Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Tools for weight loss

I'm just wondering what other things you do- other than the obvious eat right and exercise- to help take and keep the weight off.

I've decided to start up with meditation again. Ten minutes a day (two 5-minute sessions) to cleanse my body of all the negative feelings I've had during the course of my life, like the time Jeff DeVeer told me I looked like a whale in 6th grade and my family constantly telling me I was fat.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #2  
WorkingOut!

S/C/G: 217/180/145

Height: 5'5"

I am working on training for a 1/2 marathon, and plan on adding yoga into my practices to help keep me centered, grounded and focused on the good things that I am accomplishing.
diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/235/180

Height: 5'6"

I try to drink a gallon a day of water. It keeps me feeling fuller and helps me to "flush out" the toxins and weight. Of course it's easier at work.
FrenchGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think that viewing my exercise time as "my" time has helped. I look forward to it and when I run I do some praying as well.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

What has really helped me is that it's not a diet and exercise plan. It's my lifestyle and I have choices to make. Yes I CAN choose to eat ice cream and pizza all day, but I also choose NOT to. Having it be my choice makes takes away the feelings of deprivation.

Also, regarding the negative thoughts, feelings and fears. I write them all down, then roll the paper up and burn it. Seeing all those things go up in flames is very theraputic to me.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #6  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

I'm looking at the time and effort as an investment in my future well being. I like how I'm feeling now and want it to continue. Last week when I was so sick (dang vaccinations $#@%^@$^#$!), I HATED that I didn't have energy to workout and I REALLY missed it.

And my workout time is MY TIME. I get to listen to the music I want and no one is asking me to make dinner or get them something or do something for them. My family knows not to interupt...our main source of income depends on me being in shape....

Last edited by AFChick; 07-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #7  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I also view my running time in the morning as 'my' time and I don't let ANYONE or ANYTHING have a piece of it. I am completely and totally selfish with it.

And for spirit: I bought a new study Bible in the NEW King James Version and its so much easier to read and understand than the Standard KJV.... its like reading a story. And it makes me feel good knowing I spent a little time with Jesus that day.... for some reason, it just brings a smile to my face.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #8  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Mollz, I have started a sort of meditation of my own. The funny thing is that it's while I'm walking my (remaining) (very elderly) dog. We go out super early in the morning and it's totally quiet and beautiful. She walks SOOO SLOWLY that I have started reciting positive or calming mantras in my head, one for every house we eventually pass. It is a lovely and different sort of mental free time than what I get when I run; during runs my thinking tends to be more active like organizing my work day in my head, prioritizing chores, etc. I think this "meditation" is making me a more positive person at work too!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

I have started a Gratitude Journal, where every night, I write down one or two things that I'm thankful for. I got the idea from a dear friend, who gave me on as a gift one Christmas. I try to jot down just a couple of things that I was thankful for that day, or some realizations that I'm thankful for. Some days it's practical: "I'm thankful for the umbrella that I had today, since it was pouring rain and I was having a good hair day and wearing my designer heels." Or "I'm thankful that I didn't open my mouth and say something nasty to the cranky store clerk, even though she was being super rude." But it also helps me count my blessings. "I'm thankful that I have strong legs that allow me to exercise and get healthy, since today I took care of a parapalegic who would love the chance to be able to run 2 miles." Or "I'm so grateful that I can be home at night to tuck my children into bed and say prayers with them. It's some quiet time at the end of the day and I know that they will remember it when they are older."

Anyway, that seems to help me center a bit, it's like prayer (which I also do), and it helps me appreciate that there are lots of other things to enjoy and appreciate while I work on my health.

Smile, we are lucky to be healthy enough to exercise and get some good endorphins flowing!!!

R
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #10  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningToSmile View Post
I have started a Gratitude Journal, where every night, I write down one or two things that I'm thankful for. I got the idea from a dear friend, who gave me on as a gift one Christmas. I try to jot down just a couple of things that I was thankful for that day, or some realizations that I'm thankful for. Some days it's practical: "I'm thankful for the umbrella that I had today, since it was pouring rain and I was having a good hair day and wearing my designer heels." Or "I'm thankful that I didn't open my mouth and say something nasty to the cranky store clerk, even though she was being super rude." But it also helps me count my blessings. "I'm thankful that I have strong legs that allow me to exercise and get healthy, since today I took care of a parapalegic who would love the chance to be able to run 2 miles." Or "I'm so grateful that I can be home at night to tuck my children into bed and say prayers with them. It's some quiet time at the end of the day and I know that they will remember it when they are older."

Anyway, that seems to help me center a bit, it's like prayer (which I also do), and it helps me appreciate that there are lots of other things to enjoy and appreciate while I work on my health.

Smile, we are lucky to be healthy enough to exercise and get some good endorphins flowing!!!

R
I really like this idea.

I am doing Beck and have a notebook sized calendar that I use to keep up with the exercises and calories and all... I bet it would be a good practice to use a couple of the lines as a 'gratitude entry'...

What a beautiful thought!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
I think that viewing my exercise time as "my" time has helped. I look forward to it and when I run I do some praying as well.
I do this same thing! I put my headphones on and zone out to music while I jog or whatever... it is sort of my meditative time to just focus on myself.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote