Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/193/140

Height: 5 8"

Default New and need a Plan to succeed

Hi, I am 43, single mom of 2 kids. one 11, one 23. I am a quality control manager for a dairy company. and am i am trying to find a plan to suit me. i have digestive issues *reflux and gallstones so eating any amount of fat cannot be done. also, i am vegetarian but do eat dairy and eggs. any advise on what will work best in my situation? i used to be a gym person but i find myself with like zero energy lately...and leg aches and just general feeling of not feeling good. its getting old!
I also suffer from the monthly peri beast with strange symptoms, anxiety attacks, palpitations, mood swings, bloating, etc. i am fine the rest of the month but the 1 to 2 weeks before and during are real bears...so much so i had to get relaxer pills from the doctor, i could not manage the symptoms. any advise greatly appreciated all
thanks all, Lion
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #2  

Default hi thought I would try to help...

I feel for you and know how hard it is to figure out how to start...I really like weight watchers. I have done almost every diet known to man and found most of them to be too restrictive for me. I enjoy ww because I get to have my popcorn (100 calorie bags) I eat alot of fruit and vegies and still have a hard time getting all my points in. You can do a search and figure up how many points you would get in a day, you dont have to join weight watchers. I joined online for the first 3mo but after that I knew I could do it on my own and went to a half price book store and bought the ww cookbooks.

good luck and I hope you find something that works for you

melissa
melissatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lion-you would probably do best with a lower fat program. One of my favorites in that genre in called volumetrics. Actually, the core program at weight watchers is based on this program. It's designed around the energy density of food-foods that have a lot of water and fiber are less dense than those that have a lot of carbs and fat. The book is written by Barbara Rolls and I think she has even written some menu plans. However, that being said, it is important that you find something that works for you over the long term. If you can't do the program forever, it will never work.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #4  

Thanks! that is much appreciated. Low fat is the way to go for me cause the gallbladder pain is not bearable if i mess up, whcih i have not so far due to fear. I am going to order the volumetrics for now and see what i can do. more fiber is good cause i know i dont get enough, even with supps i take. i have a window of time where the anxiety doesnt hit me so i can be drug free and will take advantage of that....its funny, i consider myself an informed person but do not know of any of these diets..lol.
that being said, i will look into it and see if its something i can live with..cause my dietary habits are far less calories than most people consume but yet i stay at my weight plus or minus 10 lbs..weird but makes sense in a strange way, body does not like starvation mode
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166.8S/160.4C/125G

Have you read Eat to Live? That sounds like a book that will really speak to you in your situation. It's eye-opening!
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Basil-I have read that book. My concern about it is that it more or less gives you license to eat all the sugar you want as long as you control your fat intake and I have a hard time seeing that as a healthy diet. My personal opinion. I've read more diet books than I care to mention.

Last edited by petra65; 04-13-2010 at 09:42 AM.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, Lion! I'm in the quality profession too - for a solar panel company. Sounds like the volumetrics/WW program would be a good choice for you!

WW taught me a LOT about portion control when I was starting out on the weight loss path, but I'm just the opposite - I only thrive on a high-fat diet. So I did OK on WW, but I was crabby, couldn't sleep, couldn't think, hair and fingernails breaking, and skin just about flaking off in sheets!

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Hi Lion and welcome! I can't comment on the Volumetrics as I haven't read up on that system.

I can say that EXERCISE has been a huge key for me in my journey. It took me a good month of calorie counting and eating healthier before I found what I needed for me to get myself active safely. I have arthritis and knee and spine issues and have to be very careful. What I settled on was the Walk Away The Pounds (WATP) DVDs led by Leslie Sansone. Many people here have used them. Some have moved on to more vigorous types of exercising after easing into it with the WATP DVDs. (I started with the 18-minute, 1 mile walk and wondered if I would actually make it through! I am now doing 2 or 3 miles most mornings.) I plan to stay with the WATP, as it works for me. I get up early in the mornings and get my workout done before I get the boys up for school.

If you are like me, you don't like hearing that you have to exercise...but you really do. It will help the weight come off, but more importantly, it will help how you feel physically and emotionally. Combined with my healthier eating habits, I feel better than I have felt in years, honestly.

I still feel like a neophyte in this process, but I just wanted to share what works for me. Good luck to you! You've found a great place for support and input.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #9  

i totally agree about the excersise...i am an ex gym rat so i totally get that! i am going to walk on lunch for now and see if i can meet anyone who is doing the same as me..