Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/221/170

Height: 5'4"

Talking Hellooooo again...Back Again...

Hi again!
Back to the forum in an attempt to find some motivation and perhaps another 40 yr old trying to lose 50 pounds! Having a buddy always seems to work better, for me at least.

Back in Jan I turned 40. After losing weight, only to have it find me again...I thought this time for sure! Well I started at 220, got to 205 and as of this morning, June 29th 219lbs. I was going to a bariatric dr, taking my phentermine like a good lil girl and watching my carbs (-60/day). For months I stayed at 205...MONTHS. Which made me wonder, why am I taking this RX and keeping a detailed journal of my food intake if all I am going to do is sit at 205?

I stopped taking my RX, and I don't go wild carb crazy of anything. The weight has crept back up and I am frustrated. With June and summer here, I have been partaking in the glorious fruits and veggies...you know eating more fresh and healthful. If I am being more healthful, then why the weight gain?

If you have ever carb counted, you know that fruits and veggies are chock full of carbs. I guess perhaps my body is REALLY super sensitive to them. It's not fair and it kind of stinks...a lot.

So there you have it, my update, that's me in a nut shell! Or maybe I'm just a nut!
WickedCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #2  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

welcome back WickedCrafty! Sorry that it's so tough for you to lose the weight. It certainly doesn't seem fair if your body doesn't play by the normal rules. Good luck with this being the final time you have to do it!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #3  

Hi Ange!
Thanks! It really doesn't seem fair when my body doesn't play by the rules! However, I fall down and get right back on and try again. I have never been super thin. Being athletic all my young adult life I had quite a bit of muscle. Add to that my big bones.... I know what you are thinking...but my bariatric Dr measured for my frame size. So while I will never see 130 or below and be healthy... I certainly do not need to be over 200! )
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #4  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

WickedCrafty, I really feel your pain. Losing weight this time (in my 40s) has been a real exercise in patience. Sometimes I don't lose a pound for 2-3 weeks, or lose 2 but then regain them the following week (even more demoralizing). Having said that, I also think that not everyone responds equally well to the low-carb approach, especially an "aggressively" low carb one that even limits fruits and veggies.

Have you considered an alternative approach? Either a more moderately low-carb diet (e.g. South Beach or Zone), or one based on calories/fat/fiber (e.g. Weight Watchers or straight calorie counting)? Perhaps one of those would suit your metabolism better than the current approach. And of course, every diet works better with exercise (which for all I know, you're doing every day, but it's not mentioned in your post).

Best wishes and good luck.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #5  

Thanks for commenting neurodoc!

It's sad when ya lose weight one week, then it comes back and brings friends!

My lower carb approach is nothing as drastic as say, Atkins! In fact, it is pretty easy to stay under the 60-80 gms a day. It seems pretty moderate in comparison. I don't feel deprived and I am not going to bed hungry.

When I did weight watchers, I was always hungry and felt deprived; regardless of the points system...I was a cranky dieter.

Straight calorie counting I do not think I have ever done. I periodically log my foods at fitday, but do not always have time or access.

Lately, I have been considering the purchase of a fitbit or a gowearfit to log activity and sleep. the GWF also has food log ability; but has a monthly membership fee for the website.

As for exercise; I have my moments. It's not everyday, and some days I do way more than others. For instance this weekend we were walking all over the river banks and beach sand. That's a workout!

As I mentioned in Florida girls post; I don't like excercise but if I must...I prefer exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. I do like walking, though a treadmill tends to bore me. I like the Wii fit and playing with my kids. Both are on sport teams, we are always at a ballpark and walking is a necessity, and lots of it! Videos, I have however motivation can sometimes be an issue for me.

I have had those reebok easy tone sneakers since May...LOVE THEM! Just by wearing them while I carry out my daily errands and whatnot, I have lost inches on my hips and thighs. Even the husband has noticed! He commutes weekly to and sometimes bi-weekly. I had not noticed daily, but as he told me, "I'm not always around you...believe me, I notice when things change, and this is an awesome change!"
Old 07-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

How sweet of the Husb to make comments like that! Make sure you let him know (one way or another) that those comments fall on appreciative ears~

I commented on your blog posting today--so I wont get repetitive, but hang in there girl, we are in similar boats, all of us...and we are NOT going to get swept to shore.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Wicked Crafty!

LOVE love love your nick!

I guess my body doesn't follow the rules either. If I actually believed that calorie in - calorie out thing, I'd have quit ages ago. It is far more complicated than that.

Just continue to keep looking for what works for you. I learn new stuff all the time that helps me hang on for another day. A new recipe. A really inspiring post. A feeling of satisfaction at the end of exercise.

Anyway. Glad you're here and I hope you'll hang around for a while.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
How sweet of the Husb to make comments like that! Make sure you let him know (one way or another) that those comments fall on appreciative ears~

I commented on your blog posting today--so I wont get repetitive, but hang in there girl, we are in similar boats, all of us...and we are NOT going to get swept to shore.
Believe me Annette, we show each other much appreciation when we do get to see each other. Currently he is working in another state and commutes when possible on the weekends. Granted, it's not as bad as when he is deployed, but it is a less than ideal situation for the family.

He says as soon as those sneakers loss their oomph, he's getting me another one. His thought is I walk everyday running errands, may as well tone myself up while doing something I am going to be doing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth4365 View Post
Hi Wicked Crafty!

LOVE love love your nick!

I guess my body doesn't follow the rules either. If I actually believed that calorie in - calorie out thing, I'd have quit ages ago. It is far more complicated than that.

Just continue to keep looking for what works for you. I learn new stuff all the time that helps me hang on for another day. A new recipe. A really inspiring post. A feeling of satisfaction at the end of exercise.

Anyway. Glad you're here and I hope you'll hang around for a while.
Beth: I was considering getting one of those gowearfit things. I am not too sure about it though, as I don't like the idea of having to pay to access your results on their website. Not to mention, I am not sure how I would do at the calorie deficit diet. I love trying new recipes too!

Thanks for the responses gals!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

My hubs worked for 2 years in a city that was a 2 hr drive away, so he had an apt for the weekdays, and would come home almost every weekend. That really has its benefits in my book

A couple months ago he was coming home on a Friday night and fell on the first step of the porch (he had walked with a cane for 2 years in severe pain) and ended up having a hip replacement and being off work for 2 months. Now he has been laid off, and is HOME all the time.....yeah I did like the weekend visits~
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
My hubs worked for 2 years in a city that was a 2 hr drive away, so he had an apt for the weekdays, and would come home almost every weekend. That really has its benefits in my book

A couple months ago he was coming home on a Friday night and fell on the first step of the porch (he had walked with a cane for 2 years in severe pain) and ended up having a hip replacement and being off work for 2 months. Now he has been laid off, and is HOME all the time.....yeah I did like the weekend visits~
For us having just come off a year long deployment, having him working in another state is a bit much. Granted we can talk to him every night on the phone now whereas we could not when he was deployed. Life would be easier if he could find work locally...at least before the next deployment!