Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Newbie ^_^

Hello...

I feel a little out of sorts so beware of rambling! I'm 24 about to be 25 on the 10th. Just starting out on this journey and feeling a bit lost. I feel like I know sooo much about weight loss, but have trouble applying it.

I suppose I am looking for what to start. The one thing I'm working on is cutting out soda. I've done well. I went from like a 2liter a day to maybe 20oz a week. I lost 30lbs doing that. It's been really hard trying to supplement that with water but I'm getting better.

After that I am just kind of stuck. I tried nutrisystem...the food was mostly icky. I am such a picky eater. I think I feel kinda like I am doomed because I hate vegetables. The ones I've tried mind you, I know there are millions. That is my biggest hurdle. I feel like I know I won't be able to get healthy until I learn to like vegetables. So, that is what I am working on now. Also, I'm fighting a very large addiction to fast food. -sigh-

I've got type II diabetes and PCOS, my bloodwork is horrible and very scary. You'd think that would be motivation right? haha.

I love exercise but it's just going to the gym that is the problem. I'm looking into a personal trainer. I'm competitive so I like to be challenged. If only I had some local friends. Maybe I can find someone here...Who knows?

Anyway, if you've read this far. Where did you start? How did you stay away from being overwhelmed? At this point I'm exhausted and overwhelmed, but hopeful.

So wow, didn't mean to ramble *this* much, sorry and Hi! ^_^
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #2  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

It can be very daunting at first no matter how much you have to lose, because you know that if you don't want the weight to come back, the changes you make have to be for life, for the most part. Cutting back on soda and adding in gym time sounds like a great start. What about going to the gym is a problem for you? Getting there? Motivation? If it's the latter, finding an activity you like is like finding a veggie you like Maybe you would like something like spinning, to get your competitive juices going. Maybe you can mix up fun outside activities with going to the gym so you don't have to go that often.

As for cooking more at home and liking veggies, I suggest a crock pot and a really simple veggie stew that can be made mostly from veggies you just keep on hand (canned or frozen) rather than have to buy fresh. Diced tomatoes, cannelini beans, frozen green beans, garlic, onions, and frozen butternut squash can all go into the crock pot in the morning, add a little water and whatever spices you like (mrs. dash and tony's work for me), and when you come home, you have a great base for a meal. You can eat it plain, serve it over pasta/rice/cous cous or make cornmeal dumplings to go in it for a comfort factor (I did this the other day with oatmeal instead of cornmeal bc I didn't have any and it worked just fine).

Adopting healthier behaviors is totally possible. To keep from getting overwhelmed, I don't ban any particular foods so I don't feel deprived, and I count calories to make sure I keep in in moderation. So, it's ok to eat McDonald's for me. I know though that some ppl to break a junk food addiction have to go cold turkey bc it's a trigger for binging. You just have to figure out what works for you. Good Luck!
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #3  

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! Crockpot sounds like a plan. I know I have one somewhere. That's a great idea too since I don't tend to have a lot of time after work to cook dinner. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Hi, ! Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

There is a sub-forum on 3FC called "Veggie Challenged" that may be helpful: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/

Starting out was overwhelming (exciting and relieving as well, but definitely overwhelming), and I still feel overwhelmed sometimes, but I've learned to basically put one foot in front of the other, to take it day by day (or meal by meal, choice by choice), and keep going because I KNOW that overwhelming or not, the alternative is too nightmarish to tolerate.

It's easy to say "I can't do this anymore" and stop exercising, stop eating healthy foods, binge until I feel sick and then do it over again - that IS easy to do. What was really hard was being obese, panicking about not being able to find shoes to wear for a job, missing out on a social life, believing that no guy would ever be interested in me because my weight was such an obstacle, trying to squeeze into seats and worrying that some of them might break under me in an auditorium full of 200 people or in someone's back yard. THAT was SIGNIFICANTLY MORE DIFFICULT than losing weight has EVER been.

Being obese just isn't worth it. It's that realization that keeps me going. I've missed out on so much in life, and I don't want to miss out anymore. In addition to that, once you get started it's easier to keep going. You build up momentum, have seen encouraging results, may have the rewards that come along with being healthier, stronger, a smaller size, etc. and the light at the end of the tunnel begins to shine brighter .

Good luck!

Last edited by beautifulone; 03-31-2010 at 10:43 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

From one pcos-er to another- it's not an easy road, but you CAN do it! Congrats on youre loss so far!

