Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #1  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Roast Newbie Needs Help!

Hi!

I just got the ingredients for this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Cr...in/Detail.aspx

But the only roast my store had was double the size called for: 3 pounds instead of 1.5. So I doubled up all the seasoning cans of soups, but now I'm not sure how long to put it in the crockpot for!

It says 8 hours on Low for the 1.5 pound roast... I'm guessing not 16 hours on Low for the 3 pound roast Some number of hours on High, then switch to Low?

I am trying to do Atkins on the cheaper side, so I thought I'd become better friends with my crockpot

Any tips would be VERY appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 04-25-2010 at 06:49 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

I think you're good without doubling the soup - gonna try it -will rub some garlic and black pepper in to it.

Thanks for sharing!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #3  

After considering the carb counts in the "cream" soups, I would go with this one instead:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing...er/Detail.aspx

The 10.75 oz. can of Cream of Celery Soup from Campbell's has 20 grams of carbs (not deducting the 2.5 grams Fiber). If you add the 2 cans per the 1.5 pound roast and get 6 servings, that's 5.8 grams of Net Carbs per serving, but only if you have a small .25 pound serving -- that's pretty tiny! Especially for someone on Atkins.

But maybe my portion sizes are skewed too big in my mind? What size portion of meat do you all usually have for dinner? A quarter pound, or more?

I will make it this time since it is already cooking, but next time I will be on the lookout for lower carb recipes, like the one above that uses red wine, garlic & other seasonings for flavor
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

To be honest meat does not make a big portion of my meals. I often have a salad with some sliced sauteed steak, or chicken or pork ... but there is definitly more salad than meat.

As for your crockpot, each one is different so you may have to experiment with how long a roast will take. It will also depend on the cut of roast, a crockpot is really great for tougher cuts of meat that become more tender the longer they cook .. as I am sure you know.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #5  

Dinner Report:

I cooked my 3 pound pork tenderloin for 8.5 hours on Low, and it came out very moist and fell apart when I tried to cut it. So it's more like pulled pork than slices, but it tastes great!

And it will last for several dinners, which is awesome... Not bad for $3/pound!