Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW-226 219/212.5/145

Height: 5'7

Default How to stay in control?

Ever since I was about 12 I had struggles with my weight, once I started highschool I joined a sports team (rowing) where I was really encouraged to lose weight, and I did I lost about 25 pounds. My problem started there, I became obsessed with my weight. I had no problem with the workouts, I enjoy exercise... but my problem came with food. I am educated in nutrition so I know what to eat, but it isn't that easy. My biggest problem is binging, when I was in highschool I was under so much presure with my rowing team to lose weight that after a session of binging I brought myself to bring it back up after. I knew that's not what I wanted, I didn't want an eating disorder, but I didn't know what else to do. After highschool I continued rowing for my first year university, since my initial weight loss at that point I gained about 20 pounds back, but it wasn't fat it was muscle and the height I grew since I initially lost weight. Second year I was no longer able to stick with rowing because I had a hectic work and school schedule and varsity rowing schedule is crazy busy. That was when I put on a tonne of weight, in one year I gained over 30 pounds. Now I know that my weight is getting dangerous and I need to make a change, I know what I'm supposed to do, but I don't know how. Like I said exercise isn't my problem, I enjoy it... but my problem is with binging, no matter what I tell myself nothing can stop me when I'm having an episode. I really don't know how to stop and sometimes I just want to throw it up, but I know that isn't the way and I never want to do that again, but it is tempting. So basically I know binging is a common problem for many of us, how do you stay in control? Please I need some help!
Linnerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Height: 5'6

Hi Linnerz,
Just wanted to let you know that I had read your post. I would say that if there are certain situations where you know you are more likely to binge....try to avoid those. It sounds like you may still be in the University? If you are, I would see if they have any resources available for counseling/etc. If your eating is emotionally based that may help. For me, it generally helps not to have foods around in the house that I know I really like and might have a tendency to go overboards on. Also, for me, if I do eat more than I think I should have, I do try to balance that out with exercising more so that I do not feel as "guilty" about having eaten more than I feel I should. One last thing that you could do is brainstorm a list of things that you could do instead of binging. When you feel the urge to binge, look at the list and try to do one of those things. (A lot of times if it is something where your hands are occupied it helps b/c it makes eating difficult). Hope this helps.
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'5"

I can totally relate. I even like to exercise too...
I found that a low carb diet helped with that because I do believe alot of it is those sugar cravings... including bread being a sugar, etc...
But I'm having trouble getting back into the low carb becasue I can't seem to get past the cravings..
I go back to more exercise and trying to change the foods I eat.
One idea is to cut out sugar and breads, pastas, etc, but allow yourself plenty of veggies and healthy grains. You probably won't binge the same on a bowl of brown rice, quinoa and millet as you would on pasta...

I also got the Beck Diet Solution book and have been working my way through it. It all sounds familiar, of course, but it's well done and feels like it may have some good ideas.

good luck,
I would love to support you if I can, especially since I am right there with you.

-teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote