Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #1  

Default Help Me!!!

I am 5 yrs out and have gained back 40 pds and I am at a loss. I have spoken to 2 of my friends who are in the same boat. I need some ideas to jump start myself. Any ideas on protein shakes, ect... Also I can't seem to get enough iron. I'm at a 5 and that is not good. Does anyone use the liquid iron? Please I am game for any ideas
fluffybuns68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't know which surgery you had, but I've seen this recced a lot for RNY.

http://5daypouchtest.com/

If you are really low on iron, go to the doctor, supplements with a high level are usually not OTC.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I know a lot of people that have iron issues if they don't keep up their suppliments. Once it's low its hard to get it back up. See a dr., you may need an infusion.

As for the restart...I get that! Here's my suggestions....

-Do this for you....be there for you...love yourself enough to do the right thing by you.

If your child came to you, "I have this problem, I feel like garbage, and I don't know what to do. Help me." How would you act? Would you go to the floor for them? Would you give anything for them? DO THAT FOR YOURSELF TOO.

I repeat this a lot but its so true....

Be there for the one person that will be there through everything...knows exactly what you think...knows your liabilities and abilities....knows exactly what you want, exactly you need, exactly where you're going...YOU.

-See a counselor. Even for a few months, having someone to talk to about life, love, food, motivaton...can change everything!

-go to www.livestrong.com/myplate it helps me in so many ways to write it all out!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 05-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I am not nearly as far out as you (just over a year), so my situation is a bit different but I have had trouble losing weight since about 6 months out. One thing that has helped me be more successful recently is finding protein shakes that I actually LIKE, as in, I actually look FORWARD to them! My two current favorites are:
  • chocolate Hood Calorie Countdown milk with unflavored whey isolate protein powder (I've found ISO 93 natural protein powder to be the best bang for the buck)
  • Hood Calorie Countdown white milk or unsweetened Almond Breeze (or whatever other low-carb milk you like) with Elite brand chocolate mint whey protein powder
As for the iron, what type of iron have you been taking? Are you taking it at the same time as any calcium (a no-no)? Are you taking it with Vitamin C (a, umm, yes-yes)? Have you tried a heme iron (I believe the only brand available is Proferrin, and, as far as I know, it's only available online)? Heme iron doesn't have as many restrictions as other types of iron (you CAN take it with calcium) and doesn't cause the constipating side effects many other types of iron can cause.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote