PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Delayed satiation? Forget 20 minutes, how about 2 hours??

Hey girls!

I've got PCOS and insulin resistence, and I've noticed that I have a delayed reaction when it comes to my brain realizing I'm full. Like REALLY delayed. Like, 2-3 hours delayed! I can eat a full meal slowly, savoring every bite, and I need to tell myself to stop or else I'll keep going. But here's the thing- I could run and jump like I had an empty stomach right afterwards! Then 2-3 hours after I've eaten it's like there's a brick in my stomach. This happens no matter what diet I'm on (high-protein, or vegetarian, or raw food, or balanced... I've tried them ALL for weeks at a time). I'm wondering if anyone with insulin issues has this same problem? It's annoying. I don't like to be full, so I usually do not eat my fill. But hours later I feel like I just ate a turkey dinner, no matter what it is that I ate, be it protein, veggies, healthy carbs, etc.

Annoying.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Another PCOS/IR person. The satiety thing is weird for me also. I've been trying to take notes on what meals feel satisfying or not.

So far... soups and bean dishes. And strangely... the tacos I make at home. Made elsewhere? Nope. Here at home? Yep.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-15-2010 at 09:56 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Insulin resistance interferes with the absorption of essential amino acids that are necessary for the production of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that (among other things) controls hunger regulation. Without enough dopamine, your body isn't able to recognize fullness. Protein-rich foods are the best way to boost your dopamine levels.

When you say you "feel like you ate a turkey dinner" several hours after finishing a meal, I assume this means that you feel tired, sluggish, fatigued, etc.? That could be a drop in blood sugar.

When you consume food, your blood sugar naturally goes up, then your body produces insulin to lower the blood sugar. When you're insulin resistant, your body doesn't respond properly to the insulin, so your body makes more. All that extra insulin leads to a sudden marked drop in the blood sugar.

Picture it like a roller coaster. In a normal body, the blood-sugar-insulin hills are like a roller coaster in the kiddie section of the amusement park. In a body with insulin resistance, those hills are like the craziest scariest steepest roller coaster in the amusement park.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Thanks, guys

Actually, I just started linking and balancing a few days ago... and I feel amazing. I've been too extreme with my diets (either ALL protein-- Atkins, or raw vegan, or vegetarian with high amounts of healthy grains...) but I've never really balanced. My body was all out of whack. I feel like a normal person, the last few days. It's amazing. I'm going to stick with this and see what happens.

I'm basically taking one serving of carbs (One frozen waffle instead of two) and pairing it with healthy fats and proteins. Before I was having too many carbs at once, but eliminating carbs was also throwing my body into a weird frenzy of sorts.

What I meant by 2 hours later feeling like I ate a turkey dinner, was that 2 hours later my stomach would bulge and feel grossly full like I HAD JUST eaten 5 minutes ago. But right after I ate, my stomach felt flat, and mostly empty.

Anyway, this linking and balancing has eliminated that, for the first time ever. I'm going to see how this progresses
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote