Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #1  

Default Anyone swimming?

As I've mentioned before, I hate most exercise, and that doesn't change, even if I do it for a long time. So I'm trying to incorporate only things I'll really be able to keep up. Which means I haven't done any exercise (apart from walking) for nine months now.

But I love anything that gets me into the water, diving, snorkelling, swimming. And I just found out that a really nice pool, build for the olympics, is ten minutes' walk from my flat. Hurray!

So I went there this morning and did 24 laps (one is 50m or 54yrd)! I loved it! It's so calming and relaxing, and at the same time I use my entire body, which feels great.

But I don't feel like I've done any exercise.

So is there anyone else here who swims regularly?
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, swimming laps once a week is something I really look forward to. And though I'm slow, I swim for a very long time (minimum 1 hour) so am definitely burning off some calories.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I LOVE the pool!! What you get out of it though totally depends on you, which can be hard. I find the pool relaxing too, so kicking it up a notch can be hard.

Try timing yourself if there's a clock with a second hand available and then try increasing your speed. Or maybe the first time you did 5 laps in 5 minutes. Try for 6 next time.

If you have flippers, flippers are awesome. They rocket you through the water and really strengthen the legs. It's just plain fun, both in the water doing the front crawl or using a kick board. With the kick board, this one actually makes my face sweat.

I go for speed and endurance when I swim laps. It's a great workout. Personally I need more than just the pool, but I think that's because I find the pool SO relaxing that it's hard to push myself in it. The pool is now my reward.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-17-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

its a great workout
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I love swimming too, and I second Eliana's suggestion to use flippers. I used to think flippers were "cheating" but then I realized that you actually get a better workout.

On my weight loss journey, I started out swimming laps 5 times weekly, I did half an hour then extended to 45 minutes. I'm a pretty fast swimmer, so I felt like I was able to get a pretty good workout. Six months of swimming gave me a good base from which to switch to running.... now I mostly run and lift, but I think swimming is the BEST exercise for heavier people just starting an exercise routine-- you can get a great workout without all the pounding and joint pain of other exercises.

Enjoy!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I am a swimmer.

I used to swim regularly 1x a week years ago, before I gained more weight. My arms had (some) muscle definition and overall, I felt good.
I started swimming again last year and I try to go 1 - 2x a week (although not so much in winter as I am constantly freezing in the office and it's hard to force myself to go swimming). I swim only 35 minutes because I basically take a longer lunch break and it takes me about 15 minutes to get to the pool, change and get in the water; and a bit more afterwards.
No matter how warm the water is, I typically start feeling cold after 30 minutes.

I swim breast stroke only, and I was in fact surprised to see a chart in the last issue of Oxygen which said that an hour of breaststroke burns 590 calories per hour. I would always assumed that crawl burns more.

24 laps in an Olympic size pool equals 1 mile, if I remember correctly (again, based on what the article said). My pool is smaller and I think I need to do 34 laps (=62 length) to cover 1 mile. I never counted laps but I will try today (but I think it will be hard to remember, I will lose count as I know myself).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I have been taking a deep water aerobics class for the last 4 months and had decided that I was benefiting from that so much that I would reward myself with swimming lessons. I've had two private lessons and two group lessons. I love it! I am in the pool at least 5 days a week. While I am not able to swim alot of laps right now, I will tell you that I am seeing some great results from spending so much time in the pool. I'm losing inches (especially in my mid section), toning my legs and arms, and increasing my endurance. I feel strong in the water!

I've also read that an hour of breststroke burns 590 calories. Looking forward to being able to work up to that!

Enjoy your swimming. I think it's a great workout. And, like others have suggested, find a way to bump up the intensity if it's too easy the way you're doing it now. But, I think, that sometimes we have this idea if exercise isn't a miserable experience then we can't possibly be doing it right. If you're loving the swimming and seeing benefits, then just enjoy it
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

So I counted during my today, and in my usual 35 minutes, I covered 58 lengths, so I was only 6 lengths/3 laps away from 1 mile (but I really can't stay any longer).
I don't know if it's good or bad (I consider myself a slow swimmer), I am sure I won't beat Dara Torres any time soon.
I have to admit though that counting the numbers pushed me to swim faster, also, I shared the lane with another lady who was quite fast (she was changing styles) so it was an additional motivator not to fall behind.
It was a great workout, even though it was only 35 minutes - I realized, when my arms/shoulders were getting fatigued, that I can work harder with my legs to propel myself. So I did - It was a great workout, even though it was only 35 minutes.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote