Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Exclamation To all the "Losers".. Any Tips??

I had messed up on my start of being on a strict 1200 calorie plan...but I won't give up and each day is a new begining!

For those that lost 100 Lbs or more, can you share any tips on what helped you staying on plan and don't lose motivation? I would be grateful for any tips shared.

Thank you.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

My #1 tip for anyone who wants to lose weight is to 100% eliminate white sugar and white flour from their diet. Minimally, commit to doing this for 30 days to at least give it a fair shot. Even without counting calories or otherwise consciously restricting food intake, this has the potential to create an immediate weight loss (perhaps 10 to 20 pounds in the first month), to eliminate cravings for junk food, and to massively improve health and emotions.

Calorie restricting alone, without improvement to the diet and elimination of junk, will very rarely lead to long-term success.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
strict 1200 calorie plan.
I'm not a 100 lb loser... yet. BUT maybe the quote above is the reason? Where are you starting? What are your goals?Maybe you need to make some smaller, gradual changes to help you stick with it.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

What helped me? Not starting at 1200 calories If I remember correctly you are close to 400 pounds. You need MUCH more food. I'd start at closer to 2000 calories per day of good filling foods with lots of protein and tons of fruits and veggies. Whole grain carbs and measured amounts of healthy fats. EAT FOOD and then you won't be tempted to cheat!!!!

Last edited by cfmama; 05-04-2010 at 03:45 PM.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
What helped me? Not starting at 1200 calories If I remember correctly you are close to 400 pounds. You need MUCH more food. I'd start at closer to 200 calories per day of good filling foods with lots of protein and tons of fruits and veggies. Whole grain carbs and measured amounts of healthy fats. EAT FOOD and then you won't be tempted to cheat!!!!
Do you mean 2,000 calories, Cfmama?

I agree with increasing your calories, Liliann.

Other tips:

- STAY ON TRACK. If something happens and you don't as you'd wished, put that behind you right there and then and KEEP GOING on plan. That is honest to God one of the best things you can do for yourself along this journey. You don't have to be perfect on plan, but if you're on it more often than you are not, especially most of the time, you will see progress and lose weight.

- Drink plenty of water (or other clear fluids except soda). Increase this gradually if you're new to it.

Good luck! I know you can do this!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/253/135

Height: 5'6"

I have to agree with the others. 1200 is way too low. I tried 1200 when I first started and could only keep it up for about a day and a half. I raised it to 1700 and find that that is an eaier number to do daily and still lose. I also eat small meals throughout the day and at dinner I fill my plate at least half, sometimes 3/4 full of veggies. 1/4 to half full of healthy carbs and protein and a small dish or fruit or salad. This makes me feel like I am eating a huge amount for dinner but still within my calorie range. Good luck.
Jenn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Liliann, I also agree with cfmama. Don't start with 1200 calories. Also, if I remember correctly, you live somewhere that you don't have total control of the menu. If I do remember correctly, trying to stay at 1200 calories would really be difficult. Try to settle on a calorie level that you can stick with, 1800 or 2000. Then you can gradually lower them.

It is good to see you back!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Warmadien about the white sugar and flour - eliminate those as much is humanly possible and you'll do yourself a HUGE favor.

And also with everyone about 1200 being too low - you'll be down to 1200 by the end of your journey but you shouldn't start there. I just came off a month long plateau that was at least in part caused by too few calories. I was aiming for 1500 a day and many days not even hitting 1200 (i work the graveyard shift and sometimes i just need sleep more then food so without junk food I was falling short. Often.) Now, after a week of getting close to 1500 a day I'm back to losing! You are not doing yourself any favors at all by starting so low.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Yeah, I should note--I also agree that 1200 calories is far too few at your weight. I don't even eat that low; I eat about 2000 calories right now, and am losing fat at a rate that is fine for me. (I am also very active.)
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started near where you are now (I believe) and I'd agree with others.

1) Don't start at 1200 calories
2) Make 'better' food choices. I honestly didn't calorie count to lose any of the weight I've lost. Of course that made for some inconsistent weight loss but I decided to cut out the high fat/high sugar foods and emphasize the whole foods.
3) Weight train - I love weight training and it is something that as a heavy woman can make you feel accomplished in.
4) Walk - Don't worry about running, jumping, etc but even if you just get a pedometer and try to increase your steps or just add in chances to walk throughout the day, do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

yoikes, i think a 10 year old eats more than 1200 cals a day!! I agree with many above to up that to 2000 at least if you're starting at over 300lbs. I was 323 when I started, and did 2000 til 250lbs, then dropped to 1750 til i hit about 225lbs. and now I'm about 1700 some days a bit more.

Along with all the great weight loss advice (white flour/sugar etc.) I recommend on working on your MIND at the same time you're working on your body. There are reasons why we all got to be well over 200 lbs., Not all the reasons are earth-shattering like abuse or neglect as kids, etc., sometimes it can be good old fashioned laziness and being a spoiled brat (helllllo that's me!) and learning how to deal with our past to make the future free from the same mistakes. You can lose tons of weight, but if the mind is the same as when you start, that can lead to failure and regaining

Start with a few things you can live with - don't starve yourself, I beg of you. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better to lose 20 lbs in a year that you'll never see again, than to drop 100 only to gain it back again !

Last edited by Trazey34; 05-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Small changes add up. The way to ingrain new habits and not be overwhelmed by them is to start small. Try focusing just on an on-plan breakfast, every day for a week. If that's too much, try every day for four days. Then expand as you feel you can control it. Once you're comfortable with that goal becoming habit, set yourself another one.

Don't obsess over the scale. Even one pound a week will have you losing over 50 pounds by this time next year! At least once a month, measure yourself, and write it down.

Focus on actions, not outcomes. For me, I focus on my blood glucose, my calorie goal (1800/day), limiting carbs, and exercise at least 5x a week. When I do that, the outcome is going to be lost weight. But I can't focus on the weight or I'll be overwhelmed. I CAN focus on the next meal, the next bike ride, the next meter reading.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I lost around 70lbs, not 100 - but I have kept it off for over 5 years.

My biggest tips:

1. Planning. I can't eat healthy by accident. I do all my meal planning on Sunday (every meal/snack!), go to the grocery store and pre-make as much as possible.

2. I stick to what's on my plan.

3. If I eat offplan, I forgive myself and get right back on track the next time I eat.

4. I try to eat foods that I know are good for me and avoid foods I know are bad for me.

5. I try to learn from my experiences. If I at an Oreo and can't stop until I've eaten 10 Oreos, I've learned it's hard to stop after I eat a single Oreo.

6. I understant that NO ONE can put food inside me, but me. That floppy thing at the end of my arm is MY hand. I am the only one that controls it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #14  
300+ Chick

Thank you all so much for sharing your tips.. I will up my calories to 2000 and take it from there. I weigh 350 and knowing 1200 will make me more hungrier.. again. Thank you all so much!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #15  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

For me it was enjoying those small steps along the way. Seeing the scale move even if it was slow. Feeling better about ME and just having more energy. Eventually you will see bigger results that really get you motivated!

Make sure to make whatever calories you consume COUNT - meaning eat a salad for a few calories with lots of veggies instead of having a bag of chips.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote