325/190

Height: 5'9"

You just have to force yourself to work out. I make it a task like brushing my teeth and washing my face. I don't necessarily like doing those things before I go to class, but I always do. It's definitely hard though. But I find if I don't make it automatic, I won't do it. There's always something else I could be doing. That's just the way college life is.
alisonlerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Fast Food!

Oooh, I love this question! I remember when I was going through college, I actually managed to lose some weight despite eating on my university's meal plan-always pick the salad bar and veggies and lean proteins are number 1! And campus walking is fantastic, just make the choice (when possible) to take the little extra time to walk wherever you need to go.

But more than that, now I am a freelance costume designer in the film business in LA, and it is so crazy! For the first few years, I let my crazy schedule (12 hour days, usually 6 days a week, sometimes overnight, sometimes very early in the morning, etc) dictate my food, and it wreaked havoc on my weight. It was just so much easier to grab fast food on the way home, since the last thing in the world I want to do after working 12 hours is cook, and that's why I got myself all the way up to 306!

For me, it is very much a key to make it easy on yourself. I buy lots of fruit (always shop the sales!), and I always have salad ingredients on hand to throw something together. For super busy days, I reccommend frozen meals. I don't like to eat frozen too often, so pick ones that can be quite health and nutrition conscious (always read the boxes!). Stock up on things that you can grab and go-nutrition bars and a piece of fruit, stringcheese and some crackers, that kind of thing. I know it can be very hard when your mind is in a million different places, but don't let that be an excuse for crazy eating! It creeps up on you quickly, at least it did me. Find cheap ingredients and make them staples-eggs, carrots, greens are usually quite cheap. Check out farmer's markets for deals. What is your housing situation like, do you have the option of growing a little potted garden or anything like that?

Anyway, I hope that helped a little bit, it can be hard but you can definitely do it! Keep your eye on the prize, keep filling your body with delicious, nutritious things and you will get there. BONUS: eating the good stuff will help you stay awake, alert, and focused when you hit the books!

P.S. If you need recipes for quick, nutritious, cheap food, please feel free to ask! I am a self-proclaimed healthy chef, and I've spent a lot of time developing ideas for yummy, healthy food (though I don't always take my own advice...)

Last edited by swtbttrfly23; 08-04-2010 at 01:41 PM.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #5  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I have a rule that if I cannot have one portion of something, I'm not allowed to have it. I've spent thousands of dollars on foods that I binged on in one sitting. I don't buy any low cal snack foods anymore because I gobble them all down late at night. I have saved a ton of money by not ordering pizza, buying ice cream, etc, etc.

As for time, I hate cooking so pretty much I chop a bunch of veggies (not even well chopped, just cut up a bit) and stir fry them or make a salad. I open a can of tuna or heat up some fish and, voila, dinner is served in 15 minutes. I don't eat a lot of variety b/c I don't have a car and I have to carry the food home from the store (good exercise).

I know my eating is really boring & I but it's fast, cheap and fills me up. And late at night, I don't have the urge to binge on tomatoes and skim milk. So I save money by not overeating.

As for exercise, I have been getting up at 6 am and running before work. It's the only way I am guaranteed to exercise. Too often, I am too tired and depressed after work to run.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I second a lot of what others have said. I'm currently in college as well so I know how hard it is to stay on track with all the temptation and not much money! Like others have mentioned, walk whenever you can! If there's a bus system on your campus, try to avoid using it. I also recommend packing lunches/dinners when you have to be on campus through meals. It's so easy to get tempted by the food courts and cafeterias. If you plan ahead and have meals with you you're a lot less likely to make a bad choice. The frozen meals thing is good too, if you like them. I sort of live off of Smart Ones lol.

Also take advantage of your campus' rec center or gym (if there is one). Mine is free as a student. Plus, it gives me something to do if I have a few hours in between 2 classes.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

I returned to college a few years ago and we had to learn how to stretch our budget. I now use coupons ALL the time. I am able to purchase H&B products like shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, mouthwash, deodorant, and call of my household cleaning supplies for free or pennies thanks to sales and coupons combined. I can then use the savings from those products on healthy foods. There are some foods that frequently have coupons too...like yogurt, then I wait for a sale and stock up.

Also do you have any stores that match competitor prices? On a national level, Walmart does. You can get the best prices on produce (or what ever it is you are buying) by bringing in the competitors sales ads and Walmart will then match the price. I usually shop at a local grocery that doubles coupons, but produce is rarely on sale so I bring all of the sales ads to Walmart. That way I can get the sales price on strawberries from one store, the sales price on green peppers from another, and the sales price on grapes from another all at Walmart.

Another tip is to watch sales ads for drugstore free items. Atleast a few times a month that you can get buy an item at a drugstore and then they will give a coupon for the purchase price to use on your next order.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote