Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Question At my goal will i still be classed "overweight" or "normal"

My goal weight is 184lbs............which is 13.2lbs im 5.4ft

i chose this as my goal, as ive never been slim girl but was at this weight from about 18 till about 21 i started to put weight on (im now 25) i have over 3 stone 2 lose

at this weight i was "curvacious " and lil bit larger than most but looked healthy and could wear nice clothes etc, Maybe i may decide 2 lose more but i have no idea on what my ideal weight is but 10 stone or less jus isnt realistic , ill always be curvy and im fine with that its me !

At this weight would i have a good BMI etc ?
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

At 5'4" and 184 pounds, your BMI would be 31.6, which is classed as "obese." You would reach the "overweight" class at 174 pounds, and the "normal" class at 145 pounds.

BMI, however, is not a measure of health or fitness. And not all of us around here aspire to be in the "normal" class. My goal weight is just at the top of "normal," but I'm not sure I will want to go all the way there, or whether that will be small enough if/when I do get there.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #3  
Amazing will be me

Wow you have lost ALOT warmadien ......i salute you.

Great job , yeah i suppose its when we get there see how we feel, ive never been small so guess my goal comes from the smallest i have been as an adult and the healthiest and fitest ive felt.

Go to the fisrt hurdle n see what happens. I kno the BMI thing seems rediclous sometimes and 145 seems soo thin just to be normal?? when normal for me has always been meat on the bone lol
We are all different xx
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Here's a link to BMI calculator if you want to play around with a weight you'd be comfortable with:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #5  
Amazing will be me

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Here's a link to BMI calculator if you want to play around with a weight you'd be comfortable with:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

If you're a large frame, 145 may be too thin for you. I'm a medium frame and 153 right now and just barely starting to look thin, at 145 I don't think I will be too thin at all, but everybody's body shape is so different. I wouldn't put too much stalk in the BMI, just go until you feel good about your health and body. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #7  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I'm the same height as you, and at 180ish lbs I still felt very overweight (though now I suspect I'll feel awesome when I get there! ). It really doesn't matter, though. If you hit 184 and feel great and are healthy, then there's no real need to adjust your goals to comply with an arbitrary standard of what equals obese or overweight. I set my goal weight at 150 because, when I started this all, it was the lowest number that seemed acheivable to me. I know that when I was 150 before, I was healthy, didn't stand out in a crowd, was able to do everything I wanted to do, etc, even if I was technically considered overweight. I figured that if I stopped there, it would be okay. I might reconsider when I get there, because I know I wasn't nearly happy with my body at that weight the last time I was there. Who knows, though?
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm also the same height and I hate getting above 150. I feel aweful. Tired, lack of energy, muscle and body aches, etc. My fitness is not where I would like it to be. But - I'm active and have an active family to keep up with, so that makes a difference.

For you, your body has become adjusted to your current weight, which means asside from fat, your body has had to build muscle to carry the extra weight you have. As you lose, if you continue to workout with weights and try to maintain as much muscle mass as you can. You will probably find that at 184 you will be stronger and fitter than soemone else of similar height and weight.

My mom and I are good examples. She weighs less than me - but her size is significantly larger. I would guess her to be 175 or more, but she isn't. Where I wear a size 8, she's in a size 14. Its the difference between our muscle mass and fat mass.

We are all different. For me, 145 isn't good enough. When I was at 130 I wasn't happy as I still had the thigh and butt flab. But for me, trying to get to and stay at 125 is too hard.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #9  
Graceful Loser

Hmm.. does anyone know about the hip to waist ratio? I've heard that was a new technique that some doctors are choosing over BMI to calculate a HEALTHY weight. Anyone know?
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #10  
Graceful Loser

Also, everyone is making some good points about BMI and goal weights. I haven't actually picked my goal weight yet. It mostly has to do with being overweight for my entire life - I can't really look back on a specific weight that was healthy and say, "oh, that's where I think I should be." In other words, I don't quite have that understanding of my body. It's a waiting game for me. After I reach 200, I'm going to think about a temporary goal weight, and I'll probably adhere to the higher end of the BMI spectrum for 160 or so.

(My dream weight is 145 but I think my frame is too large for that.)

Just go with what you're comfortable with - that is the best advice I can offer.

Last edited by Hamoco350; 06-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

I would say don't concentrate on your 'ultimate goal of 184'. Look towards your little goals, and the first one being, hitting the 220s. Start thinking about 184 when you see 190. I can tell you, my goal was 186. And it was my goal because I had gotten down to 186 when I was 18 years old and I loved the way I looked and felt! You see, I too have been overweight my entire life. I have no clue what the 170s look like on a scale. My memory of weight, scales and age only goes back to 5th grade and I weighed 180 lbs. From there I got as high as 292 when I delivered my daughter. When I first joined 3FC, I was around 260 and simply played around with that for a few years. I got serious last year and that starting weight was 247. I'm now tinkering between 186 and 191 as I haven't been very disciplined lately HOWEVER I will be receiving Shaun T's Insanity tomorrow!!

Anyway, back to the topic. At 188, my original goal is only 2 pounds away and I am NOWHERE NEAR satisfied. For the first time in my life, I'm disgusted with my body and the way it feels. Never bothered me before! So I tacked another 40 pounds on to my goal and I WILL make it! Another thing, last time I was 186, I was a lot smaller than I am now, having a child totally changed the makeup of my body!

Good luck!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post

(My dream weight is 145 but I think my frame is too large for that.)

Don't believe the LIE!!! I used to think the SAME thing, but it is wrong! A coworker helped point that out. He's been intrigued by my weight loss and transformation so he always stops me in the break room, asking what I'm eating for lunch, kinda like a check n balance at work. Anyway, he asked what my goal weight was, and I didn't have an answer. He said, well, like 135? My response was that I couldn't even wrap my mind around a weight like that, but the reality is that it is possible. I used to think I had a large frame, but the more weight I lose, well I am realizing it is definitely a medium frame, maybe smaller. It appeared big but as the weight melts away there is a smaller me under there that I didn't know existed.

You CAN do it!!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #13  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

I'm 5'2, and my goal weight is 170. I may try for 160, but (as I sit here now at 255) I seriously doubt I will want to go lower. I'm very curvy, and I want to keep my "thickness". I have no desire to be thin, I just don't want to be uncomfortably obese. I would say wait and see how you feel, but don't rely too much on the charts!
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I had never been a normal weight and didn't really set a goal weight. I LOVED how I looked and felt at 173 and would love to get back there. Could I have gone lower? Sure, I suppose. But these ultimate goals are very personal, affected by all sorts of factors. At 173 I was exercising very regularly and eating great, healthy food. I was technically overweight (not far from obese), but it made ME happy.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I'm 5'4" and I've dropped from 186 to a current 152. With lots of working out, I'm a comfortable size 8 at this weight. I look slender, and some people would say thin--I certainly wouldn't be called fat (at least not by anyone but myself, lol). At 145, I expect to be a size 6 and definitely thin. I couldn't imagine going much smaller than that with my build--and that's at the very tip top of "normal" BMI. I guess my point is BMI is sooooooo not the be all and end all of healthy weight--it depends so much more on how those pounds are distributed on your body, and your body composition.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote