Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Unhappy Conference from **** Part II - Broken Chairs

Remember the huffing puffing dragon of New York? Well, because being the slow moving Schmoo (note cartoon reference of yesteryear past) of Columbia University wasn't enough for the lords of embarrassment, I broke not one, but two chairs in the conference room. I was actually trying to take a little picture to post because for real, I can't FRIGGING BELIEVE IT.

The chairs are these bendy plastic ones. One of them gave a loud CRACK early in the morning. I switched it for another one. And then, it happened AGAIN in the afternoon.
It's like the bend in the front bends too much and then... cracks. I can still sit in them. Which is good. Because I'd break ANOTHER one if I sat in it.

I'm so depressed and sad, I can't tell you. OK, I am telling you. You know what I mean.

On the plus side, I didn't touch the cheesecake. Not that I WOULD HAVE but still. I had frigging fruit as the skinny skinny girl next to me had a giant brownie AND a big piece of cheesecake.

Yours in massive amounts of bitterness, dawn
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I'm sorry. They sound like they were cheap chairs.
You're doing a great job! Good job for picking the fruit over the cheesecake. You can do this!
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #3  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Those cheap chairs did not belong in a meeting facility! So sorry that happened to you. Kudos to you for choosing the fruit. You are doing great!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #4  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, sounds like a cheap chair problem to me. Maybe they could have cut down on the available sweets, and sprung for some sturdier chairs. I am sorry that this has happened to you.

Hey, look on the bright side, at least the chair didn't crack all the way and dump you on the floor Cheers!

I hope your conference of **** is almost over!
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Aww, I am sorry. I broke my share of chairs too, in front of people, so I know it sucks. Good job with the eating, tho.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm taking those crummy chairs as another sign of Columbia being cheap, despite its vast real estate holdings & its trust, which both make it seem like it has more money than God sometimes.

Make a comment about how much nicer the chairs & facilities are downtown at NYU, where they really know how to spend. That'll get 'em. They may be Ivy, but they don't own 3/4 of the Village & their cool quotient is much lower.

Seriously, I am sorry this conference is beating up on you. I admire your ability to fight back with humor & to turn this into an ongoing story of your persisting in the face of adversity. There's this to be said: You'll get a comedy routine out of this afterward.

And also, kudos for choosing the fruit. Because now you won't have post-cheesecake & brownie-consumption remorse.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Last edited by saef; 06-18-2010 at 01:26 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I never broke a chair at that weight, you are not so ridiculously huge that your weight should break a chair of ANY quality! It is NOT you, but their cheapness. Don't get too down on yourself and good job on not bingeing due to this, but i agree you should make a comment to the faculty about how terrible the quality of their facility is.

My heart hurts for you, it is an unfair situation to be put in. But you are not a freak show, please don't feel like one
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I never broke a chair at that weight, you are not so ridiculously huge that your weight should break a chair of ANY quality! It is NOT you, but their cheapness. Don't get too down on yourself and good job on not bingeing due to this, but i agree you should make a comment to the faculty about how terrible the quality of their facility is.

My heart hurts for you, it is an unfair situation to be put in. But you are not a freak show, please don't feel like one

I 150% agree with this
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I 150% agree with this
Me too. There is something wrong with chairs that won't take your weight - I've been that weight and no furniture ever broke under me.

Cheapskate organizers.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post

I hope you hear this, but I doubt you can right now, so I'm going to say it a different way.

You're short!! So I know 245 pounds feels like a lot to you. But if a six foot tall person weighing 245 pounds sat in that chair, you would wonder why on earth that chair broke and you'd immediately say, "Wow, cheap chair!" 245 pounds is 245 pounds, you know what I mean? Any chair should be able to hold that!! Seriously!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, and away from home too.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I must tell you, and I know this is going to sound strange, but I had a huge fear of chairs. Lawn chairs, barber chairs, picnic benches, theater seats, restaurant booths, beach chairs, folding chairs, parent teacher night sitting in the kids seats, public transportation seating, - even couches (I'd sit on them and they'd sink to the ground from all my weight).

Oh gosh how I hated seating! I was always afraid I was going to break them (& I have - in public), I was always horrified how I *looked* in them, all squeezed in their and spilling over the sides - so embarrassing!!!. Just a horror.

But I switched that around! I know get a big kick and yes, enjoyment out of seats. I LOVE looking down from side to side and seeing all that empty space.LOVE it and yes, it's a thrill for me. I love how little space I now take up. I love it - and one day you will too. Make certain of it, ya hear?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #12  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

I agree that it is the chair (not that it makes it any easier) I am sorry you are at an awful conference. I am in a week long conference this week and the thought of having to sit in plastic chairs the whole time is insane. I can't even image what they were thinking.

Great job on the sweets! They have doughnuts here every morning. I had to promise myself I could have one Friday if I left them alone all week. It is Friday morning and I am really not interested. We shall see how it goes. (I have not been as good with the afternoon cookies, something about the 2 o'clock crash)

Last edited by bythenumbers; 06-18-2010 at 07:43 AM.
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I hate cheap chairs! Good job taking it better than most would, and having the fruit instead of the sugar crap.

OT: Right before I started my weight loss I was terrified that the old 1910 antique dining chairs we used daily would break under my weight. They were pretty wobbly when I sat on them. I was worried that I, or any one of our many overweight friends would crash on one. So I saved up for a long time and went to this Amish furniture store and had 6 solid oak, huge colonial style chairs custom made to match the kitchen table. I spent like around $400 a piece on them...LOL I remember the first time I sat on one...I was in heaven. I knew that there was NO WAY I could break one....and then I lost weight and can barely move them to mop the floor. (But I still LOVE them!)

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-18-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post

You're short!! So I know 245 pounds feels like a lot to you. But if a six foot tall person weighing 245 pounds sat in that chair, you would wonder why on earth that chair broke and you'd immediately say, "Wow, cheap chair!" 245 pounds is 245 pounds, you know what I mean? Any chair should be able to hold that!! Seriously!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, and away from home too.
This is exactly, precisely true. I'm 5' 11" *and* I've broken chairs in public and EVERYBODY says the same thing: "What cheap chairs."

And I believe them, too. Why? Because it's the truth. A chair is not a chair if it can't hold less than 250 pounds.

Columbia should be ashamed. Ashamed, I say!
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I agree the problem is cheap chairs! I am sorry you are having such a bad time at the conference. I have been in the same situation and really feel for you. Like Robin, I have had a fear of chairs for a long time. I would slooooowly ease my weight on a chair, testing to see if it would hold me. There were times that I would stand at the back of a room rather than sit. Embarrassing!

Congratulations on taking the healthy choice instead of letting your bad feeling chase you to all the junk! Just think, next year you can go to the same conference and feel wonderful and not have to worry about the crappy chairs!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote