General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 07:38 PM   #1  

Default need advice- tried so many diets

Hi, I new here. I am hoping I can learn something on this site. I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks and only lost a pound. I was strictly at the induction level. I really hated doing that diet cause it left me tired and I didnt lose very much.
So yesterday, I cheated and now I'm off it.
I really dont know where to go from here.
I have tried many diets. Some I lost weight on but gained back. I tried slimfast but gained it back because I was always hungry and it got boring. I tried body for life. Gained LOTS of muscle, no fat loss. I bulked up and now I look even bigger than to begin with. Also, I hated the 6 meals a day. I like 3 better.
I am wanting to lose about 25 pounds.

I am burned out on diets where I have to buy a book and learn comlicated rules. I know there has to be something simpler out there. I want a healthy diet and I want to stop yo-yo ing. Please help!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:57 PM   #2  

Hi Skipper88, I think most of us here have been in your shoes at one time or another. All I can tell you is what worked for me. I had tried every diet that came along and FINALLY decided to simply cut back on what I ate and increase the amount of exercise that I did. I baked or grilled instead of frying, used about half the amount of dressing on salads, in short just made adjustments in the amount of fats and calories that I consumed. I did not keep a journal (hate doing that) nor did I binge when I slipped up, this was and is, a one meal at a time thing. Once a week I have a splurge meal, I eat whatever I want but not all that I want. And each week I can look forward to that meal without guilt. I lost 38 pounds, this wasn't overnight but slow and steady. Some weeks I showed no loss at all but this is a way of life that I can live with.

Hope you can find a lifestyle or plan that works for you. Look around and find a thread that has your similar interest and jump in you'll love the support. Your welcome to come on over to "Doing our own Thing #4" Great bunch of gals and we have challenges and just talk about every day life.

Best of Luck to You.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi Skipper88,

I also post on the Doing our own thing#4 thread. We are a fairly small group, always looking for new people. There are about 10 of us that chat. We're trying different things. I count calories. But that is my choice. Will I do it for the rest of my life? Who knows. I'm hoping that eventually it will become engrained in this tiny brain of mine. I also got the Body for life book. Haven't done much with it. I've looked at Atkins, have never tried it though (love bread and pasta). I want something to last. By counting calories, I have whatever I want. If I want a cheeseburger, cool. Can I spare 700 calories? sure. Hhhmmm, cookies (2) 150 calories, okay. I still have some calories left for the day. Counting calories is just what is working for me at the moment. I may change, who knows. What I do know, is that I'm drinking plenty of water and exercise 5 days a week, slowly upping it to 6 and then hopefully 7. I hope you find something that works. Oh yeah, I also have a "free" day. No calorie counting. I think everyone needs a free day, otherwise we start to feel deprived and binge. In the begining I took my free day to the extreme and stuffed everything into my mouth, but am now gaining more control. Good Luck and feel free to come talk to us.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:43 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi there -

Check out the thread I started today - there's some words of wisdom that just might help you out!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=19917

And remember - this is NOT an easy journey. There is no such thing as 'easy weight loss' - if there was, wouldn't we all be lean? It's a rough road, but the rewards are sweet, trust me!
Old 09-13-2002, 08:39 AM   #5  

Skipper, maybe part of the problem is putting so much emphasis on the weight itself. You said you bulked up on BFL, but perhaps you didn't stick with it long enough for those new, larger muscles to start burning off the fat. Take a look at MrsJim's signature -- she doesn't care what the scale says, she just knows what size she's wears and knows that she feels and looks good! (And boy, she does!)

I don't do BFL myself (although who knows, I may soon!), but I have been lifting for about 3 months now and feel great about it. I have about 75 pounds to lose to reach my "goal," but that goal is just a ballpark figure ... I chose it because it's around average for my height. My REAL goal is to love the way I feel, look and fit into clothes. In my state of unfitness, it will take me a long time to get there, but I know I will get there eventually. I know because after three months, I already feel so much better and have more energy. And that's what keeps me focused on my plan.

Good luck -- I hope you can find a program that works for you.
Pen
Closed Thread