Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy what weight goal would avoid pre-e?

I do not lose weight easily. Been on a diet since I was 8. Haven't seen Onederland since I was 23? I'm 34 now. I have obstacles such as hashimoto's hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. Despite the metformin and thyroid pills they really just help me to maintain.

I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes and pre-e (going into liver rupturing/failure) and had a 6 week preemie in NICU (she's awesome now). I was 246 when I became pregnant (thank you metformin) and I gained 7 pounds. When she was born I lost 7 pounds. (I was bummed. I thought I'd lose 50 :P ) While I attempted to give the baby breast milk my weight fell off first time ever and I dropped to 208. I stopped pumping and I gained it all back in like 3 months

I'm old and I need more babies I am trying so hard to lose weight and am back down to 232. I still have rib cage pain despite them saying my liver enxzyme dropped to normal. I am really scared to die if I get pregnant again because now I have something really special to live for. I don't want to lose my liver My mom died of hereditary liver disease.

I know I may never see onederland but time is a ticking. I am also not willing to wait 10 years until maybe THEN i lose the hundred pounds I needed to. I can't let life go by while I'm on a diet. kwim?

BTW, it took me 10 years to have my baby. I am not willing to wait another 10 (technically we've been ttc for over a year but we need intervention again). I have no idea why metformin worked over fertility drugs but it's not working this time.

What weight do you think I could get away with being to avoid the whole liver rupturing, panic at the hospital, blood pressure sky high and put through 3 days of labor and a natzi nutritionist on me for 7 months?

After 3 weeks I finally lost a pound recently. It's hard for me. It would be an eon before I'm out of the obese category and I'm not sure I ever will. Not because I don't want to or don't try it's just MY body.

My hubby wants to go now to the RE but I was thinking... maybe one more month of weight loss.. maybe I could push out a 20 pounder on the scale :/ Not likely but then.. anything would be helpful right?

Maybe I should also state, I have a huge resentment against my mom for having me when she was 39 and I want to be done with pregnancy by uh soon. I don't want to be dead when my daughter starts this journey like my mom left me (whom I love don't get me wrong).

I should probably add that cd1 is in 4 days and I could probably get in and started tomorrow tbh.. but I think I could order the injections off a online pharmacy for half price (with a script) and that might take a month and then add another month for the right day. And since it costs something like 5k a cycle I want it to be a really good cycle b/c at that price there won't be many if not just one :/

Last edited by wannabesomebody; 06-13-2010 at 05:15 PM.
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, you know even healthy, skinny women can get pre-e right? Weighing less would help, but if you are predisposed to liver issues that might not help much. I honestly thing your only bet is getting a nutritionalist to work with an RE to help you with this, because you have very complicated issues to consider.

I wish I had better news, but despite being obese my pregnancies have always been uneventful. Additionally, there are a lot of complex factors that exacerbate pre-e. Heavy or not, a healthy diet and activity will make the whole pregnancy go more smoothly, and if you have such a difficult time losing weight then perhaps health factors are what you should strive for, beyond a number on a scale.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

When I was pregnant with my first I read that pre-eclampsia is more common in first pregnancies and true to form I was borderline from 32 weeks but managed to get to full-term with very close monitoring of my BP and testing my urine daily at home. I was around 155lbs when I fell pregnant.

Fast forward over 5 years when I fell pregnant with my second, I was over 200lb and I had no problems at all with my BP this time around - I was also mid 30s. However I also had no other health issue and no family history on anything other than hypertension.

In conclusion therefore I don't think you can say with any certainty the effect that weightloss would have on any future pregnancy as like I said I was at least 50lbs heavier with no.2 and had no health issues.

Good luck

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #4  

Hi mama,

This thread is a bit dusty, but I wanted to chime in.

Have you visited an MFM to be tested for any underlying issues, such as a clotting disorder? You might find that for you, it isn't so much about your weight than it is about supportive care during your next pregnancy. For example, your MFM might choose to have you on Lovenox or Heparin, even if your tests come back normal.

I am 33. I was 30 when my son arrived 8 weeks early due to pre-e/HELLP. I am 5'2" and was 275 when I got pregnant. For the entire pregnancy I gained only 10 pounds and then ballooned up to 301 during the last few weeks. Yuck!

I have been diagnosed with an underlying clotting factor issue that will only affect me during pregnancy. My care team (comprised of an MFM, OB, and CNM) will prescribe Lovenox during my pregnancy and they want be to be on the LOW side of a healthy weight before getting pregnant, which for me would be 105. I'm 280 right now, so I obviously have a ton of work ahead of me. I'm giving myself a year to loose it.

Have you checked out the forums over at the preeclampsia foundation? You might get some good answers about what to expect the next time around, considering your current situation.

The other posters are correct when they say that pre-e affects skinny women. For some women, weight could be an contributing issue but for others, it's not. Pre-e is a "disease of theories", so your best bet is to be tested for any underlying issues (besides your known problems), go see an MFM, and do you best to follow the recommendations you're given. I'm sorry that there isn't a magic goal weight for you to strive towards. Good luck to you.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote