Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Has anyone disagreed with their goal weight set by their leader??

I am curious about this. We have a neighbor who goes to another WW meeting/location and her leader set her goal weight the other day. My neighbor
thinks it is completely unattainable for her height and build.

When I looked at the charts online it seems that even though the suggested goal is within the range, it would be way too much lost for this women (who is 64). She looks wonderful to me and even a little "bony".

Has anyone disagreed with their leaders suggested goal?

Marie

Last edited by tiniree; 06-08-2010 at 01:51 PM.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #2  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

To me, it appears that the WW goals are about "averages." It doesn't take into account your the way your body is built, etc. If I had listened, I probably would be anorexic trying to obtain the goal. I'm going to base it on how I feel and what I'm comfortable with, rather than trying to follow their goals for me.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #3  

See that's the way I feel but our neighbor wants to be a Lifetime member and they told her she can't unless she gets to the goal within the chart range????
Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #4  

That isn't true. All she has to do is get a note from her doctor with the goal weight he wants her to be.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #5  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I agree with QuilterinVA - I mean, they can't expect every person to fit in their neat little chart - there are always exceptions to the rule.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #6  

Perfect! I will have her talk with her doctor and get a note. If she were 20 years younger, the goal weight might make sense, but she is at an age now where she may need that little extra without being overweight.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

The leader shouldn't be setting the goal weight. You neighbor can set her goal at whatever she wants as long as it is within the range on the chart (which is about a 30 lbs range). If she feels that is too low, then she just needs a note from her doctor and she can obtain lifetime that way. SO yes, definitely have her talk to her doctor.
loriehohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've heard that WW is making some changes about doctor assigned weight goals. For example, my mom's doctor set her goal weight at 200 lbs, but she wanted mom to continue to lose, but more slowly (a lot of doctors will give generous goal weights in order to save people money at WW).

From what I understand, WW will still let your doctor assign your weight goal, but you have to stay within leeway of that goal (you can't continue to lose and still get free meetings).

Whether this is true everywhere, I'm not sure. You could ask your local leaders (you could also get your doctor to assign you a goal range, rather than a goal weight).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-09-2010 at 01:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I've heard that WW is making some changes about doctor assigned weight goals. For example, my mom's doctor set her goal weight at 200 lbs, but she wanted mom to continue to lose, but more slowly (a lot of doctors will give generous goal weights in order to save people money at WW).

From what I understand, WW will still let your doctor assign your weight goal, but you have to stay within leeway of that goal (you can't continue to lose and still get free meetings).

Whether this is true everywhere, I'm not sure. You could ask your local leaders (you could also get your doctor to assign you a goal range, rather than a goal weight).
During your six week maintenance period you have to stay within 2 lbs above AND below your goal weight. So say your goal was 150 lbs. You have to stay between 148 and 152. But after that six week period you can go below 148.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 329.2/263/160

My leader says that the goals in the book aren't always best for each person and that a doctors note can override the goal.

I am one of those who really wonder if I can reach the 141 goal. That is the high end for my height. I am meeting my doc Monday and I want to talk to him about it.

Last edited by Sittingrumpy; 06-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Sittingrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I just looked at the weight watcher's goal chart out of curiousity. My WW weight is about 10 lbs lighter than 'healthy' would be on the BMI scale... that's interesting. If I reach the goal in my ticker I'd still be 'overweight' according to Weight Watchers. I honestly don't think I'd want to weigh less than 157...

Last edited by ValRock; 06-20-2010 at 02:55 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I just looked at the weight watcher's goal chart out of curiousity. My WW weight is about 10 lbs lighter than 'healthy' would be on the BMI scale... that's interesting. If I reach the goal in my ticker I'd still be 'overweight' according to Weight Watchers. I honestly don't think I'd want to weigh less than 157...
I am looking at the WW chart in my current pocket guide. If you are 5'9" your range is 135 to 169. So your goal weight on your ticker is over 10 lbs less than the top of your range. WW charts seems right on with BMI. Maybe you looked at the chart wrong??