Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #1  
active-duty Navy

S/C/G: 173/xx/140

Height: 5'1"

Default away from home?

how do you guys handle counting calories away from home or on the road? my 21st birthday is next weekend and i'm going home to ohio, but i desperately want to start counting calories today. part of me wants to just put off this healthy change until After my birthday, bc i know it will be so hard to maintain while i am surrounded with unhealthy food at home and a total 12 hours on the road...
allison6689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #2  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Buy your own food before the trip (for during the trip), and while you're at home. If you do eat something at home that's not quite as healthy... well... eat just a little of it. Not a lot.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
I travel a lot with the family. Last trip 3,000 miles in 9 days. Plan, plan, plan. I have 2 apps on my iTouch and when things get really hairy, like it is now, I use Fitday because of the ease of future meal inputting. Right after this trip, we have had house guests, a death, and now DS high school graduation with the attended parties or social settings.

Microwave meals are your friends. Calories, fiber, then sodium last in *my* priority list when getting a frozen meal and then I added more veggies to stay nice and full. I learn to make meals in microwave while at home for trip. Scrambled eggs with veggies for example. If I can bring my lunch it is much better than getting something out. Usually, I try and save the bulk of my calories for the evening meal.

Call ahead to where you are staying. From your plan, you will see where you will be eating. Plan out that continental breakfast or restaurant meal in your home with information much easier to get. I have a habit of calling if I don't know.

I have lost nice and steady on my travels. But it didn't happen by chance, a whim, or good luck.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/215/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't want to assume you are going to drink just because you are turning 21, but if you do, remember that a lot of drinks are quite high in calories.
Twiddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote