Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Arrow tips for a new hiker?

I live in the Houston, TX area and just ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Within-M...0528694&sr=8-1

I love being outdoors but can't bike anymore because of my back. I figure hiking in the Houston area would be reasonably safe for a beginner because it is so populated.
Can any hikers in 3FC land give me some tips on what to carry with me?
So far I can think of:
water
snacks
small first aid kit
sunblock and bug spray
cell phone and ID

I know I'm not thinking of enough things.
I don't visualize myself trekking away for 8 hours, lol. I think hiking for 2-3 hours would be a good start for me, as I'm in pretty decent shape.
Thanks guys!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #2  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Compass, knife, waterproof matches, flashlight, and dress in layers. If you're going to be out in the wilds, I'd also suggest bringing a hiking partner.

I'm not sure what the Houston area is like, though--I'm used to hiking in the PNW!
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #3  

great tips! I also found a neat website for beginning hikers. Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tissue

Actually we generally only take water, a couple snacks, plastic baggies (for trash) and tissues.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

This book series is great, I use it for my region. I find invaluable:

a camelbak (I have a womens style one that holds 3 liters of water and is very comfy)

a small snack (though I usually eat something to refuel once I head back to my car)

bandaids (I fell down a hill a few weeks back, I was glad for all the different sizes, AND I got blisters the same day!)

my cell/mp3 player/id/$20 (you never know!)

my garmin 305 (because I like to track everything)

tissues (because my nose runs when my hr gets up)

sunscreen and bug spray & a hat are a must!

I hike by myself, and I do 2-3 hour stints too so I found that I can generally put off refueling till I get to the car but I bring a packet of nuts with me just in case. I won't hike without my camelbak however. It carries all my stuff because it is an awesome backpack, and I fill the bladder with ice and water. The straw is awesome because you don't have to stop to drink! I've found that I get cell reception in all but one of the parks in the area so far, so I feel pretty safe, and the trails generally have mountain bikers and other friendly people around on them.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #6  

Tissue--good idea, along with a bag for trash!
The Houston area is really flat, but lots of pretty scenery. I can't imagine my DH doing this with me, but I think I'll be ok starting with some hikes on my own. The running joke in Houston is that if you go in a straight line for more than 5 miles, you'll hit a freeway
Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hiking, in Houston, in August...

You're carrying my admiration. I had to cancel my weekly hike last week here due to heat and humidity. I've only been to Houston once and those two adjectives definitely described it.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #8  

I use to be a heat weenie, but I like it now. I drink water like a camel and use sunblock religiously. I wouldn't try it in the heat of the day though.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

My favorite thing to bring hiking is clean, non-sweaty clothes for the drive home! I have become an expert at changing all my clothes in the parking lot/car without flashing anyone.

And I always bring a map of my hike.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Definitely bring a change of shoes for the ride home. So nice, especially if you want to get out of the car to go someplace to eat or stop for a bathroom break. Also, I'll second the tips about bringing tissues and plastic bags for trash, but I'll go into a little bit more detail because I just discovered this yesterday. Bring tissues for your nose (such a relief!) but also for potty breaks. Put a couple in a ziptop snack size bag and place in your shorts pocket (I have a pair that has a zipper on the side). Then when you wipe you can put the soiled tissue in the plastic bag back in your shorts and even use it again if you need to. Gross, sorry, but helpful on longer hikes. Also I love my lip balm while I'm hiking.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never change because I rather take a shower prior to changing into clean clothes although I generally take a second pair of shoes.

Also, don't be afraid to pee outdoors. I've peed in so many places, I have lost count

We went hiking on Saturday and I actually found myself dehydrated because I miscalculated how hot it was. I generally don't drink a lot while hiking but my entire body started cramping and it made for a painful end of hike because I couldn't catch up until later.

Maps are also good as is a compass.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Not sure what hiking is like in Texas, but out here in British Columbia it's a pretty big deal and we've got some fairly hardcore rules.

Animal safety course (or at least read a book on local animals), bear spray, tell your mom when/where you are going even if you have a partner, know exactly when sun sets and plan to be back long before it, let the parks staff know what route you are taking, etc.

Out here you can start out in a tank top/shorts and end up at the top in a snow blizzard, so safety is always #1

*Oh and another biggie... make sure your cell phone company has your updated contact information including your emergency contact. If you do get lost and they can only triangulate your phone which is usually in a 1km radius (if they are unable to hear you from poor reception or you can't give them good enough directions), this information is important to contact your family...

Last edited by sacha; 08-02-2010 at 07:43 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #13  

good tips--thanks guys! I went for a short hike this weekend and really enjoyed it. Maybe soon the 105 degree weather will end, lol!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #14  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Depending on the hike location http://tennessee.sierraclub.org/broo...essentials.htm the ten essentials. Minimally I like to have a whistle, tissues,and plenty of water. Flip flops to change into X2. Have fun hiking is a great way to get out and move your body.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #15  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

Stretch! Stretch before and afterwards. Rest when needed, listen to your body. Take pictures and post them for us to see your lovely views!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote