Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #1  

Height: 4' 11.5"

Default How do you deal with negativity from others?

I come from a culture where it's healthy to clean your plate and to be on the heavier side. So when I lost 60 lbs, my mom has been constantly telling me how it's not healthy to be too skinny, I'm malnourished, I don't eat enough, etc. I still have 15 lbs left to lose and I feel so defeated because the negativity is coming from someone who's such a big part of my life. I've been trying so hard to eat healthy and to exercise, but when I hear things like that, it's making me think that 15 lbs is just impossible even if I've come this far. I know that what anyone else says should not matter since it's MY body, but it's SO much harder said than done!! How have you all gotten over this? Would love some feedback.
MissChocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #2  

I hope you don't mind me answering. My ww is on hold until I have baby #2, but I've been back here lurking around!
Years ago, before I had my kids, I really worked hard and lost a lot of weight. I had always been an over weight kid, so my parents weren't supportive for two different reasons.
My mother did as yours did, was saying it was unhealthy and I should eat (bare in mind I was still technically over weight just smaller than I was before), but my own mother was always overweight (now obese) with an addiction to food and never was able to lose weight but would say from time to time how bad she felt. In fact, when we would go out for a lunch, if I ordered healthy, she would pick on me and actually get nasty because at the same time she'd order something unhealthy. I stopped going to lunch with her because she wanted a partner in crime to eat eat eat jumk with her, and when I stopped being that, she became very nasty. (my mother also have a lot of other issues at play in this)
It took me most of my 20s to see she was not worried about my healthy but angry that I had lost weight.
I'm not saying that I your mother's motive, but sometimes when we commit to be healthier, like eat healthy and exercise, the people (which can included family and friends) we previously "bonded" with over unhealthy habits (like grandma's home made apple pie, or sitting on the couch after dinner to watch tv with the family) feel let down that those times are changed.
I'm not sure if I'm making sense, and I'm going to blame it on mommy brain! lol, but also, some parents feel as though they are taking care or showing love through food, and not eating their super fattening home cooked meal can be received like not accepting a gift or even a hug.
You can try a few approaches. The nicer way would be to try to find other ways for you and your mom to share time rather than just over a meal. See if she will go for walks with you after dinner, so the part to look forward to is the walk after the meal rather than the meal itself. It would be a way of including her in your new lifestyle and would help her health at the same time. Trying to inform her and include her is the best way to go. Some people will respond to that and some want no part of it, and might continue to pass comments.
The other way that I used after all else failed and the comments continued, was to just agree with everything they say, but continue doing what your are doing. If your mom say you are to skinny, tell her she's right. Don't argue, or defend yourself against someone who has no intention of ever listening, meeting you half way or changing their outlook. It will only give you stress. Just put an end to the conversation and leave to room. If you've lost 60 lbs, then you have put a lot of time and effort into this weight loss and it should be obvious to your mother that her comments are falling on deaf ears and that you are not going to be swayed to gain wieght back by what she says, and since that has not curbed the remarks then maybe her comments are more to stir the pot than a futile attempt to get you to gain your weight back.
HTH
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #3  

Height: 4' 11.5"

WOW, thank you SOOO much for your detailed response. It was so helpful because I can totally relate to everything you were saying!! My parents (esp. my mom) are HUGE foodies. They have owned a couple Japanese restaurants in the past and they really enjoy good food. And I used to partake in their voyages of exploring good food throughout the city. But like you, I've decided to refuse dinner invitations since they tend to go out at least 2-3 times a week. Whereas I like to keep my "going out" night to 1x a week since I know that I tend to overeat, especially around my family. I've actually never tried your tactic in just agreeing with what they say and just keep on going with the weight loss. LOL I've always been too upset and just responded in a snappy way. But then, my conscience got the beset of me and I regretted what I said 2 seconds ago. So, I'll definitely take your advice on that.

I do feel as though my mom is upset at me for losing weight - almost disappointed that I now have a thinner waist than she does. She even commented on that a few times when we were jeans shopping. And of course, she snapped back saying that I'm malnourished and that I'm getting too skinny. Go figure.

Btw, congrats on baby #2!!! I'm sure it'll be a very healthy pregnancy, since it seems like you really know what to do. Please keep us updated!!!

Last edited by MissChocoholic; 05-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.
MissChocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #4  

you're welcome! I know losing weight is hard enough without the people close to you making it harder. Fortunately I have a very support husband, but not parents.
I'm actually due the 17th and I let my self get very heavy again, but I'll just have to lose it again. Itcan be done. Let me know how it goes with your mom, if you want to. It hurts when those that love you most are jealous rather than happy for you.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote