Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Older women need 1-hour workouts to fend off flab

because aging isn't enough fun already

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100323/...le_aged_spread
Quote:
At least an hour of moderate activity a day is needed for older women at a healthy weight who aren't dieting. For those who are already overweight — and that's most American women — even more exercise is called for to avoid gaining weight without eating less, the study results suggest.
The results bolster a 2002 Institute of Medicine report that emphasized the importance of balancing diet and exercise and recommended at least 60 minutes daily of moderate activity for adults and children. But the study also indicates that the 2008 U.S. guidelines urging about a half-hour of exercise five days a week won't stop weight gain while getting older without cutting calories, said Dr. I-Min Lee, the study's lead author.

The study underscores some inevitabilities about aging.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/137/106

Height: 5'3"

Well hopefully that piece of knowledge will encourage people to eat healthy in addition to exercising. Most of us on here already know the importance of combining the two, whether you are trying to live a healthy life or lose weight. I wonder though if the hour of exercise they are referring to includes the kind of exercise that the institutions like the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the Institute of Medicine refer to. For them, an hour of brisk walking, gardening, or yard work all count toward that hour. If you up the intensity I am guessing you can cut that time down.

No day but today,
Dana
SickCycleCarousel is offline   Reply With Quote