General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #1  

Default Calories Are Off

I have been following my calories lately and have been coming up rather short. Never figured I would end up doing that!
Today I am only at 757 (and bed is in a few hours), yesterday I squeaked in at 1001, and the day before 1009.
When I saw a nutritionist/dietician last year, I am "supposed" to be at 1500 calories, 30 grams of fat, and 150-174 grams of carbs per day. My fat is about average/low average and my carbs are running on the low side.
I am not trying to starve myself and I do eat a variety of foods. Not sure what to add (I eat plenty of fruits/veggies) that will fill me up a bit, not mess with my fat intake, and not really mess up my carbs.
Thanks!
StressedNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

What are you eating, specifically? How are you measuring? (weight? volume? eyeballing?)

How do you feel--are you short-tempered, impatient, have trouble concentrating, sleepy?
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

If you do not feel hungry and you are losing, I wouldn't worry with it. Try to keep in mind all the other days you went the opposite direction! That's what I do. In my experience, when I go through spells like these they will subside!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
What are you eating, specifically? How are you measuring? (weight? volume? eyeballing?)

How do you feel--are you short-tempered, impatient, have trouble concentrating, sleepy?
I do mostly weighing and volume...I am not very good at eyeballing. I am also all of those things you mentioned about feelings ...but figured those were due to medicines and children. Lots of stress in my life.

For breakfast, I make myself eat cereal (multigrain cheerios) with 1% milk or plain oatmeal (I wasn't a breakfast eater until the Dr made me start doing it). Lunch is usually a salad with some cheese and croutons or sandwich/soup (today was grilled cheese and tomato soup...2% cheese, healthy bread, soup made with 1% milk). Snack was a banana or sometimes an apple with natural peanut butter. Dinner depends on lots of things but tonight was some leftover corned beef (1 oz) and a med potato (with 1 tsp yogurt butter and 1 tbs light sour cream). That isn't typical for me though. There are usually more/healthier veggies and a better protien.
I get at least 2 litres of liquid a day if not more. And I make myself work out once a day.
StressedNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I think you should make yourself eat 1500 calories a day and see if all those other things go away-hunger doesn't have to mean stomach pangs. I know short tempered, impatient, can't concentrate are the symptoms of hunger for me, and they are unsustainable in the long run--you will go off your diet eventually.

Try 1500 for 3 weeks. See if you lose weight. See if you feel better. Look at it this way: if you do this for 3 weeks, you certainly won't gain weight. If you lose weight and discover you can eat like that and lose weight while feeling good, it's a huge discovery, a whole way of life. If you don't lose, you've only lost a little time. It's worth the time.

As far as what to eat, I'd click on people's Fitday links and see what they eat.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #6  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I average my calories and do not pay such close attention to daily calories. Hunger can be different on different days, as can eating situations (restaurants, holidays) and so each day can really vary. I pay close attention to monthly averages and the weight lost within a month's time to see if I need to adjust for the next month.

I think it is important to blend intuitive eating with structured calorie counting to be able to transition well to a maintenance plan. Structure is important in the beginning of the diet when eating is completely out of whack. When the weight has been lost, it is important to learn to eat to body cues and needs.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote