Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Runners - Do You Take Walk Breaks?

I'm up to running 5.5k quite easily on the treadmill non-stop, and have managed to run about 4.3k outside non-stop, but due to the hills round here when I've reached one on the return loop I've had to stop and walk for a minute or so. The one time I did run up the hill my heart rate rocketed and I felt like I was going to die when I got to the top of the hill.
I really would LOVE to be able to run non-stop, but these hills are killing me and I feel like I've failed if I have to stop to walk, which I can't see changing unless I can find somewhere flat to run.
When out on my runs I use my Garmin and really try to make sure that I keep my heart rate steady. Should I just ignore my heart rate and push myself to get up that hill even if it kills me, or am I right to take a walk break?
Do experienced runners take walk breaks or as you get fitter are you just able to get up those hills and run non-stop whereever you are?
I'm maybe being impatient as I've only been running since January, but I'm finding myself avoiding outside runs because I know I'm going to have to walk and I don't want to feel like I've failed.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

First of all it is never a failure to take a walk break. I know FAST marathoners who take walk breaks during races.

Hills and walk breaks are kind of different topics. Some people incorporate walk-breaks as a running strategy.

So here is my short take on hills.

Form: Keep your body upright, do not allow yourself to put your head down and slog the hill. Look up the hill aways. Focus on lifting your knees. Imagine a rope going up the hill at waist level pulling you up the hill. (on a tough hill you will actually see my fingers close as my hands pinch the rope - I dont alter my armswing but I imagine grabbing the rope and pulling up)

Now focus on keeping your EFFORT level about where you have kept it the rest of the run or just a LITTLE bit higher. This may mean slowing down earlier than you have been when hitting the hills. Dont try to attack the hill, just keep your head up, knees high and let the hill come to you. Slow as needed. Walk if you need to, but I think that if you let yourself slow down earlier in the hill you will find yourself able to go farther each time. Constant effort.

Your heart rate may increase, but you should not push it to the point where you are feeling breathless at the top or the rest of your run suffers.

The next time you go out, try a totally different strategy. As soon as the hill is noticeable, drop your pace to as slow as you can without breaking form. See what happens if you jog up the hill.

Challenges like hills are not failures, they are simply another tool to measure your progress over TIME.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #3  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Good on you for getting outside in the first place. A million times better than running on the treadmill if you ask me.

If you have to walk a bit on the hills that's fine. Look at them as a challenge that is there to be overcome! I actually prefer a few hills to flat running.

My advice is to try to keep your heart rate similar for going up the hills as it is for on the flat i.e. SLOW DOWN. Slow down a lot. And take tiny steps. You may well end up going slower than you can walk it - but it's the only way to start.

If you're huffing and puffing too much then stop and walk that's fine, but maybe take a note of where you stop, then then next time you do the same run try and run just a few metres further.

I remember when i first started doing that, i ran a few metres more up the same hill each time i did it, and then one day i just kept going and was able to run (very slowly, mind) for the full mile uphill home. I felt absolutely fantastic afterwards.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
When out on my runs I use my Garmin and really try to make sure that I keep my heart rate steady. Should I just ignore my heart rate and push myself to get up that hill even if it kills me, or am I right to take a walk break?
How high is your heart rate going? I run ~20 miles/week, but it's not unusual for my HRM to flash 178 or so when I'm topping a big hill.

As far as trying to keep your heart rate steady, my understanding is that pushing your heart rate up, followed by a period of recovery (like cruising down the other side of that hill) is what makes your heart stronger and really increases your conditioning. Hills are a natural form of interval training.

A friend of mine just started running in our very hilly neighborhood. She set a goal of increasing how far she could make it up each hill each time she ran. She counts the mailboxes... so the first day she could only make it to the first mailbox on each hill, but the next day she pushed herself to reach the second mailbox on each hill, etc, etc. Now she can run up all of them (pushing a double stroller at that!). I think a good way to make sure you keep pushing and improving is to set a goal as to how you will conquer those hills!

But it is NEVER a failure to walk part of your run. You are OUT THERE getting it done -- that is a victory!!!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #5  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for the advice ladies, I really appreciate it.
Been out this morning and had THE best run ever! The most I've run outside so far is 4.3k non-stop and 5.5k including walking the hills. Today I ran 6k non-stop INCLUDING the first hill!!! I remembered all your advice and when I got to the dreaded first hill I slowed down my pace, made my steps smaller, looked up the hill a bit and imagined that rope, and I used that rope to pull me up it. Once I got to the top I carried on running on the flat and even began running up the next hill before I had to walk!
Including my warm up I ran/walked approx 8k in total as well. I did 5k in 38.13 so I'm ecstatic. My goals for my first 5k race in 20 days are to run the whole thing and finish in under 40mins, and I think now it might just be possible!!!
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

You rock! Can't wait to hear your race results!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #7  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

woo hoo!!! great effort. You'll blitz that 40 minutes on race day - make sure you report back to us on it!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

newbie posting - first post to the exercise forum.

I run ... really slow... up hills. I wear my garmin and monitor heart rate, but I do not keep it steady. If I find my heart rate increases, I let it increase until I'm having trouble regulating my breathing, then I slow down and back off until I get my breathing under control again. Today my workout was sprints - 3 laps of sprints on flat ground, 2 laps of hills. (over a bridge, and back - twice). The hill sprints kill me, but I was able to make it, I push myself not to give up. No matter how slow I go - as long as its still a run. And I'm slowly getting better.

Just keep trying. If you have to walk, you have to walk, but if you are up to pushing youself, push yourself to go a little further next time, just slow the run down. Soon enough you will make it over the top.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote