Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Can some one explain this to me???

So I have been tracking my calories on livestrong.com and I entered all my info and it has given me a calorie base as of 1558 a day so I have done my exercise today and I entered it in and it says I burned 806 calories so it says that with the foods that I entered today so far that I have consumed 397 calories and it is saying I need to still consume 1967 calories for today. so I dont understand the thought of this . I did the math if i take the 1967 that it says I need to consume and subtract the 806 i burned and that would make it 1161 and then if I add the 397 cal I have consumed I would be back at 1558. But I dont see how I am gonna lose weight if I am eating all these calories. I can barley make it to 1200 to 1300 a day. I hope that I can understand how this works it is so frustrating here.

Last edited by Butterfly50; 07-27-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #2  
Alli

S/C/G: 230/195/165

Height: 5'6

Hi Bonnie,

On these calorie tracking websites, sometimes they tell you to "eat back" your calories you burned during exercise. This is a debate on the message boards, and there really isn't a consensus on what you should do. I personally think that you can eat back SOME of your burned calories, especially if you are already extremely calorie restricting (e.g., 1200-1300 cals)--and also especially if you are finding yourself weak/low in energy throughout the day with that few calories while also working out. On the other hand, I often will not 'eat back' my calories, as it seems that just reduces the overall deficit in calories for the day.

So, I'd say do some trial-and-error and see what works best for you weight loss wise and body feeling wise. I think it's really important to pay attention to how your body feels, because you want to feel OK on your diet--rather than tortured. Otherwise, it won't last for the long haul.

Hope that helps a bit.
abcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

397 calories is too low even for a child.

You are 292 lbs, for maintenance you'd need to eat 2900 calories a day (old calculation of 100 calories for every 10 lbs you weigh). To lose weight I recommend people get down to 75% of what their body needs. For you that'd be 2200 calories. Now 1600 calories is 600 less than that, so you are already making a major deficit- so then to burn 800 calories (which the larger you are the more calories you burn- as I've lost weight I've seen my numbers go down and it totally sucks!), means that if you ate 1600 calories a day you would be giving your body only 800 max. At the 400 you have consumed today your body is in the negative (2900 and 800 burned=3700 calories burned) -3300 calories. Which is about a pound- but not all of that will be fat. In fact when you do weight loss the wrong way you lose very little fat.

The reason you shouldn't eat so little is because your body will shut down, it will lower it's metabolism, it will turn to your muscles because you are starving itself. Ever notice how a lot of anorexic people are squishy? It's because their body is "eating" the muscles because those burn calories. If you do not get the proper nutrition you will lose muscle mass and possibly some bone and other vitamins and nutrients your body has. This will hurt you more than just making you tired in the long run.

I suggest you portion out meals during the day and make sure you at least hit 1600 calories a day, never less. I know it sounds contradictory, but eating too little hurts your weight loss. I personally in your shoes would start out eating 1800 calories a day and then days I feel more hungry (and it's actual hunger) supplement with more fruits and veggies.

Also if you continue this way eventually you'll binge because you are starving. It may even cause you to give up.

Try something like this:

Breakfast 300 cal
Snack 250 cal
Lunch 500 cal
Snack 250 cal
Dinner 500 cal

Maybe on a day you have a hard workout add another 200 calories after dinner with a good protein snack.

Just as an example my old trainer told me he had a client that was 330 lbs. Big his whole life- on a diet his whole life, etc. After weeks of working with him he asked him what his diet was like. He ended up finding out the man was consuming 1200 calories a day. He made him change up to 2500 calories a day, with good foods, lean meats, complex carbs, veggies, and fruit, and the weight literally started melting off of him. He told my trainer he always thought to lose weight you had to eat very little but now sees that's not the case. They would change up calories every 10-20 lbs.

Last edited by beerab; 07-27-2010 at 03:58 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

For those of us at the higher end of the scale, the amounts the calculators say we've burned is notorious WRONG. Some days I don't even put my exercise into MyScale (another web app like FitDay), because it throws off the totals.

I know that if I eat 1400-1800 calories/day, at my current weight level, consistently, I will lose about 1-2 pounds a week. Exercise makes me feel better, makes me stronger, and more flexible. But I can't add the "calories burned" into my food total and then eat more to "make it up." I won't lose weight that way.

Calories in (what I eat) and calories out (what I expend in living and exercise) can't be connected like that. I'm LOOKING for a deficit! That's how I lose.

My advice is to ignore those fitness calories. Continue to use Fitday to track your calories, and even to track your exercise if you want. But don't use your exercise as a license to eat more than you need.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I've started to eat according to how I feel, with regards to exercise. I eat on plan within a range of 1200-1500 calories, but sometimes I exercise too much for this to be healthy. Today, for instance, I took a 26 mile bike ride and lifted weights. I've been lethargic ever since, so I figure I need more food. That food comes in the form of fruit and veggies and protein...not chips. LOL! It seems to work for me.

But I rarely eat back my calories. There are times I exercise hard and never feel the effects on my body with regard to calories/fuel. Then there are times I know I'm not eating enough.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #6  
Bonnie

Thanks Everyone that is what I didnt understand why it was wanting me to eat back my calories That I was working off. So if I eat 1600 or 1800 calories then how does that affect if I workout and burn 800 calories a day. I dont want to get back where I was before I curently weigh285 pounds. It jest seems confusing to meeeeee.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

You know it's all trial and error. But the one thing I know for sure is you should never dip below 1200 calories per day. If you fill your meals with nutritionally dense foods and eat when you are hungry (really hungry) and work out and take care of your body (I suggest starting on a multivitamin if you are doing a lot of working out) then you will lose weight. You might find over time you will tweak your workouts or your eating, but eventually you'll figure it out.

Then you'll plateau and start over! GAH! lol.

I went through many trial and error phases before I found something that works for me.

Last edited by beerab; 07-27-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I personally would think 1600-1800 should work fine for you based on my experience. Try it for a month and see what the scale says.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
I personally would think 1600-1800 should work fine for you based on my experience. Try it for a month and see what the scale says.
I will agree and especially with the part of giving it a month to see how it is working for you.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I say watch your calories carefully and amuse yourself with your calories burned. I keep them completely separate. I hate that those calculators make you think you need to eat back the calories burned. It just makes no sense.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #11  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat 1200-1300 calories a day. I WATP 5-6 miles monday -friday and I have lost almost 80lbs since Jan this year.
I never figure my excercise into what I eat....
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #12  
Bonnie

I want to Thank everyone who has helped me threw this I am gonna sit down and pick a number of what I think Would be good for me and then I am gonna do my exercise and see where that leads me all I can do is fall on my face right. Thanks Everyone...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

YW! Remember too say you pick 1600 calories and find yourself literally starving all the time- then your body is telling you it really does need more food- so try upping them a bit more by adding an extra snack or something. When I get too low I become ravenous.