It sounds like you've taken some big steps and I think it's great that you're starting with a trainer. You mentioned wanting a gym buddy, but a trainer will be great for now- they will take a lot of the pressure off and help you come up with a plan of action as well as challenge you. I hope you find one that you mesh well with!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. I think this site is exactly what I needed!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

welcome!

its totally do able! You have already started with the soda- just apply that logic to other areas. When I started I picked one thing a week to start working on. So one week it was soda. Then it was changing snacks- finding alternatives for biscuits (an ultimate weakness) that kept me going. Then it was fast food and takeaways- find out what you like and make it yourself! Burgers are easy, even fries are easy! I like to take a potato, chop it into wedges, toss with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and bake. Sooo good and waaaaay less calories, sodium and general nastiness than take away fries. If you like pizza thats easy to make too! Pizzas are actually pretty fun to make at the start of your journey, I found that it taught me a lot about different fresh ingredients, what herbs work together, etc etc.

It could be useful to make a little extra for dinner and save some for lunch the next day. I dont know if you work or study etc, but i do know its easy to just go grab fast food for lunch if you dont have time to make a sandwich etc in the morning. This way you dont have to worry about it and you save time in the morning too.

Exercise is tricky. When I started I tried lots of different things and found something i liked to make my focus. For me it was running, you might take a different approach. Anyway, once i had that focus i could set exercise goals which were seperate to weightloss, so even if i had a crappy week weightloss wise I still felt i was making progress somewhere. And i was able to incorporate other exercises like weight training to help me get better and stronger at running. Its made it really fun for me So having a focus is useful. I kept a little notebook with me and wrote down what I did, my goal for that day, and my progress. Usually it was just to run 10m further than last time. Doesnt sound like a lot, but sometimes it is a real push! And if you are running every day it adds up! So you get my point. Goals. Progress. Nice

And I always remember to do my best for that day, every day. That means that sometimes my best is running 10km in my best time ever, and sometimes my best is just getting out of bed in the morning and walking for half an hour. As long as I do my best, its ok.

I didnt start out with a personal trainer, but i have one now and its a lot of fun to have a kinda partner in crime who shares your goals, knows how much you can take, and pushes you. So definately look into that if you are interested.

I also started out reading this book "Fighting Globesity" by Phillip and Jackie Mills (founders of the Les Mills gyms). It is very very good I think at getting you going. It makes fitness and health something everyone can achieve, which was something i didnt really believe was possible for me (even though i was going to try). So if you can find that at your library or bookstore and peruse it, it could also be helpful.

This was really long >.< But you see, you have so much potential!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #8  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
Anyway, once i had that focus i could set exercise goals which were seperate to weightloss, so even if i had a crappy week weightloss wise I still felt i was making progress somewhere.
Totally second this.

And hi Icon! Look at you, Ms. 141
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #9  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Welcome!

I think you’re having some of the same “issues” that a lot of us have, especially when we really sit down and try to restructure our eating habits. It’s hard to go from one lifestyle to the next completely opposite lifestyle…and I don’t think anyone does it without some struggles.

Veggies: I’m not a huge fan myself. What I’ve found though is that their easy to slide in unnoticed…or that I can sacrifice just one of my yummier snacks for a bag of baby carrots and not feel like I’m torturing myself. I really like veggies in stir fry though…if it’s cooked right and healthily, it’s YUMMY and good for ya, too. Just make yourself some little goals….like, eat one veggie a day. Or try a new recipe with vegetables and really give it a shot. Creativity helps sometimes. Also, like with cutting out soda, little changes can make huge differences!

I also was addicted to fast food. That unfortunately takes some time and will power to get over. Give it a few weeks, pace yourself, and you WILL notice your desire for fast food go away a little. You might still want it, but the overwhelming need will lessen. It did for me anyway. It’s easier for me to just shrug and say “no” now rather than getting all worked up over a cheap cheeseburger. My body is starting to adjust to eating healthier (finally!).

Good luck with everything…I’m glad you joined. Keep us posted on everything and I look forward to hearing about all your success!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestroad View Post
Totally second this.

And hi Icon! Look at you, Ms. 141
hey well, 142 now >.< I kinda had an identity crisis about being at and beyond goal, and went back to 144
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #11  

blahh... water weight... weigh in at different times of the day, and i bet you get 3 different weights. ;-)
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote